Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Is My Problem ?!? >

What Is My Problem ?!?

What Is My Problem ?!?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:28 AM

I make lists for the 5 projects I work on. This way I know exactly what needs to be done next on any given project. The supplies and directions for each project are kept together so I don't have to search. I have new projects on my list, along with projects I need to finish. It is the best of both worlds. I complete a UFO and still get to try something new! My projects are in varying stages so if I'm in the mood for piecing I pick that project, if I want to do handwork I pick that project. Crossing each line off a to-do list is extremely satisfying. It is difficult to stay focused when you have a limited amount of time to spend sewing. I had the same issue when I was working -- now that I'm retired I'm finishing a lot of those projects.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:16 AM

Sometimes I use lists too.

Earlier hand quilting was mentioned. I used to be a purist and believed everything should be done by hand. Guess I read too many Little House on the Prairie books. :-)

If you guys can do hand quilting, more power to you!

For me it's a major drag and I hate every minute of it.

I'm much happier doing everything possible by machine.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 AM

I think we expend a lot of energy thinking about it. I can speak from experience. Just this week, things have finally settled down and I am finishing up binding and doing little things. Get great feeling of accomplishment and things are finally getting done. When thinking about it, do something. As was mentioned, a little becomes a lot.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:19 AM

When I first started to quilt (yrs ago )I did not have much time either, by the end of the day something like crocheting was about all I could do, put your feet up and watch TV with the family.
I finally put my quilting on the back burner until I had more time and space for myself. I kept the started quilts that meant the most to me, found a new home for the rest.
When the time was right, several yrs ago, I came back to quilting and I'm truly loving every part and getting my projects done.
So maybe quilting is something you will truly enjoy abit later when you have more time.
For now make a quilt pattern collection of things you want to do. Like a Bride's book
Wait to buy the fabric, colors and prints do change
Old 03-19-2015, 09:34 AM

I just try to spend at least 10 minutes each day working on a project that is a victim of procrastination. Once I pick up on an old project, after a few days I find myself getting motivated to finish it.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

One thing I've never promised anything to anyone and they don't know I have works/ideas in progress. I have asked favorite colors and thanks to Facebook I am able to figure out their likes and dislikes. Even with a sewing room, it is not unusual to walk in and walk right back out just because "not today".
Old 03-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I have 18 UFOs, at least 7 of them are for events that have come and gone. Yes, I have the same issue and sorry, I have no solution (yet).

Sometimes I feel like changing my commentary from "I am a quilter" to "I am a wannabe quilter who talks a good game."
Old 03-19-2015, 11:56 AM

Now that I've reached the ripe old age of fifty I've come to realize I have much more patience and perseverance.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:39 PM

I think a lot of the time it's simply a fear of failure that keeps us, me at least, from going further with a project. You think of all the ways something can go wrong and forget to focus on it going right. It either becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy or you paralyze yourself with the fear of failure and stop working on it altogether. Can't fail if you don't go any further, right?

A couple years ago I decided that I wasn't going to allow that to stand in my way any longer and so I gave myself permission to fail with no guilt attached. The immediate result was that I was far more relaxed both mentally and physically when I was quilting and that made my work so much better. I've since learned that some quilts are just not meant to be finished, ever, by anyone, but those quilts are some of the best teaching tools that I have ever had.

Switching to a more positive outlook has worked out really well for me and I no longer live by the "If you spend enough time planning, you never have to actually do anything" rule...at least when it comes to quilting.

Last edited by ghostrider; 03-19-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:51 PM

After I retired last year, I reorganized my quilting room and found kits and ufo's I started years ago. I used to get overwhelmed and not be able to start or finish anything. I decided to only finish those I like and get rid of the others. Now if I start a new project, I will finish an older one that I like. I found an Americana type that I bought and started in 2009. I really like it so am working on it and quilting my granddaughters big girl quilt on another machine.