Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
does anyone do this anymore? >

does anyone do this anymore?

does anyone do this anymore?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I've thought of doing this. How do you keep up with the new pattern designs? They offered this service at the Expos. I've even seen one software that allowed you to print your patterns. Then you would have to tape them together. Some times I take pieces of patterns from different patterns to make my own designs.
I do that too. I made my daughter's wedding dress from two patterns. :^)
Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm thinking of making a dress I saw on vogue's website... I just hope it flatters my shape... I had a sweater that had the same kind of sleeves of this dress...

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v859...hp?page_id=856
Old 03-17-2010, 02:29 PM

I make some of my things, but I can't really get things to fit me right.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I've thought of doing this. How do you keep up with the new pattern designs? They offered this service at the Expos. I've even seen one software that allowed you to print your patterns. Then you would have to tape them together. Some times I take pieces of patterns from different patterns to make my own designs.
You order the patterns online, so they're always updated.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
I'm thinking of making a dress I saw on vogue's website... I just hope it flatters my shape... I had a sweater that had the same kind of sleeves of this dress...

I have a pattern similar to that. It was really cut low. I even took it up in the shoulders and I still wear a camie under it. It is a comfortable dress.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:10 AM

I used to but got out of the habit. But I need a totally new wardrobe, so I plan to get going again. Have several patterns in mind. I found making cloths considerably easier than I find making quilt blocks.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:50 AM

I use to make clothes for myself & my girls but it's been years. It got to where it was more expensive to make them. Now I would rather pay more for high-quality clothes than buy cheaper somewhere else. It makes a huge difference in how long they last.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone

Nice dress! Good luck with it -- post pictures, please.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:07 AM

Yes, I still make my own clothes because ready to wear hardly ever fits. I've bought a few things through the years, but my body keeps shifting south. ( hummm) and I can't see me in those 'revealing' styles of today. I made most of the clothes my children wore when they were young and some jackets and trousers for my husband.
I also watch for sales on fabric and patterns. Once I get a pattern altered to fit me, I use it many times with minor style changes.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 AM

We just did a fun project at our Sewing Guild. We did the T-Shirt Makeover by Pamela's Patterns. You take a x-lg t-shirt and give it some shape by re-cutting the sleeves, tapering the sides to give it a "essence of waist" and also tapered the hemline up a bit in the hip area to make it more flattering. I learned a lot about fitting my narrow shoulders and then extending the pattern under the arm to fit my wider body.
I took that knowledge and made another knit shirt with a different neckline, etc. from scratch using another of her patterns. Knits are so forgiving, I'm having a ball making some tops that actually fit. I haven't even bought too many of the current knit tops as they usually are too tight in the bust area if I get them to fit right in the upper chest. Next thing I know, I'll be trying my hand at tencel and slinky -- I hear they can be a bit of a challenge.