Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Took inventory, so to speak >

Took inventory, so to speak

Took inventory, so to speak

Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 PM

I certainly am not complaining about having too much... :P :P :P

I built it up and love to admire it. I remember reading a thread several months ago where members thought that a lady who had a trailer full of fabric was a horder and that she should donate her fabric so others could use it instead of it being stored.

I was bothered by this because those of us who do have a stash most likely have spent years collecting it, admiring it, feeling it - loving it. IF we choose to bless others, that is wonderful, but to feel in any way obligated to share our stash with others is unfair to expect from us. I have helped friends get started quilting and let them "shop" my stash, I have donated fabric for charity quilts, and I have passed on fabric to other quilters who I have met over the years. However, so much of my stash feels like family to me. I just could not imagine parting with it... even to a quilt.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Old 07-23-2010, 10:22 PM

I have to admit I'm a fabricoholic however I do use it for donation projects. Currently I'm working on making 80 pillowcases for a camp for foster kids who have been abused in the past. These kids are 7-11 years of age and I so wanted to be able to make them something to remind them of their week at camp. I also do projects for volunteer fire departments, veterans, NICUs, Pediatric wards, and cancer centers.

My family keeps asking me when I'm going to do some quilting for them *LOL*
Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I can relate to that! I was living overseas for 20 years where we had no fabric shops, and the only way I could get fabric was when we planned a trip to the U.S. and boy, would I load up!!
Every time I visit the US I buy more fabric, thread and quilting notions than anything else. I remember buying EQ5 thinking it would be worth it because the yardage estimates would make it easy to know what I could make out of the fabrics I had. Unfortunately that isn't how it works!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 PM

I have to raise my hand too.

I would have to live to be about 2,000 years old.

But I quit buying now using up what I have.

My down fall is red, white and blue fabrics with stars and stripes and flags.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:36 AM

I just love to look at my fabric. I get quite excited when I find that "special" piece from my stash to go into a quilt. Do I sound strange??
Old 07-24-2010, 03:28 AM

I started to cry when reading this! How can you ever have too much fabric? Im not understanding this! When I have a bad day, I touch my fabric, its like taking a zanex (sp, I keep fabric in my purse, and rub it when I get frustrated when Im away from my stash, it is very calming! And.....with the prices of fabric going up so high, you better buy now because we wont be able to afford it soon, so I say buy all you can and get into that sewing room! LOL
Old 07-24-2010, 03:33 AM

I thought I had a nice stash until I tried to put some fabrics together for a guild project for this weekend. Was an inch or 2 short for every piece and finally am using some that was not properly printed but I will be able to hide it in the inside of the double folded binding. Do you feel sorry for me? Nah, I did have fun becasue it was a personal challenge to not spend any more money on fabric and still find things that went together and was able to cut a few strips for a string quilt. :)And yes, I did say just not buying fabric, did treat myself to a new neadle holder, some new hand needles, Hmmm, I came home with 4 things in the bag but forget the other 2.
Jeannette in NJ
Old 07-24-2010, 03:41 AM

Well, if I include my dress making fabric, my collection of silk scarves, doilies, lace table cloths, knitting wool, dress patterns, knitting patterns . . . . . I could open a shop. Or I can enjoy it, I knit blankies and australian animals for charity when I am on nights. Quilting fabric is a drop in the ocean in my 'stash'. I prefer the term cache, as it is what might help us survive the hard times.
And it is much much better for you than Xanax.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:43 AM

it is addicting...i say I will quit,. but when i see a certain color..it screams at me to buy it!,. so,. most of the time..I DO!....hard habit to break!lol
Old 07-24-2010, 04:03 AM

I'm like rainy day. I have been knitting and sewing for many many years. I have a knitting machine (now packed away) and probably 30 large cones of yarn, not to mention about 6 bins of hand knitting yarn, which I have been using to knit for Children's Hospital. I have shelves & shelves of apparel fabric from when grandchildren were little and planned on clothes for them; they didn't like my choices, of course. I also have bolts of leftover fabric from making draperies for people; they give me the leftovers. Now I have that new disease, "quilting fever". I do try to use something from my stash whenever I am tempted to buy new fabric. Luckily I have a large basement sewing room with lots of storage, but am finding overflow. My family and friends now know to check with me before they buy fabric for something; we usually can find it in "Grannies store".