Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
your sewing desk/cabinet/surface >

your sewing desk/cabinet/surface

your sewing desk/cabinet/surface

Old 11-07-2016, 04:38 PM

After sewing at my childhood desk for years, I decided to get one with a much larger surface area. I chose the Sew Perfect Table with the industrial K legs and also got the quilter extension on the back. Was lucky when I ordered it two years ago as they were just increasing their prices. It is well-made, heavy and cleans easily (pencil and pen marks).
Old 11-07-2016, 04:45 PM

If I try really hard, I can actually see my desk top! I am really bad at having a lot of clutter to the right of my machine.
I have an old, arborite(sp?) topped desk from a bank. It is extremely heavy, and has three drawers on the left side and a shelf at mid calf level along the backside.
My machine sits to the right of centre. I considered cutting out the top to sink my machine in flush but decided I like the flexibility of being able to move the machine or use the desk for something else.
I took an old keyboard drawer we weren't using and had it mounted beneath my machine to keep often used supplies like seam ripper, scissors etc.
It works great and in addition, it was a gift from a dear friend who was moving and didn't want it. As she has since passed away, I find myself thinking of her often when I sew.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:42 PM

I just found a Horn Cabinet at the thrift store for $20!!! This model retails for about $1,400. The door needs straightening and it was missing 3 drawer handles. But still in pretty good condition.

I also got my cabinet I use every day at a thrift store for $40. It has 7 drawers and folds out to 7 + feet of surface.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:45 PM

I watched the tutorials by Margarita McManus on how to make a surface out of foam board from Home Depot to fit
my sewing machine.
It works very well for me & was very inexpensive & needed no special tools to make it.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:24 PM

I have an old cheapie pressboard table with several drawers on the right hand side. I can't imagine now not having those drawers in another sewing table. I am extremely limited on space. I have seen a number of high end sewing tables with lifts on craigslist lately for really low prices. I keep looking as most of what I've seen are too large for my space. Definitely worth cruising CL.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:46 PM

I use an IKEA table and it works well for me. But one of these days, I want to do one like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIRsCbNVyBg Simple IKEA drawer units and a plywood top. Brilliant!
Old 11-07-2016, 08:13 PM

I've looked at both Koala and Horn cabinets; while I really like them, I can't justify the cost. Here is what I came up with. It is made out of two (assembly required) inexpensive cabinets, sold in the closet/organization section of Lowes with a piece of wood across the top. That piece has a cutout for an acrylic Dreamworld insert and a second piece of wood tht is dropped down for the machine itself to sit on. Each end cabinet is, of course, more storage space, so bonus there! The cabinets are like these: https://www.amazon.com/ClosetMaid-89...inate+Cabinets
Attached Thumbnails sewing-3.jpg  
Old 11-07-2016, 08:30 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I designed and had made for me the table below. A friend's DH made it and I painted and stained it. I pull up a small portable table as a ironing surface for block to my right. Larger pieces and finished tops are pressed on a "big board" at another larger table.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails my-sewing-table.jpg  
Old 11-07-2016, 09:12 PM

In this video, Eleanor Burns' sons demonstrate how to turn an inexpensive farmhouse kitchen table into a sewing table with a cut-out for your machine. (Demo starts at 12 minutes)

https://vimeo.com/15572417
Old 11-07-2016, 10:07 PM

I bought a Bernina with a white koala cabinet for $800 this past August. The loh had died and the husband had donated all her fabric stash to various church guilds that quilted, but he sold the cabinet and machine together. It had been online for a month before I saw it and bought it.