Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
your sewing desk/cabinet/surface >

your sewing desk/cabinet/surface

your sewing desk/cabinet/surface

Old 11-07-2016, 10:13 PM

My sewing table is an old student desk with drawers which sit underneath down one side. The machine sits in the middle of the desk and I can put a cutting mat on top of the desk above the drawers. It is a good height and plenty of surface room.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
For my second machine, I bought a desk at the thrift store and cut a hole in the top to insert the machine. The machine actually sits in the centre drawer. The plastic table extension that was with the machine (legs off) butts up nicely to the machine to give a nice level surface.

I just used a small student's desk but if it were my main machine, I would look for a large (oversized even!) desk to convert. You can often find those at 2nd hand shops and the like at a very low cost. You may even be lucky enough to find a whole office set of desk and cabinetry and you could be all set.
I like this idea! Some office desks are huge and would offer a good sized work area for your sewing projects. Also good drawer space for storage. In our area there is an independently owned office/school supply store that sells recycled office furniture. I'd be trying there. Banks and schools usually have such furniture sitting in storage.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:21 AM

I purchased a farm table for $75 and my husband dropped the machine into the table for me....not the best job, but something I can live with. Underneath the table is a three drawer chest that holds thread. Should I need a larger table for more support while quilting I'm lucky enough to have an enormous tempered glass picnic table out on the enclosed sun porch. Works for me.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:26 AM

I have a Horn cabinet and I have some space on the right which I wanted. I do have the extended back and drawers to the left. I bought mine at the Houston show a while back and it was quite a bit less expensive than the Koala.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:28 AM

My daughter has a disability and uses a power wheelchair. We could never find a desk or table the right height to accommodate the armrests and joystick on her wheelchair. So we purchased a wide shelf and brackets and attached to the wall at the ideal height. Two 2 drawer file cabinets slid under each side. worked great and enabled her to do homework and use her computer with little expense.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:32 AM

My husband made a sewing table for me from a piece of plywood. He cut it in half. Used one half for the top and the other half for the ends. Made a slide out platform (like a computer keyboard slide) for my sewing machine to sit on. The slideout can be mounted on the right or left side of the table depending on the room set up. There is a shelf under the back side which give support and storage. The table has worked in several different rooms in our house and in two different houses.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:44 AM

The fold out table I have a Koala table and really like it. The fold out in the back is great. Also that the machine is on the right gives more room for the quilt. It has been so great to have machine at the level I need it.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:44 AM

I am following this post as I am going to be building a house and outfitting a sewing room. I, too, don't want to spend thousands of dollars on what I think are small sewing tables. I also want a cutting table that would fit a 36 x 60 inch cutting mat and and a large pressing station (not an ironing board). I'd like to recess my machine so that the bed is even with the top, but I also have an embroidery unit for it which I'm not sure what would be the best way to handle. Looking forward to any suggestions.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Right now my sewing room is set up similar to zozees. I was fortunate last year to pick up a 401 in a desk cabinet with 3 drawers. It has a 2' surface to the left of the machine. I have a 6' folding table along the side. It sets a couple inches lower but takes the weight off a lot when I needed it to sew a quilt on the 401. I can also set the portable on the 2' surface and sew there. Google sewing tables. Walmart had one fairly inexpensive with an inset for a sewing machine. I believe it was around $75. If you know a good carpenter show them what you're looking for and they maybe able to make one to your liking.
Originally Posted by zozee View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]561818[/ATTACH]My Janome MC 8200 sits in its own table. Did I buy them together? No. Found the table on Craigslist, many months before I bought the machine. Saved so much on the machine .

It abuts my pressing table at an L. Works for me. I haven't made a real big quilt yet so the weight or bulk behind the machine hasn't been an issue.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:04 AM

This is the cabinet I bought: http://www.sewvacdirect.com/search.p...Bertha&x=0&y=0
I love it. It has an extension table at its rear, and can be closed up to be a small cabinet.