Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You know the stash might be too large when... >

You know the stash might be too large when...

You know the stash might be too large when...

Old 03-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gramof6
We have an extra bathroom in which the tub & shower is never used, sooooo cases of batting are stored in the tub behind the shower curtain. :D
LOL, about four years ago, a friend said she was coming to visit so I had an old tub took out to 'do over'.
Hubby got sick, disabled, unable...fast forward...I couldn't finish the job, couldn't pay to have it done, so the space became an instant closet, by hanging a long curtain.
Made some room in my sew-cave...not as much as I'd like mind you, but it's a step!
I do recognize my fabrics which is quite a feat. 99% of mine are tied in bundles for future projects. I have a small stack of not delegated ones, to rummage through for those blocks that pop up...friend gifts, charity quilts, secret cheer quilts/projects, etc.
I was expecting...lol, a list, and was also expecting to be guilty of everything on it!:lol:
Old 03-24-2010, 04:23 PM

For anyone with an iPhone, I recently searched the applications for quilting or fabric related ones, and there is one that looks really good called "fabric stash" which lets you take photos of all your fabric and store them on your phone, along with project lists, wish lists and the ability to sort by colour, fabric line or maker etc. That way you could take the phone to a LQS and look at what would match your stash or what you already have.
I haven't downloaded it because my stash is tiny, but it sounds good.
Here's a link: http://www.blueshiftsoftware.net/iph.../fabric-stash/
Old 03-24-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1quilt_gma
That tub will multiply! Just leave the top off.
Like rabbits? I can just picture the fabric bunnies hopping all over the place in the middle of the night .....

Originally Posted by raptureready
Shewww. You need to get your priorities straightened out. Park on the street and turn that garage into something useful---like a sewing room. :lol:
I like your thinking! I already have a sewing room. If I have two, I don't think the quilt police will mind. :-D
Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

That's one reason I do my best to label all my fabric when I get it. I make a note on the label stating what the original plan was for it's use. I may change my mind later on about what to use it for, but with the label I remember what I had in mind. I also include where and when I bought it.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 AM

I have the same problem , came across a box of browns last weekend, calico's and don't know where i got them ,maybe some one gave them to me, i guess i have to much. What's the chance of sending me an PM on where you got the Bargello pattern , it' very pretty. happy quilting Whippoorwill
Old 03-25-2010, 03:21 AM

Mn Quilter, Hi!!!!!!!

Relax, before you know it, you will be slowly pushed out of your house. Everyone with the four bedrooms, four baths. We have four rooms total not including the bathroom and porch. We have a master bedroom suite and master bath. Only problem - it is the only bedroom and only bathroom. But we call it the Master Suite anyhow - Our home is a total of 740 square feet. In our neighborhood we have several of these little bungalows and they have been going for top dollar because they are just a perfect size for two people or one people. We have lived here for 37 years. Love it! I love my stash. It is like chocolate to me. I can sit and go through boxes picking out fabric for different blocks (I love the samplers) and when you have a stash, it doesn't have to be yards and yards, it can be a million fat quarters or the little bitsies that are left over. I have a sister who loves to hand sew crazy quilts and she will come over with a piece of work she is doing and I look at it and it is the bitsies that I give her that are in her quilt. That is so rewarding - no waste, terrific recycling. I have a friend who is getting rid of some of her fabric and asked if I wanted some - sure, providing I can take you out to lunch and we can check out the new JoAnn's and hit Hancock! So much for putting and taking. Just enjoy. It'll pile up fast enough. Edie
Old 03-25-2010, 03:34 AM

You are all soooo funny! I love reading each of your comments. My Girlfriend says I am a fabriholic first and a quilter second. Hey, she is right. Fabrics are my weakness, and when I can stop shopping, I quilt. My friends say they like to shop at my place! I usually give them what they want for free,But secretly I am saying, please don't pick that one! Shame on me? Oh well, gotta go now, UPS just arrived with order from a place called equilter.com??? How did that happen?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Crafter
Originally Posted by 1quilt_gma
That tub will multiply! Just leave the top off.
Like rabbits? I can just picture the fabric bunnies hopping all over the place in the middle of the night .....

Shewww. You need to get your priorities straightened out. Park on the street and turn that garage into something useful---like a sewing room. :lol:
I like your thinking! I already have a sewing room. If I have two, I don't think the quilt police will mind. :-D
They won't, I have five full time, sometimes more and haven't gotten a ticket yet. (tickets are payable at your LQS) maybe it's because I donate to their funds so much already. :lol:
Old 03-25-2010, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Originally Posted by Ninnie
When you find a pretty material you "just can't live without" , only to get home and find you already had 3 yards of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
i do that with rulers..i really need to quit buying gadgets that i probably already have!
If you're ever at a garage sale and find one of those old metal "catepillars" that we used to put our record albums in get it. They make great storage racks for all your rulers (except the little ones) and keeps them where you can see what you have.
I immediately got up from the pc and found my office file holders. That works great. Now I don't have to get on my knees and look under the stereo to pull out which ruler I want. Thanks for the great idea.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by kygirl
A stash may be too large, when recently I found enough turtle fabric to make 2 full size and a lap size quilt, and still have more.
Sorry, don't see the problem.

8-) We all need turtle fabric in our stash, the more the better. LOL I just need borders on a Take Five pattern for me, made in turtle fabric. My son saw it and really liked the fabric (also, a turtle lover) and I had enough to make him a D9P that I will surprise him with soon. After they are quilted, I'll post pictures for all the turtle lovers on the board. I notice that the number is growing.