Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to do you REDUCE STASH >
  • How to do you REDUCE STASH

• How to do you REDUCE STASH

Old 08-26-2022, 10:44 AM

Sewing time tomorrow at Bob's Sewing Center for PL. Packing up my machine and other stuff. Stuff is defined as fabric I took from their closet screaming:"please take me home with you" and fab I found while organizing my stash. When I empty out those totes, I think it's best if I bring them to the car...right?
    Old 08-28-2022, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by rjwilder
    The Guild I belong to has a garage sale once a year. Everyone gets a table to put all their items on to sell. Usually there is a lot of free stuff and fabric sells for $2. and up per yard.
    Per yard is a good price but How do you sell -price wise - the small pieces? Have some that I would like to sell to be able to buy the notions I need for my kids/doll clothes.
    Old 08-29-2022, 03:02 AM

Sobering event: a guild member passed away and her husband asked for help in selling the stash with benefits going to 3 of his wife's favorite charities. Stash included patterns, books, tools, and of course, fabric. Fabric priced at $2/yard, was laid out on tables (backing, panels, reproduction fabrics, novelty prints, children's prints, etc) shoppers given a sheet and guild members manned the tables to keep track of what was taken from the tables. People walked out with armloads of stuff and $6000 was raised and there were still some items left for donation to Goodwill. If "she who dies with the most fabric wins" she was in the running!
    Old 08-29-2022, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2
    Sobering event: a guild member passed away and her husband asked for help in selling the stash with benefits going to 3 of his wife's favorite charities. Stash included patterns, books, tools, and of course, fabric. Fabric priced at $2/yard, was laid out on tables (backing, panels, reproduction fabrics, novelty prints, children's prints, etc) shoppers given a sheet and guild members manned the tables to keep track of what was taken from the tables. People walked out with armloads of stuff and $6000 was raised and there were still some items left for donation to Goodwill. If "she who dies with the most fabric wins" she was in the running!
    Sorry for the loss of your guild member but how wonderful that you were able to raise that much money and also give to Goodwill the leftovers. I'm certain she would be pleased that so much of her belonging were being put to good use.
    Old 08-29-2022, 09:55 AM

I usually have leftover fabric becuse I cut more than needed so I decided to get rid of this sort of stuff. I have made the quilt I wanted with the fabric now done with what is left over usually not enough unless you mix it with other stuff. I now just watch what I buy and try to get more fabrics I can use as blenders.
    Old 08-29-2022, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by mmunchkins
    You might want to rethink destashing after all. Apparently the cotton crop this year has been decimated (don't know if that is the right word), so there will be shortages and/or severe price increases.
    I was thinking the same thing. I have 2 scrappy projects planned and will probably do more using what I have on hand. I've even decided to piece at least some of the back of my king sized quilt to use up some of the scraps from this project.