Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt? >
  • What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt?

• What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt?

Old 01-23-2010, 07:20 AM

I made one that cost alot. My daugher's horse died. It had been in the family for 15+ years. She did barrel racing and pole bending on it and it was a member of the family. When Kirby died I knew I had to make a quilt. I used pictures of her and Kirby at 4-h shows, at National High School Rodeos etc. It was expensive to do the pictures back then, about 10 years ago. When it was done I had it quilted. That was 300 alone. She did a beautiful job! It turned out really good. My daughter had a memory of her horse to keep her warm. I was glad to help her in a small way. I think it cost 500+, but was well worth it. Most of my quilts are 100 to 250 range. Lindalou
    Old 01-23-2010, 07:29 AM

Oldswimmer, you're my kind of person.I like to look for bargains and unusual places to get them.IWe used to go to auctions because sometimes you can get whole boxes of quilt materials there for as cheap as $o.50. I figure it's not to see how much you can spend on making a quilt but how little you can make a nice quilt for.We used to have a sewing factory,in our town,and you could get boxs of nice scraps or sometimes even yards of nice material cheap.Good thing I have a large house because I have boxs of scraps saved for quilts. Course I share them with friends.
    Old 01-23-2010, 07:31 AM

I'm guessing about $100 for each baby quilt and $300 for each queen size, including batting, backing and thread.
    I have made less expensive baby quilts and do.

I solved this dilemma by budgeting $200 a month for my quilting hobby. I use this anyway I want, to pay a longarmer, or for supplies, etc.

I also budget one vacation a year for $1,000. I hope one day to go to a quilt show and spend it all!!!
    Old 01-23-2010, 07:31 AM

LOL!!! Wait until you hear THIS one! Talk about spending MONEY on a quilt!
    I am in the process of making FOUR Asian quilts. One for each of my two sisters, one for my friend, and one for me. We went to Asia together last March and in each of the nine or ten ports we stopped, I bought silk (or cotton) to put into the quilts. The good silks cost me between $18 and $22 a meter...(roughly 39 inches a meter) and the least expensive cotton cost roughly $6 a meter. Now that I am home....I finished the first one for my friend. She is a long time quilter so NO ONE has EVER made her a quilt. She was speechless! She kept "petting" ME AND the quilt! I needed interfacing, the silks, and all of the usual threads etc. but DO I INCLUDE THE COST OF THE TRIP AS WELL??????????(See? I told you you would laugh at this one!)
    As long as I LOVE doing quilting, I will not add up the cost. I do not want to be practical at all in my "retirement" hobby! I only make quilts for people who are special to me and for whom I have found a fabric that reminds me of them. I do not do "by order" and I do not sell my heartfelt work. This is my new love and it is worth every penny! (I have the other three sorted out but I did tell my sisters it would take about eighteen months before they got theirs. I need to alternate some easier ones so I don't get worn out.) Right now I am doing a memory quilt for my daughter, each fabric represents some element of her life. It is a log cabin, and I purchased almost 90 different half yards of fabric for it! I couldn't even begin to figure out what it will wind up costing as the fabrics will show up in many other quilts to come. When I see the smiles on the receiver's face, it's worth it all!
    Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 AM

When you are adding up the cost of a quilt don't forget to factor in the FREE quilts, the ones you make from all the left over pieces.
    DH laughs at me when I say I made a free quilt. He asks if that is one made from all the fabric I have had for awhile.
    Old 01-23-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by jjtripletmom
    I'm still pretty new at this quilting thing. I am still consistantly amazed at how much money I end up putting into my projects.
    Probably around several hundred for a queen size wedding quilt for a gift.
    Old 01-23-2010, 07:48 AM

Welll,the photo at on the left is a Cal King that I made for my son & new DIL. I did keep track of $$$ just for fun (???). Bought yards and yards of batik, two wool bats ( I didn't measure the bats and could have gotten by with one), eleven yards for the back and of course my long armer...So close to $600, I almost fainted. the kids said "thanks". I had enough fab left over to make four pillow cases to match.
    Old 01-23-2010, 07:48 AM

Lindalou, give yourself a pat on the back.What you did for your daughter will be a memory she will always cherish.Besides it helped her with her grieving process and gave her a beautiful way to remember her beloved animal.Bet that quilt is still one of her most prized things.
    Old 01-23-2010, 08:04 AM

I do think it is important to factor in to the cost of your quilting what you would spend if you were engaged in another hobby or activity to fill that time space. It's not likely you would sit around and do nothing.
    And factor in the amount of time, gas and materials you would put into decorating the room you are doing or the gift you are giving. Outfitting a bedroom in nicely appointed linens is not inexpensive these days!
    And of course, the love and care, is beyond value!
    Lisa
    Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 AM

Really only kept track of one quilt - for my first born son - about $250 - didn't want to know about any others after that - BUT - I figure I'll NEVER catch up to what my hubby spent on one classic car - $10,000!!! So, I'm not worried about the cost of my quilts!