Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Anyone into genealogy research??? >
  • Anyone into genealogy research???

• Anyone into genealogy research???

Old 09-01-2010, 04:50 AM

There is another member of our family who was doing the genealogy for the Coryell family . That is my maternal side. I am one of those kids that know nothing about my biological father except his name. Goff. I always thought it was German but a friend looked up the name one time and found out it was actually Irish. Who knew?
    I have a few things that I know. The Coryell family left France because they were Huguenot. They went to Holland and from there to the States. Long time ago not quite sure of the year.But it only lists one man and his sons who scattered over the US. There was a place on the Delaware River called Coryell's Ferry that is now Lambertsville. Supposedly that is one of the places that Washington got the boats. One of the ancestors was a pall bearer for Washington because the man who was suppose to be fell ill and the ancestor was a Mason like Washington. Pam found out that there was a Lenape(?) in the line somewhere but couldn't find any thing about her It wasn't Done back then.
    Some where there is proof (?) of this. The Coryell family also had a toboggan ride in NJ lol I have a copy of a newspaper ad somewhere.
    Its fun but not in the budget right now. I guess Pam got tired of doing it . Don't blame her sounds like a lot of work.
    Old 09-01-2010, 04:52 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
    Now I have many questions concerning documentation.
    1. How do you document? Do you get copies of the document or look at it compare to your notes and then enter the location of the document?
    2. If you keep a copy of the document, how do you organize them? File system under person name/maiden name?
    3. Then if your are filing under names do you put a copy of a marriage certificate in the folder of both husband and wife?
    I am an organization freak, would love to have your input and/or suggestions.
    Sheila
    Hi Sheila, I had to laugh at your questions, 'cause I was invited to give a lecture to a county genealogical society in Ohio on that same topic. I had been up there and met a couple of local researchers who saw me hauling around my binders.

There are lots of different ways to organize your data/documentation. I do it a little differently than the person who taught me, and there is no one right way. It is what ever works for you. How much actual paper/copies you have depends on personal preference and what you can afford. I make paper copies of everything and file it in binders. OK, let me amend that statement. I make paper copies of everything related to my direct line ancestors and family, and USED to make paper copies of everything related to my indirect line or collateral relatives, but now I have a lot of computer documentation that is not on paper, just sourced in my computer for many of my collateral lines.

Hmm, this could be a very long post. I wonder if I should start a different thread about how I organize. If anyone is really interested, just let me know, and I'll start a new thread with photographs. I'll have to think about how to write it. The lecture I gave was 45 minuts long!! LOL
    Old 09-01-2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
    Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
    Now I have many questions concerning documentation.
    1. How do you document? Do you get copies of the document or look at it compare to your notes and then enter the location of the document?
    2. If you keep a copy of the document, how do you organize them? File system under person name/maiden name?
    3. Then if your are filing under names do you put a copy of a marriage certificate in the folder of both husband and wife?
    I am an organization freak, would love to have your input and/or suggestions.
    Sheila
    Hi Sheila, I had to laugh at your questions, 'cause I was invited to give a lecture to a county genealogical society in Ohio on that same topic. I had been up there and met a couple of local researchers who saw me hauling around my binders.

There are lots of different ways to organize your data/documentation. I do it a little differently than the person who taught me, and there is no one right way. It is what ever works for you. How much actual paper/copies you have depends on personal preference and what you can afford. I make paper copies of everything and file it in binders. OK, let me amend that statement. I make paper copies of everything related to my direct line ancestors and family, and USED to make paper copies of everything related to my indirect line or collateral relatives, but now I have a lot of computer documentation that is not on paper, just sourced in my computer for many of my collateral lines.

Hmm, this could be a very long post. I wonder if I should start a different thread about how I organize. If anyone is really interested, just let me know, and I'll start a new thread with photographs. I'll have to think about how to write it. The lecture I gave was 45 minuts long!! LOL
    I wanna see! Please! Please! Please!

I have really done a lot of research and would love to be able to hear from everyone how they organize. Right now I just use the computer but also had a catastropy and lost my family file once and had to recreate and don't want to go through that again. I now back up my file on a thumb drive, but to recreate without documents was hard so the second time I started saving documents. Now I have boxes of them but they are unusuable until i get them organized!

Sheila
    Old 09-01-2010, 05:15 AM

I wanna see, too! This is the thread I started....and I don't mind you continuing the conversation. I'll keep my eye out for either. I, too, use binders. Any ORIGINAL birth certs/marriage certs, I keep in one binder and have been making copies for the binder for that family. It can get crazy!!! Every morning I wake up and go 'quilt, genealogy, quilt, genealogy"...VERY hard to decide sometimes!!!

BTW - I DO look for documentation....found a relative (3rd cousin) that has written a book. She has diaries, docs, etc. She's working now to combine all THOSE into a book! wow!!!

Ancestry.com does have misinformation in it. If you really follow one of the misinformations, ie name spelled wrong, you'll find that one person puts in the wrong info, and others copy it thinking it's correct. I am only picking up info that has documentation. The original information I found on my grandmother was done by her nephew, my father's cousin. I met him once....and firmly believe he has the information correct! I feel fortunate to have found ANYTHING on her!!!
    Old 09-01-2010, 05:18 AM

I just found this online. lol I love where the name comes from It sure describes my grandfather.

Probably an altered form of French Querelle ‘quarrel’, a nickname for a quarrelsome man.

FOREBEARS: The earliest record of the name in North America is of Abraham Coriell, in Piscataway, NJ, in 1702. Family tradition says that he was a Huguenot from Orleans in France, who fled to the Netherlands in 1685, when French Protestants were openly persecuted after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, and subsequently made his way to North America.

I don't know when this was put up but I understand Pam has since found records.
    Old 09-01-2010, 05:22 AM

I didn't realize there was stuff I could find by just typing in the name.

What I have is this: Abraham Coriell and his four sons
    moved to NJ, from Holland (as part of the general
    Huguenot migration at the time) around 1685.
    The four sons were David, Emanuel, Abraham, and
    Samuel. Two major lines of the family are
    descended from David and Emanual. A smaller
    branch descended from Abraham. Samuel left no
    known children or descendents. (I am of the
    David line myself).

Me Sheila is from the Emanuel line as far as I know. This is just too neat. Good thing I am losing my computer connection today for 2 months or so or I would spending all day on it. LOL
    Old 09-01-2010, 05:38 AM
    Banned

Yeah, but be careful, there are a LOT of inaccuracies on the computer. I shared my research with a distant cousin, who posted it on Ancestry, and he put a completely WRONG parent for one of the main line ancestors. I mean not even in the same family, even though I gave him all my documentation. And then I found that at least TEN other people have posted the same INCORRECT information. So you might think, "Hey, this must be right because more than 10 people have posted the same thing", but it all came from ONE incorrect source that other people copied without doing any research themselves.
    Old 09-01-2010, 05:46 AM

Well since I have the basics from Pam who has been doing it for years and checked and rechecked her info. I pretty much can conclude what is there is pretty darn close.
    I just found an Inn in Lambertsville that has the Coryell name LOL Maybe one day I will get up that way.
    Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 AM

I did some family research a while back, traced my mother's parents through Ellis Island records. That part was easy because I knew the year her parents immigrated from Italy but my father's family was more difficult as they came to US many years earlier before Ellis Island's records. We have no contacts for mother's family in Italy as both her parents were only children so no extended family back there. We don't know much about our great grandparents as families didn't impart much info, our requests for info when we were kids were ignored. Kind of makes research a bit difficult.

DIL in CA is researching her family, one side arrived on the Mayflower and the other were French from Canada. Every once in awhile she finds something about DH and my families, mostly through census. She found that DH's grandmother traveled back and forth to Ireland many times, think her last 2 children were born there. Here we thought they were poor, travel in those days must have be quite expensive for poor people.

This thread of messages have gotten my interest up again. May in Jersey
    Old 09-01-2010, 06:05 AM

Gaigai...I have one for you...fairly recent in terms of genealogy, and yet one of my more difficult fellows!!

Joseph Pleasant Barber, b Sept 28, 1878, to James C Barber and Mary Jane Vilate Munjar. Can be followed through the census reports up to 1920 with no difficulty. The JOSEPH P Barber disappears, but JACK Pleasant Barber shows up! This is where I argue with my sister...I say that Jack is our g-grandfather, she says she doesn't think so. Jack and Joseph have the same birthdate, but Joe is born in California, Jack claims to have been born in Canada. Military records show Joseph registering for the draft. Info on the draft card is correct. Bear with me, there's a little story here...
    Joseph was married to Maxie Ella Pearson. They divorced, and Joseph married Emily King. 1920 shows Joe and Emily together with son Beverly Burton Barber in Contra Costa, California. (The cousin I just found tells a story about how Joe was found by Emily trying to drown the baby he was supposed to be giving a bath to, and she kicked him to the curb) That's the last we see of JOSEPH on the records, and the first that we see JACK is on the 1930 census, and then there's a military cemetery record for Jack, for 1946...I suspected Jack was actually Joseph for some time...and then I found a military hospital record on Ancestry for Jack P Barber, b 28 Sep 1878 in Canada, states citizenship through his father, and gives an alias of "Joseph"...

I say that "Jack is our man"...whatcha think? :lol: