Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt? >

What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt?

What is the most amount of money you have put into making a quilt?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:47 PM

Depending on where I buy the fabric, I typically spend between $75 to over $200 per quilt (average full - queen). When I made my son's quilt, it was all top-quality fabric, etc. I did keep track and spent approx. $350 just for materials. Since it was a "special" quilt, it was another $80 for quilting.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:48 PM

I rarely buy fabric for just one quilt. My purchases are "just in case" I find a quilt that fits the amounts. The most expensive I made was a BOM. The boarders and backing is what cost so much. I even used my birthday discount to buy the extras. I gave it to my SIL. Before he married my DD no one had ever given him a hand made gift. I did keep up with time I put in the last quilt. I'll post a pic of it soon.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by jjtripletmom
I'm still pretty new at this quilting thing. I am still consistantly amazed at how much money I end up putting into my projects.
I probably have you all beat as to how much money I spent on a quilt I cannot really say but I have enough material it takes a room to store but I have never had the guts to make a single quilt yet. I loose confidence at the cutting. I have sewed one quilt someone else cut for me but have yet to start from scratch and carry through. I have at lest 12 quilting books many magazines but that is as far as I have went. Oh tMasybe I can get started soonoday I bought freezer paper as a man showed me his first quilt and it was papered pieced. I have been reading this blog for over a year. Maybe I can finally get started but I estimate I have thousands of $$$ invested
Old 01-23-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by sassey
Originally Posted by jjtripletmom
I'm still pretty new at this quilting thing. I am still consistantly amazed at how much money I end up putting into my projects.
I probably have you all beat as to how much money I spent on a quilt I cannot really say but I have enough material it takes a room to store but I have never had the guts to make a single quilt yet. I loose confidence at the cutting. I have sewed one quilt someone else cut for me but have yet to start from scratch and carry through. I have at lest 12 quilting books many magazines but that is as far as I have went. Oh tMasybe I can get started soonoday I bought freezer paper as a man showed me his first quilt and it was papered pieced. I have been reading this blog for over a year. Maybe I can finally get started but I estimate I have thousands of $$$ invested
I dont have thousands invested yet, But I am like that with cutting. It takes me awhile to cut into fabric I always hesitate :)
Old 01-23-2010, 05:07 PM

I probably spend more than I should as I've reached a point where I have my large quilts quilted by someone else.
Splurged just once and had an applique' quilt custom quilted. She did a fantastic job but also charged over $300.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:12 PM

85% of my stash is made up of fabric from Mardens, a local salvage company. Most of the fabrics are $2.99 a yard. RJR, Thimbleberries, SSI, Maywood Studio, Moda and any numbers of other Quilt shop quality fabrics..so they may not be the latest on the market but if you choose wisely you can't beat those prices and quality. I don't feel the least bit guilty when I on rare occasions buy at quilt shop prices for those special fabrics I just "have" to add to my stash. I'm currently putting together a boxed squares quilt out of Bali Pops. This is the first time I've spent that much per yard of fabric (it's pretty pricey)but when you consider that most of us wouldn't have the variety of 40 bali batks that blend so well. This is a gift for my oldest grandson for his birthday so I consider it absolutely ok. I'm a longarm quilter so I don't have to out source the quilting and that saves me that cost. I will have probably $125.00 in it when it's finished not counting my time for quilting. The batting and thread I buy at wholesale.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:24 AM

The amount of money and time put into each quilt can make it extremely expensive to create. This thread definately makes me consider who will receive finished quilts more seriously. I want to thank all of you who offered more affordable options when purchasing fabric. I have shopped on the internet and at the LQSs but never thought of looking for local salvage companies or fabric mills. Now that I am enlightened about total cost per quilt I will be searching for smaller quilted projects to make for gifts. Its kind of funny I wouldn't even consider buying presents for acquaintances that are above $30 yet I would make a baby or lap quilt without giving it a second thought. Its strange how there aren't any boudaries when making quilty gifts while there are definite price limits on store bought gifts. I think most quilters spend more money on gifts for others than we do on gifts for ourselves. There is little hesitation when purchasing fabrics for bed sized quilted gifts but alot of hesitation when we want a new sewing machine. I personally would rather use the money on something that will benefit me or my family personally. I know it sounds selfish. I've read about so many quilters who are coveting a new machine but it just isn't in their budget. Well if we did fewer projects for others we would have the money for what we really want in no time at all.
Lisa
Old 01-24-2010, 10:36 AM

Because I've been collecting fabrics for so long, I haven't got a clue what I've spent on the fabric for a particular quilt.

I think I'd take a sharp intake of breath if I it was all tallied up :shock:
Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 AM

omg what a question. I bet I've spent close to 200 including thread batting and top and backing fabric. I buy as much as I can at quilt shops during my overtime months so I can have something to do in the winter. I use cheaper fabric to test new blocks/quilts in case I dont like doing them or the way they look

I keep reciepts but almost NEVER look at them Too scary! But worth it! :)
Old 01-24-2010, 11:50 AM

That's for me to know and husband, never to find out. I budget a monthly amount for me to spend anyway that I see fit and a lot of it goes towards my quilting.