Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You know the stash might be too large when... >

You know the stash might be too large when...

You know the stash might be too large when...

Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by mbunny
You find pieces, clearly cut to create a particular block, but don't recall every purchasing or seeing the fabric, much less what block pattern you intended to make.
Maybe someone gave them to you. Seriously, our taste in fabrics change over the years and the quality of fabric has really improved over ten years ago. When I moved, I cleaned out fabric that was poor quality and I would not put in a quilt today. I do shop at Hancocks, JoAnns & Walmart, but even their fabrics have improved over time. Like a lot of you have said, buy the best quality that you can afford. Today, I can shop at several LQS near my home. Our family situations change, our financial situations change and our taste in fabric changes.
I do not feel obligated to keep and use every piece of fabric that I have purchased in the last 20 years. I quilt because it makes me happy, not to be tortured.
I say all of this to say, if you don't want it or like it, get rid of it. No Guilt!!! Donate to charity, guilds, schools or quilters that are having financial difficulties at this time. Donations are tax deductible and Paying It Forward makes you feel good.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:38 AM

We have an extra bathroom in which the tub & shower is never used, sooooo cases of batting are stored in the tub behind the shower curtain.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, Dear!! And here I was, thinking I was doing something that should be
kept secret!! Since I live alone, there is no reason at all (to me) that says
I should NOT use unneeded space for storage...of whatever I have too much
of.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Banned

My son made me promise to not buy fabric for 6 months except for one time when I took his 13 yr old to a quilt show near Albany. She's a new quilted (happy sigh from her Grandma)
I made several quilts during the period out of my stash from fabrics I'd never seen before in my life.
The time was up last week and I've spent c. $300 on line so far.
Thanks for the fabric shack and fabric.com info - had a grand time.
Lunn fabrics is not selling directly any more and was offering assorted hand dyed packages for $32 + s/h. A friend and I both ordered - gorgeous fabric has just arrived.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 AM

I haven't seen one of those caterpiller things for about 45 years. Maybe an estate sale would be a good place to look. As for so much fabric, we live in a small home, about 1,000 square feet, so I only keep scraps and fabric for a current project. I also Xstitch, and am getting started in making dolls, so my rolling storage box is full. Now I can't go shopping for awhile. :-(
Theresa
Old 03-25-2010, 11:08 AM

i kow just what you are saying...i remember fabrics from the late 80s...i love my stash....and find it hard to use sometimes...
i have to be in the right mind to part with some fabrics.....
my sewing area is in my living room ...my stash is a big closet...and i have a great dropleaf table...sewing table and ironing board up always....the sewing area seems bigger than my sitting area...but i live alone and i love having projects around me......
Old 03-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by golllytwo
The time was up last week and I've spent c. $300 on line so far.
I love your sense of committment (in either direction). I have done that too - set a time line and then wait until I could buy something again. Congrats on the delivery. lol
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM

One member of my guild says proudly that she does not cook. So she stores fabric in her oven.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by boxermom
I haven't seen one of those caterpiller things for about 45 years. Maybe an estate sale would be a good place to look. As for so much fabric, we live in a small home, about 1,000 square feet, so I only keep scraps and fabric for a current project. I also Xstitch, and am getting started in making dolls, so my rolling storage box is full. Now I can't go shopping for awhile. :-(
Theresa
Those flat under-the-bed storage bins are great for small areas. If you have an extra closet you can alway buy some of those 5-in-one hangers that one end unhooks and hang a LOT of fabric in a closet. Extra dresser drawers, pizza boxes under the couch or chairs(if if they have a skirt), a small shelf under your husbands shirts in the closet, replace end tables with the kind that have storage space to the floor, pick up some of those decorative stacking boxes--no sense in them sitting empty. . . .There's just all kinds of storage space even in a small home. Get creative then go shopping.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon321
One member of my guild says proudly that she does not cook. So she stores fabric in her oven.
Let's hope no family comes to visit and decides to bake a cake! :lol: :lol: :lol: That's hilarious.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:38 PM

You find 36" fabric in your stash. Do you remember how long it's been since they made 36" fabric? I have two different stashes and sometimes they meld together. I also make most of my clothes. Before Olivia was born I made her pink and green frog quilt. Yestereday I cut out an outfit for her with some of the left over frog fabric.
I don't store my fabric in the unsed tub, that's where I store the extra TP, cleaning supplies and hand towels. When you need space for fabric you have to be creative.