Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What Is My Problem ?!? >
  • What Is My Problem ?!?

• What Is My Problem ?!?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:56 PM

We're riding on the same bus! I don't have a solution other than to keep what you know you'll finish and get rid of the others. Some of the old ideas/kits don't appeal to me anymore or it's been over 10 years since the baby was born. We need to turn the page(s) and move on!
    Old 03-19-2015, 01:10 PM

Ghostrider mentioned fear of failure. OMG that was a biggie for me!

Let me tell you I have had some epic sewing disasters!
    Old 03-19-2015, 02:13 PM

I have periods of time when I just don't want to work on anything I have going. Since I've made myself a promise not to accumulate any more UFOs I had been really good about finishing whatever I started until I ran out of green thread in the middle of quilting the third edge of my border for the QAYG I had going. So started next project and got two different versions going. Now have made it to store for green thread and have that third side done and ready to do final end then attach border on all four sides and only binding left to do!

Sometimes breaking the quilting project down into "bite-size" pieces that can be finished in a shorter amount of time gives you that necessary feeling of accomplishment that finishing a crochet item gives you.

Last edited by mom-6; 03-19-2015 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Old 03-19-2015, 02:21 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Sometimes, even though your quilt isn't finished, you are finished with your quilt.
    I find, when I have to remind myself of this, it's often because i really just wanted to see how the colors and blocks worked together rather than have a completed quilt.
    And after 30+ years I've given myself permission to work this way without shame or frustration. Got to leave something for the following generations, right?

Jan in VA
    Old 03-19-2015, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz
    Ghostrider mentioned fear of failure. OMG that was a biggie for me!

Let me tell you I have had some epic sewing disasters!
    Yes I've been thinking about this lately. I think that's my problem, I want to be creative and produce lovely things, but maybe they won't turn out as I hope and I'm not the creative person I'd like to be. I spend ages looking at pictures, patterns, fabrics and dream what might be, but don't actually do much. I frustrate myself as I need to just do it, enjoy and learn as I go, I won't be selling them and would only give to family that would appreciate the gift, not judge so really what's to worry if it's not perfect.

I think it's different with other crafts, for example knitting, I pick a pattern, a colour of wool and just knit it, I don't over think it or worry how it will turn out as know it will look near enough like the picture when I've finished so I suppose it is down to confidence too.
    Old 03-19-2015, 03:18 PM

Mitty, it is very hard to offend me. Over time, I found that being offended by someone is really granting them power over me.

Rest easy, because I understood what had happened. I've made similar mistakes on more than one occasion!
    Old 03-19-2015, 03:20 PM
    Power Poster

all I can say is you've come to the right place.
    Old 03-19-2015, 04:48 PM

I have a quilt kit that my DH bought for me several years ago. At first I lost it! I finally found it. I have since started a few other projects. I went through some health problems and couldn't do anything, let alone quilt. My DH calls me a "collector". I buy fabric and patterns and they just sit there. I think I miss my family when I am alone in my sewing room. This thread has opened my eyes and I am going to pick something and start on it.
    Old 03-19-2015, 06:28 PM

Put each WIP (works in progress is more encouraging than unfinished projects) in a clear storage bag with a clearly written target date for finishing it. Be realistic about date and your willingness to work on it. If you suspect that you won't ever work on it again, give the whole bag away, along with pattern and whatever extra fabric goes with it.
    I am looking right this minute at three quilt tops, two lap size and one twin size that will go Saturday to one of the quilt guilds to which I belong, along with enough muslin to make backs. The guild is meeting Saturday to tie community service quilts. I am so grateful to the guild for the opportunity to get rid of these three tops that have pricked my conscience for months. But if the tops were not going to the guild, they would be going to a thrift shop where, without a doubt, someone would think they had struck gold when they found them. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    Try this. don't start another project until you finish one. Make a list and put a finished date which is a goal. Give yourself realistic time and see how you can accomplish this. As you finish on ufo put it in a bag and keep for a gift at xmas or Birthday for who you want to have this. Take a picture and look at your acomplishments often. Good Luck!!!!
    Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 PM

All of these posts are great things to take to heart. Stay easy and small with your projects and you will hopefully finish your projects!