Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent) >
  • Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

• Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Old 02-28-2010, 08:47 PM

I've had good and bad experiences in Joann's. Love the super one in CA near my son's house but unfortunatley I live in NJ. One near me isn't so hot, kind of messy but I do like to use the coupons for a 5 pack of rotary blades, thread and sometimes some of their better quality fabrics. I don't expect quilting advice from the sales people but wish they were a little more generous when measuring fabric. I always pull the fabric straight before they begin cutting but, come on give us an extra inch so we can straigthen out the fabric when we get home. I always put my coupon on the item I want to use it for and tell the cashier. Last visit I left because the fat quarters I chose were clearly marked clearance .50 but they were ringing up full price, cashier also double rang up an item and didn't know how to correct the problem. To me Joann's is a nesseary evil because the nearest quilt shop is an hour away and sometimes I need a certain color thread. Guess you get what you pay for. May in Jersey
    Old 03-01-2010, 05:12 AM

My JoAnns is 140 miles away!!!!!! Wish it was closer - they are great - only get there a few times a year - but have never been disappointed. Maybe you should talk to the managers of the store and express your disappointment.
    Old 03-01-2010, 05:57 AM

Side note to all of this. I have had both good and poor service at my local JoAnn's. Did the Black Friday thing (what was I thinking?) as the lines were very, very long at 6:10am. By the time I arrived with all of my selections, at 6:30, I was tired, and could only imagine that the clerks, who had been there since 4:30am were running out of steam. I quietly asked if I could get them some juice or coffee or something quick to eat. They just looked at me. I first thought that I had not wiped the toothpaste off my face, or had not bushed my hair. They looked at each other and said, "Well that is a first, someone who is not about themselves." I had absolutely NO problem with my order, got a couple extra inches on each selection, and most of all a thank you and a smile. The store has since moved and become a superstore. There is a new 'cutter', and she is very friendly and does cut 2-3 inches more and always asks about the leftover or short cut. On the flip side, I have had others who aren't sure what the difference between 1/2 yard and 2/3's of a yard is.
    Old 03-01-2010, 06:08 AM

I have had similar problems with Joann's too. I can never get them order extra of something I need and they carry it all the time. The girls here don't try to help you and they are rude, I hope that Wal-mart doesn't close their fabric section, then I wouldn't know what to do.
    Old 03-01-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by nursie76
    Originally Posted by Daisygirl
    I guess I will have to try eBay for the blades, I never would have thought of that.
    Thanks for all of the replies, I am glad I am not the only one with problems.
    Definitely consider Ebay for the blades. I have gotten both the 28mm and the 45mm (both from the same gentleman) for a little over $1 a blade (I think I got them in lots of 20 or 30) and they work well and I feel they last as long as the ones I pay top dollar for at stores like joanns. I do know that one brand of cutter has a little notch thing where the blade fits so you have to make sure that the blades fit, but the ones I got have the slot for the notched ones, but work on the ones without just fine also. Good luck!
    has anyone ever used L.P.Sharpe for blades...my DD and I use him all the time..he either sharpens the ones you send or replaces them with new, your choice. I think hes still in business www.lpsharpe.com
    Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 AM

Oh mrspete, the term 'loading a needle',.... sounds like a drug reference to me...
    Old 03-01-2010, 06:49 AM

Just a thought, not trying to make a new controversy.

I wonder how many of us pay full (highest) price for a sewing notion at the LQS that we can get on sale or cheaper at a local Joann's, Hancock's or similar store?

How many of us shop at a B.J.'s, Costco or Sam's Club and stock up at lower prices than our local supermarket?

Bargain prices can have their not so hidden costs in ease of purchase, knowledge of employees and layout of store space.

Frequent changes in the price of items (fast changing sale prices) and percent off coupons are processed by the computer not the cashier. S(he) is not to blame for what has been programmed by someone else. Their explanation is what they can offer us.

I have easy access to two and within 45 mins access to four more Joann's Stores!! I rarely find a clerk or cashier 'having a bad day' and I am grateful for the money I save.

I patronize my LQS's regularly as well for their quality fabrics and specialty items at full price and realize their profit margin and size means they offer their goods and service on a different playing field. I see this as my opportunity to use 'the money I save' to keep their store available to me as well.

A smile and pleasant manner from me usually elicits the same from the clerk/cashier - we are all connected in this wonderful world of sewing and quilting - we need them and they need us, I prefer it to be a happy relationship.
    Old 03-01-2010, 07:53 AM
    Power Poster

The nearest JoAnn's for me is 128 miles. Haven't been inside one in over 2 1/2 years. I thought I would miss it, but I have started ordering online and haven't looked back.
    Old 03-01-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
    The nearest JoAnn's for me is 128 miles. Haven't been inside one in over 2 1/2 years. I thought I would miss it, but I have started ordering online and haven't looked back.
    I love ordering online. Usually, I will see the fabric at a show or another store and then find it online. I have really had good luck and have met some great women, who have a small business out of their home selling fabric. And you can't beat the customer service, I can't tell you how many times I have gotten phone calls from them, if their are questions or responses to my orders. I have had some great little freebees, a fat quarter of Alaska fabric from a shop in Alaska, A whole pack of machine needles, and a wallet size yardage chart, just some samples of what I have received. You don't even know they are coming, it just shows up in your order.
    Old 03-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Oh wow I feel the same way about Joann's I hate that place and my blood pressure is always up when I leave