Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do when lack Sewing Mood? >

What to do when lack Sewing Mood?

What to do when lack Sewing Mood?

Old 05-28-2010, 07:53 AM

I felt that way couple months ago, after a major bout with the flu. Just down, had a hard time bouncing back. I didn't even crochet, which is another creative outlet for me. I started made fabric cards, little projects, they don't take much time from start to finish, uses up the scraps. I made several birthday and thinking-about-you cards. They had lace, some buttons and just play with the design. Now I'm back in the quilting frame of mind again. Just play with little projects until you are back to your old self.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:59 AM

When I retired at age 37 from my company I couldn't stand to even look at a machine. Since I was sitting in front of one from the age of 17, 7 days a week sometimes up to 16 hours a day. Taking breaks to tend to the kids, the house and cook.
It took me about 3 years to get the desire to sew again. People ask me if I will reupholster their furniture or make them some clothes or even quilting I tell then no. I don't want my hobby to become a job.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:52 PM

My Dearest Quilters,

You have given me a lot to think about. I have tried several of the things that were suggested and now I have several more different things to try. I am lost without quilting because it was my escape. My way to relax. Yes, a good kick in the petunias is what I am looking for. I have been feeling unmotivated for several months in various degrees of unwantedness depending on the day. I feel like a coffee connoisseur that had to start drinking water. At this point I think my issue might not be caused by one thing like I was thinking. I think it might be the combination of reducing my quilting budget, can't find any quilters like me to quilt with, being stuck home with the kids, and lack of creativity.

I am still battling with depression after suffering post partum depression back in 2006. Things that would normally roll off others' shoulders tend to stay on mine. My post partum depression left me without a sense of creativity of any kind. Before this happened scrapbooking used to be my escape. When I could no longer handle looking at the photos or create a layout I was intoduced to quilting. With all the various kits available I did not have to make any decisions.

Most of the quilters I have met have been "Queenbees and Wannabees." I had a disappointing quilt retreat that was filled with a few of them that I am afraid has turned me away from retreats or LQS. I am trying to find another LQS that I can call home again. It is hard after you had found one that you loved.

I think I am feeling more optomistic now. I think I was looking for the one solution but I should realize that this is me I am talking about. I never do anything easy. I am eternally grateful to hear that many of you have experienced this feeling of quilter's block. Please, I would like to hear from more quilters.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:12 PM

I have taken quilting "sabaticals" every now and then. The desire to quilt always comes back to me! Sometimes it's a picture in a quilt book or magazine but usually it's something I have already started that I decide to finish. Just going through my projects made me want to get back to them. I looked at my UFOs one at a time (I have dozens) until they started to speak to me. I'd think about each one, list what I needed to do to finish it and before long one would really scream at me, "Finish me! Finish me!" and that got me going again and I ended up finishing 6 of them.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I have taken quilting "sabaticals" every now and then. The desire to quilt always comes back to me! Sometimes it's a picture in a quilt book or magazine but usually it's something I have already started that I decide to finish. Just going through my projects made me want to get back to them. I looked at my UFOs one at a time (I have dozens) until they started to speak to me. I'd think about each one, list what I needed to do to finish it and before long one would really scream at me, "Finish me! Finish me!" and that got me going again and I ended up finishing 6 of them.
Over the winter I finished all my UFOs. I had to cut on spending. I had quilted 5 of them already and I have about 8 more to quilt. I am counting off the top of my head. The 8th one is not a UFO. I just have to find the perfect backing and quilt it. It is my special quilt so I have to find the perfect backing. I have more kits waiting but I did not count them because I haven't cut into them yet.

My quilts only tells me who they want to go home with. I wish the fabrics would talk to me. Then I can choose my own fabrics when I see a pattern I like.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:36 PM

Start a new project and sit at your machine for about 15 min a day, get a timer...When it goes off quit for the day...By the next day do another 15 min and if in the mood keep going, if not just do the 15 min a day and you will be amaze how much you get done, may it be cutting, ironing, sewing..That is the way I get started again like after a long vacation
Old 05-28-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ritzquilts
Start a new project and sit at your machine for about 15 min a day, get a timer...When it goes off quit for the day...By the next day do another 15 min and if in the mood keep going, if not just do the 15 min a day and you will be amaze how much you get done, may it be cutting, ironing, sewing..That is the way I get started again like after a long vacation
Yes, that is what I have been doing to keep myself in the game so to say. You would be surprised at how long 15 minutes can drag. Sometimes it dragged so long that I feel worse than I started. I wonder if this is how quilters acquire so many UFOs? UFOs are tough on me because I am a finisher. I like to finish a project before I start on the next one. Lately I have been getting better or worse depending on who is watching. Before I work on another quilt I would usually work one until I can't due to out of thread color, no more perishable supplies (marker pens, fusible webbing, and etc.), finished top, or sandwich stage time.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:58 PM

I get tired of a big project sometimes so I put it aside and take some time with the grandkids or go shopping or read a book........what ever I want to do for a few days or a weekend. Then I make a small projuect like a table runner or pillowcase. Then the big project seems new again and I can finish it. Just a little variety, sometimes, can make a difference.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 PM
farscapegal

If I don't feel inspired or motivated I read and not quilt books. Something unrelated to sewing.

Sybil

Old 05-28-2010, 03:53 PM

I was a fanatic sewer in my younger days. made all my own clothes and as each of my neices went to K, I made them a complete wardrobe for 4 seasons. As a receptionist I started to do my cathedral window, small pieces hand done under my desk. that took me many years. I left it be for over 9 years then went ahead to finish it. My mother passed and she had been collecting some of my scraps cutting them into grandmothers fan. So when I retired and downsized and moved a new neighbor saw my CWquilt and invited me to join a small group. I think having new friends, talking quilts and gosipping once a week has brought the bug out again. I think when you find a friend with a sewing interest you will feel more comfortable. What about inviting some neighbors over to sew or mend or alter or create holiday stuff. Make the cookies and coffee just add people.