Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Allergy to Pets interfering with volunteer longarming >
  • Allergy to Pets interfering with volunteer longarming

• Allergy to Pets interfering with volunteer longarming

Old 05-02-2017, 02:36 AM

Wow. Everyone responding is so understanding. Maybe the ladies in the group will be too. I will talk to the coordinator about the issue.
    Perhaps it will be alright. That is if there's anyone in the group that doesn't have a pet. And if we can keep track of where the tops have been. Sometimes the cloth comes from several people and the tops get worked on in various locations.
    My other approach is to just do the whole process from start to finish. I'm a prewasher for this reason. I could make a list of all the charities that I could make quilts for and just do it on my own.
    I really appreciate all the responses. It's given me food for thought. I don't feel so weird and like I'm putting people out for being this way.
    Old 05-02-2017, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by marge954
    I haven't looked for someone to long arm my quilts for this exact reason. I'd would love to send a top out to be quilted but can't take the chance of it coming back with something clinging to it that would send me into a migraine or asthma attack. I can't tolerate perfume, scented candles, soaps, body products, laundry detergents, carpet fresh, animal dander and the list goes on. If you can't take in as many quilts you could let your guild know that you have an organic, pet free, smell free home and will quilt for others to make a little money to ease the guilt of having the long arm.
    I was going to purchase a long arm from a lady who decided to close her business. We drove 2 hours and when DH walked thru the door of her shop he immediately stopped and shoved me backwards. I could smell fragrance when DH opened the door and it reeked to high heaven. I peeked through the window and saw she had Glade Air Freshener's sitting all around the room. I called the lady from the parking lot and explained why I couldn't come in and look at the set up.
    This describes me exactly but not to the extreme you describe. It's always good to know there's another poor soul out there.
    In a fragrance world it is really tough. And so very difficult to understand. To me clean smells like nothing.
    Old 05-02-2017, 02:43 AM

Just one thought for anyone considering a mask for allergies or for anyone else. In my experience the paper masks are the least comfortable type of mask. Get the ventilator-type (not sure what they're called) that have the cartridges. I've worn mine for hours at a time while painting, and I find it comfortable. Plus you get to look like an alien!
    Old 05-02-2017, 03:12 AM

I totally agree with Quilt E. Your health comes first, and since you are doing this as volunteer quilting for others, they need to be considerate of you and about your health issues. If there are those who can't accept the fact that you do not want to quilt their quilts because of pet hairs and dander, tough, let them get their quilts done else where. Take a stand and let everyone know your problems and don't give in, you should NOT have to wear a mask or do anything extra for these folks and their quilts. I have had bad allergy issues all of my life, so I know what allergy problems are, most of mine are to many plants, and inhalants. I would never impose on those who ha such allergies if I knew ahead of time what their problem was. I don' have indoor pets, but I know many who do, and there is no such thing as an allergy free home with indoor pets- all pets shed. Good luck and I admire you for your generosity as a longarmer.
    Old 05-02-2017, 03:23 AM

For all of those people who do not and have never had allergies, they just don't understand how bad they can be for those who do suffer from allergies. I have allergies to many medications and most fragrances as well, and have to steer clear of them and especially in stores that sell scented candles and cosmetics/ perfumes. I can sell them a mile away it seems.
    Old 05-02-2017, 03:29 AM

QOV quilts are washed before they are gifted.

bkay
    Old 05-02-2017, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by bkay
    QOV quilts are washed before they are gifted.

bkay
    They are "supposed" to be washed. I know that isn't the case always.
    Old 05-02-2017, 05:10 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Okay, but my understanding, from what my friends and acquaintances say about pet allergies, is that most people are allergic to the dander, not the hair. So washing doesn't remove the dander?
    I don't really know your answer .....
    ....... though I would still be suspicious that it may not get fully washed out, with the quilt being contained in a bag, being that it just wouldn't be able to tumble and move around the same as being left "free" in a washing machine. KWIM?
    Old 05-02-2017, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Paper masks keep particulates out but not fumes. I wouldn't wear one in my own home to do volunteer work.
    Painting masks that auto techs use are NOT the cheap plastic ones. They have filters in them to filter out fumes. That's what they are made for.

I have used the paper ones in my home. I don't see a problem with it. I used to have severe dust allergies. Wearing a paper mask was much preferable to having an allergy attack from dust when I was cleaning.
    Old 05-02-2017, 05:37 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by popover
    I'm 70. I don't longarm, but I still stack hay and carry 50# sacks of feed. Being old doesn't have to make you feeble.
    I suspect that you are in exceptional physical shape.

I was speaking from experience of the toll it takes on me and other longarmers I know. It is mental as well as physical, especially custom work that is done well. I can still carry 50# sacks of feed, walk my dogs at least 3 mile every day, and manage to ride and 800lb + motorcycle but I am only in my late 50's. I also have fibromyalgia and CFS. I can only manage to longarm for a few hours a day on weekends plus I work full time. I belong to a longarming group and the vast majority of them don't foresee being able to maintain doing it much beyond their mid 70's, at least not for clients. Average burn out rate in the business is 10 years. Many give up their client base and volunteer work and only quilt for themselves. Not all are like that but Sval needs to be realistic. She has posted before that she has health issues.