Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 AM

I climbing aboard again but this time as a passenger and not the engineer. My goal is to complete 3 UFO's. If I can do that, I will be happy. Welcome everyone who wants to climb on board and my special thanks to Janice who is this year's engineer. How soon before we toot the whistle for our first finished UFO?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:26 AM

I am in too. Not sure how many UFOs I have but 10 or more??? I had decided that this year is my no more new projects until I finish all the large quilts. Am working on one right now that I started about 5 years ago and it is 1/2 done so it will finally get finished I hope!
Old 01-02-2016, 09:41 AM

Last year I sat down and made a list and had 12 I finished half of them along with all the other new projects I started and finished. Roughly in addition to finishing 6 old projects I started and finished another 20. I went thru everything the other day and found I still had 12 lol. I somehow made 6 new UFO's.

So for starters I will prioritize the 6 that did not get done and go done from there. I will be fine if I don't keep squirreling off to new projects lol.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:53 AM

I'm in again! I had 13 UFO finishes last year and only added 5 to the UFO list so I think this group really worked for me. I didn't post much but I read everyday and that prodded me to get out another UFO to complete. Thanks to everyone on the UFO train last year!
Current UFO count 14...ugh!
Old 01-02-2016, 09:54 AM

Hello team. I haven't been very active since 2012, except to create UFOs!!!
UFOs: 28
Swaps: 8
Kits: 16 (4 listed on eBay. I'll get a finish by the end of the week for sure! He he)
Old 01-02-2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I will be jumping on this train too-- I have way too many! Large and small in many stages of completion from just cut out, partially made blocks, stacks of blocks, constructed tops needing borders and tops waiting for quilting... Some I want to just make go away ( pass on) , some I truly want to finish. I can certainly use some encouragement and motivation.
This sounds exactly like me, every year I say I will not begin anything new until I finish at least half of the ufo in the closet, tops, tops waiting for boarders and blocks patiently waiting to be tops. I have a top made of exchanged blocks from 2005, time to finish that for sure. Maybe this will get me going. Let's get it done!!!
Old 01-02-2016, 11:48 AM

Well, Sandy, I'd say we need to toot that horn right now.

Toot!Toot!!!

The first toot of the year goes out to Allspots for the first finish of 2016! Anyone who hasn't seen her beautiful finish, check out post #32 just below. Congrats and thank you for starting this adventure off right.

Just an fyi, I'm going to attempt to keep an up to date log of all finishes so I should be able to tell you where we are with our monthly tally on any given day. I plan to check in here frequently for any new finishes and to catch up on what the group is up to. (I plan to but you know how plans go...) I know a couple of you from other swaps but many of you are new to me so I hope to learn a bit about you. Please feel free to tell us something about yourselves and your individual finishes. Let's make it fun and encourage each other frequently and loudly!

There's plenty of room left and we will gladly take new passengers at any time so you don't need to wonder if you can join a month or more out. Anytime you've got a UFO and need a boost to finish it, jump on board, if you haven't already.

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
I climbing aboard again but this time as a passenger and not the engineer. My goal is to complete 3 UFO's. If I can do that, I will be happy. Welcome everyone who wants to climb on board and my special thanks to Janice who is this year's engineer. How soon before we toot the whistle for our first finished UFO?

Last edited by Janice McC; 01-02-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:21 PM

I have a number of very old UFOs that I want to get done and a bunch of quilt tops that need to be quilted once I get my new-to-me machine quilting frame in a few weeks; but the majority of my unfinished projects are purchased kits or fabrics collected on my own for quilts that aren't even started.

One of those very old UFOs was a foundation-pieced pineapple that only had about 8 blocks finished. The fabrics were old and very much out-of-fashion. I had no desire to finish a full-sized quilt. So...I put the finished blocks together, added a border and voila...a table runner or bed runner. It is now in the pile of tops that need to be quilted. That is one a little closer to finished.

Count me in. This will be incentive for me to work on what I have and not buy more.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:56 PM

I missed some......

7. Christmas Heart table runner. I bought this at a thrift store and it needs quilting. It has taken me all year to design a pattern. I finally came up with an Ivy leaf twine for around the perimeter of the heart and then in the space between the hearts and the boarder I wan to do Holly leaves and berries in little clusters. I'm excited about it because I am a new quilter and had just started practicing FMQ last year.

8. Lighted Wreath. I bought this last year hoping that there would be a class this year but there wasn't. The wonderful woman at the LQS told me how to do it. This is another one that I am excited about.

9. Loralie Tea Tote. I love Loralie fabrics. i've never done a tote but I look forward to trying it. I always need more totes.

10. Modified Peony Wall Hanging 24x24. Quilt Club Challenge.

11. Pet BOM 6 blocks. Quilt Club Challenge.

I am currently finishing a Raggedy Brick Lap Quilt for charity. It should be done by friday to be turned in. If not we'll finish it up on tuesday at our quilting bee.

Then I'm going to restart piecing the star flower single bed quilt for charity.

Those are my short term goals at the moment and I'm looking forward to doing it all because of this challenge. It keeps me going.

These things do multiply when you turn out the lights don't they?

Last edited by tkhooper; 01-02-2016 at 02:00 PM. Reason: More UFO's turned up.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:45 PM

My first UFO I'm going to work on is the Christmas Wreath. Started it 3 years ago and bought the embellishments in November but didn't get them put on so I'm going to do them this weekend and it can be packed away ready for next Christmas. Will post picture when it's done.