Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Have a Vegtable garden? >

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Old 06-06-2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa773
DH is giving some of the tomatoes to friend at work. Hopefully this will be our best year yet!
we take our excess produce to the senior center, or the senior apartments..and just leave them in the lobby for them to pick out what they want. they really appreciate it.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:48 AM

We have potatoes (red and white), 2 different carrots, beets (we love them pickled), peas, pole beans, bush beans, squash, 13 tomatos(yummy tomato sandwiches), cauliflower, broccoli, peppers (red and green), celery, cabbage(mostly for jar sour kraut), onions, leeks, climbing and bush cucumbers (I have a great refrig recipe for dills and sweats and for relish), dill, leaf and head lettuce. Most of this will be frozen or canned. I get corn locally to freeze. Then I will get berries for jam and sauce and a couple of bushels of apples (there's a local orchard) for sauce, pies and apple butter. I didn't have room for pumpkin, so I will buy them and freeze the pie filling and can some for breads and muffins. I love summer for all of the fresh produce and fruit. DH and I can make a meal out of the garden.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:05 AM

We have garden tables as my Dh can not take care of a ground garden. They are called "Salad tables". Everything is growing well.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Banned

Sounds like everyone's gardens are doing well ! I'm growing 2 tomatoes [ i beefsteak , i yellow ] , colored peppers , green beans , potatoes , green cabbage and trying one pumpkin plant this year . So far it's doing great ! We are getting rain for a change . My garden looks like a jungle . I only have 2 small garden spaces , but you do what you can . Good luck everybody :thumbup: Annie
Old 06-06-2010, 06:45 AM

We have 6 raised bed gardening boxes inside our fenced in yard to keep deer out. We could use more sun here in Maine and less rain but they are holding their own.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:51 AM

I wish I could garden more but just don't have the ambition. I do have a tomato plant in a topsy turvey and a RIPE tomato already. Usually don't have those until the middle of June or later.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 AM

I had my husband plow up the perennial bed. I will replace the flowers with cukes, maters, and squash. The perennial bed was very overgrown. The black eyed susans had crowded out every thing else and I was tired of them. Who knows,next year maybe different. The danger of frost has just passed a few days ago and it is time to plant. Growing season is very short here in the high altitude.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:51 AM

My husband puts in a garden each year. This year it was late getting in because we had so much rain. He finish putting in the last two plants May 31st. We had storms come through last night. A little water hole by the corn. Before church he dug a little trench, water now running off. We have corn and he planted a red sweet corn that is actually color red . Never heard of it but he likes to try different things. Have about 8 tomotoes, green beans, cucumbers,two types of lettuce, onions, potatoes, squash, watermelon , and cabbage. It seems to grow more each year. Our neighbors love that he plants so much and so does the local Mission . All extra help feed those without. I love that he has a garden. He does so much for me because of my MS I think it gives him some time to relax. We don't think we ask for much but I know some days I do ask for alot of things. Like would you bring me a glass of ice water to the basement. He always says sure . I just love this guy. And I know that my neighbors do too.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:54 AM

He is a keeper
Old 06-06-2010, 10:10 AM

I have 3 tomato plants (plnted at different times) so not all ready at the same time.
And a purple bell pepper plant.
All have fruit on them but not ripe yet.
Have had lots of rain so far.
JBJ137 in SC