Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Is My Problem ?!? >

What Is My Problem ?!?

What Is My Problem ?!?

Old 03-19-2015, 05:27 AM

I have that same problem which I have created because I start something and then I see something different that catches my eye and there I go into a different direction. This year my goal is to complete one of my pending projects before I start something new. My UFO stack has decreased a little ( very little ) but I still have a long way to go. LOL
Old 03-19-2015, 05:37 AM

When I started my WIP I had no idea what I was going to do. I'm not good at planning everything in advance I just kind of figure it out as I go along.

My WIP was a Dresden Plate kit but the only thing included was the DP pieces.

I'm terrible at estimating what I'll need. I either do too much or too little

Once I figure out what I'm making first thing I do is cut my fabric but just for blocks. Then I chain piece everything, quilt the blocks as I go and assemble the quilt. While I'm doing this ideas for finishing drift in. I can't have too much going on or it bugs me-I have to do everything in stages.

Now I'm working on the borders.

I can't prep and plan all at once. It's just too overwhelming. I picked up background and backing at the thrift store and went back later for border fabric. Three cream colored bedsheets for around five bucks.

Cut background squares appliqued DPs then assembled block sandwichs quilted those and assembled quilt

I try and do everything I can in an assembly line manner in stages.

That way I don't get overwhelmed
Old 03-19-2015, 05:47 AM

Maybe you need to step back a little and do some analysis on yourself. You say you don't know why you stop working on things....why not? When you put a project away, do you already secretly know you're not going to want to come back to it? Do you put it away with regret that you have to stop, or are you glad to stop and can't wait to get it out of your sight?

Have you EVER finished a quilting project? How did you feel when you finished it? Were you glad to be done? Did you feel proud of your creation? Did you feel a little sad that the project was over? Did you hate to see it leave you? Maybe there's something about finishing a quilt and/or giving it away that makes you melancholy and you're subconsciously avoiding that feeling by not finishing them?

Do you work primarily from kits and patterns or do you do your own designing? Maybe the design phase is really what's fun for you and actually making the item isn't as thrilling. Maybe you're more of a designer than a maker? (I'm sort of like that.)

So there's some homework for you, LOL. YOU hold all the answers here, you just have to stop and observe yourself like an outsider would to figure it out.

But here's some good news - it's TOTALLY OK to just get rid of all your UFO's! Donate them somewhere; someone else will be happy to finish them and you'll be rid of these projects that seem to be weighing on you. And if you start to pull them out to donate and you find some that you just can't bring yourself to get rid of, maybe those are the ones you should start working on again; something about those projects in particular is calling to you.

Even if you're not ready to let go of any, try going through them as if you WERE going to get rid of all but one, and see which ONE is the most special or appealing to you and start with that one as your next project.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2015, 06:34 AM

It's natural for the beginning of a project to feel more exciting than being halfway through. Some of the most immediate gratification comes at the beginning, when we're making decisions, choosing fabrics, spending money. The satisfaction that comes with working through a project is just as great, but not as immediate. So first of all, don't be down on yourself. It sounds like your really big problem is not having a dedicated sewing space. It wastes so much time and energy when you have to put projects away, and then get them going again. So I would suggest, focus on one project -- create a sewing space, where you can leave a project out until it's finished. I also second the suggestion that you might try working on something that isn't designated for a particular person or event, and see if that affects your attitude about finishing it.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

When I was quilting professionally, I had NO time to work on my quilts or charity projects. If you enjoy doing your crocheting, then take time away from quilting and enjoy that hobby. If there is something that you KNOW you will never finish, give it to someone who may enjoy finishing up the project. Being disable, I don't make any larger quilt anymore. I am doing mostly laps and baby quilts for charity and some wall hanging for myself and friends. Take a vacation from quilting and when the time is right, try finishing up just one UFO. You may be choosing projects that may be too complicated for you.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:46 AM

For me it wasn't the size or difficulty of a project that was the problem. It was that I made it too hard on myself.

I found I needed certain things in order to enjoy the process.

- a dedicated sewing place or at least the ease of setting one up and being able to leave it for a few hours. Also, when my kids were younger I had to be able to monitor them without difficulty while also sewing/quilting, even if that meant the kitchen/dinning table. Heaven was when I finally bought a cabinet where I could lower my sewing machine and keep it off the great room!
- a comfortable chair at the right height and padding.
- good light.

Those were the needs, besides time. I used the old 10-20-30 Minutes to get going if time was a concern. There are lots of things I can do that don't take huge amounts of time but will advance whatever project I am working on: preparing the process by knowing the directions and rewriting them if necessary; possibly making a trial block if I feel it would help my process; and prewashing, ironing, and sorting fabric.

I DO NOT cut out all my material at once. This makes the project seem daunting. It does get boring too quickly that way. I have committed to a certain size as far as the material goes. I only cut enough for 10 or less blocks. To me that means I get the wonder of making the project quite a few times and my interest doesn't lag.

Yes, I do have some quilt tops that I haven't quilted yet. I try to do that when I have a larger span of time.

Those projects that I don't really enjoy I do donate to one of my quilt groups/guilds for charity quilts.

Each of us is different. For me, as my skill level increased so did my enjoyment of quilting. I am more than glad I took the time to challenge myself and learn more. The journey is really enjoyable.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

This is the reason I have so many UFO's. Having said that, I do finish many projects. I used to feel bad about not completing every little thing. Now, I tell myself that I have NOT wasted fabric, I have started something for someone else. Don't stress over it. Go through them and see if one does not strike your eyes, and maybe you will finish that one. As someone else said, give yourself a realistic deadline.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:02 AM

When I started quilting I decided I wouldn't start a new project unless I had finished the last as I have so many knitting ufos I didn't want to repeat it with a new hobby. Problem is my friend and I started a class project neither of us liked, she has started new things, but I've just stalled 3/4 of the way through hand quilting mine. She found the answer recently though, she promised the quilt to a charity raffle, they were so excited and asked her how it was going all the time so within two weeks it was a done and she said it felt like a weight lifted it had left the house.

I'm back reading threads here to motivate myself to finish the thing, thankfully when I dragged it out I was further along than I thought and it didn't look as bad as I remembered, I might like it by the time I've finished it!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:10 AM

You are not alone -- me, too -- but most of my projects get done like the Christmas gifts and the rows/blocks for my bee -- but I seem to accomplish very little despite all my plans and desire to get them done unlike some in my bee that seem to get a new quilt done each time we meet!! -- a little at a time seems to help some, but....
Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 AM

Been there, done that. I realized just yesterday that it has been close to a whole year since I used my quilt machine. Got lots of tops done but not quilted. Now I'm on a timeline so can't waste anymore time. I do find out that I seem to work better under stress though. Finally finished my 1st quilt top yesterday so on to the next one and getting it quilted. Already have 2 projects waiting in the side lines but told myself I can't start them till I get all the tops needing quilting quilted, bound and out of the house. All my quilts are made as gifts for others so its not like its a job for me but more like a hobby................expensive hobby I might add with the price of fabric and thread going upward.