Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt? >

What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt?

What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:55 AM

I fall in the "I don't want to know" category!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:05 AM

Eddie, why do you only make twin sized quilts? By the way, congratulations for enterig a field usually considered to be just a womens hobby.I've known a few older men who started out cutting out quilt blocks for their wives and then progressed to piecing quilt tops. Most want nothig to do with it. I think t's great if that's what you choose to do but most younger men would never admit to it.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 AM

I also make mostly twin size quilts. I make them for H.S. graduates so they have a personal quilt for their dorm room at college. This year I have 9 to make. They average between $80 - $100 and most of the time I shop the sale fabric.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:13 AM

it depends are you going to quilt it your self or take it to some one to have it done that cost about 1.50 a square foot my last one was 65 to have it quilted the one she has now will caost about 100 but thtat dose include batting and backing so each quilt can be different the most i spent was for a person that wanted one specially made she chose the fabric from a quilt specialty shop at 8 per yard the backing was about 6 per yard and the batting was 5 per yard it came to about 400 when all was said and done it was a king size
Old 01-23-2010, 11:21 AM

I think probably between $300 and $450 is the most I've put into a quilt so far. I signed up for a block of the month for a queen size quilt that was $25 a month and ran for 10 months plus it'll cost me around $150 to have it quilted plus the backing and batting.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:24 PM

$$ spent on a quilt....hmmm.....most of my fabric is from yard sales, etc. Little boy's plaid cottonshirts are great and colorful. Men's large shirts give you more yardage but might not be so pretty. My DH looks for me also. He checks to see if it's 100% cotton.

after 54 years I think I"ll keep him
Old 01-23-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
Depending on the cost of the fabric it can vary alot. Of course if you add in the cost of your notions, machine etc. You are paying a fortune for your hobby. I have spent thousands.
I agree, if I added it all up, I would probably be sick, so I don't add :lol: But individual quilts (large ones) usually run between $150 and $200 depending on if I hit a sale or not. Quilting is not cheap, but the satisfaction and joy of creating far outweighs the cost. :thumbup: BTW, that does not include having it professionally quilted.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Well, I'm in the process of making a double wedding ring with batiks so I'll keep track and let you know! :D
Please post a pic when you are done or as the process goes. I am passionate about batiks.
As for the cost of a quilt, I don't want to know. I try to buy on sale always, and use my JoAnn's coupons, but every now and again I splurge on something.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:13 PM

I've gone from very cheap to moderately expensive but no money can buy the pleasure it gives me. I was letting tops I had made just sit there because I could not quilt them by machine. Even the small ones were too heavy. One day I say to heck with it - I found a LMQ whose prices are very resonable and went to town. She's done 4 for me so far. I have one being custom quilted 'cause its half applique and half pieced and I only want her to quilt the pieced portion. She's going to baste the applique part for me. I have 3 more going to her this week. Mind you none are bigger than a twin bed size. Any applique work I've done, I hand quilt.
Yes, as I said each quilt pays for itself in the pleasure I get :-P :-P
Old 01-23-2010, 04:45 PM

I posted me response on the wrong thread (must have been a long day). . .

By the time I paid for quilting on this over sized Queen quilt for the DS,

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-29097-1.htm

it was about $300. Now that was sale LQS fabric, full price fabric and Ebay fabric as well as the quilting.