Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
your sewing desk/cabinet/surface >

your sewing desk/cabinet/surface

your sewing desk/cabinet/surface

Old 11-08-2016, 01:39 PM

I have one of the old "teacher's" style desk that has drawers that will not open unless I open the top drawer. I love it because I did not have to worry about my little room mates getting ahold of my rotary cutter, pins, needles, etc.
I also have an office chair that is adjusted perfectly for using the desk with the sewing machine on top. I am considering having BIL inset the machine on the right side of it, but not so far. I am not sure I am willing to lose one of the two writing surfaces that are built into it (like cutting boards in a kitchen). Funny how hearing that little "bwang" noise when the drawers are released, reminds me of happy times in grade school. Paid $35 for the desk at Goodwill, and $15 for the office chair at "Restore". Living on a disability forces me to be very frugal.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:47 PM

I sew on a computer table ($15 at college auction). My Bernina rests on the spot where the keyboard would go. That level is adjustable so my DH raised it so that the machine bed and large computer table are at the same height. Most of the table is to my left ----absolutely perfect for quilts!!!! What a great find!!!!
Old 11-08-2016, 02:32 PM

I'd love to see pictures! My husband and I are trying to design one very similar and could use the ideas!
Old 11-08-2016, 03:36 PM

I hope I am giving you a link to my sewing cabinet from Sewvacdirect.com . I've had Bertha for about 8 years now and it suits my needs perfectly. It was a good price for me, medium range, but didn't have to wait and watch for a Craigslist bargain, yet no where near a Kangaroo. http://www.sewvacdirect.com/arrow-98...ing-extension/
Old 11-08-2016, 03:54 PM

I sew on a office desk my daughter s MIL was getting rid of. Nice big space for my sewing. Free.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:07 PM

Working with a tiny budget and being really short statured sent me on rounds to the thrift shops and looking on Craigslist. I needed to be able to sit at the table I purchased so I could make sure it would work ergonomically. I found the white Gidget table on Craigslist for $30. A couple of months later I went into the local thrift store and headed for the office furniture section in search of a computer desk. I walked up the second isle and fell across a Horn sewing cabinet, held it in my arms and told DH to find someone who would take my money. DH made a template and cut out the cabinet so my Juki fits perfectly into the cabinet. I paid $20 for the Horn cabinet! I'm now looking for a small student desk for the Featherweight. When I quilt my quilts I use the white cabinet behind the Horn and put a card table behind that to make a long table. To my left I put a folding table and can quilt up to a full size quilt without it falling down beside or in front of me. Being broke is the best motivation for figuring out how to make do!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]561909[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]561910[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]561911[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails quilt-002.jpg   quilt-003.jpg   quilt-004.jpg  
Old 11-09-2016, 05:28 AM

This is another option if you aren't looking for something portable. It is something I had considered. I do have the Sewezi for retreats and like it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]561949[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1718.png  
Old 11-09-2016, 06:34 AM

Dogwood Quilter, I think that is what I may get. I called to make sure my large Bernina would fit and it does. I hate spending the money but I need to have a flat surface for sewing. I thought about the Gidget II but it doesn't seem to be as sturdy as this one.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:55 AM

I use an IKEA table with legs that are height adjustable. Then I bought a second top and cut out an area for my machine's extension table. This way if I get a new machine, I can still make it fit the area. I did have to make little "legs" for the second table top. I like the adjustable legs so that the top surface is the correct 29 inches from the floor.
Attached Thumbnails img_1410.jpg  
Old 11-09-2016, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I resemble this remark.

My sewing table is a simple, homemade creation that was given to me by a fellow quilter because she moved and it didn't fit in her new home.

Her husband took a 4'x8' sheet of plywood, built a simple frame of 2x4s attached underneath it, screwed some 4x4 posts in the corners as legs, and attached casters. There's a shelf underneath the table where I store fabric. He installed a light table by cutting a hole in the top and installing a small fluorescent light, and then attaching a piece of plastic on top. The plastic is the same stuff that covers fluorescent fixtures in kitchens and offices. The table is lower than a standard table, which makes the bed and extension table at the perfect height. There are 2 power strips attached so I can plug in my sewing machine, laptop, lights, and iron. This thing is large, moveable, and very, very sturdy. It's very basic, you don't need special skills to build it. If you know someone who can use a hammer and saw, and you're interested, I can post pictures and details.
. I would love to see a picture of your table. Sounds perfect!