Thinning hair

Old 08-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Diabetes will also cause hair loss. So please have them check for diabetes as well. Most doctors will not check for diabetes uless they are asked to. Really sad because diabetes is the silent Killer due to the fact that by the time they "catch it" it has already done the damage and cannot be repaired.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:31 AM

LittleMo - have you checked with the Long Hair Community boards? They have lots of tips for hair loss & how to take care of it.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/index.php
Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 AM

[You will probably laugh at this I was at the hair dressers last winter and a patron whose hair had gotten very thin now had much thicker hair, we ask her what she did and she said someone told her to take prenatal vitamins so she did and her hair thickened up, this lady is well into her 80's so I thought what the heck worth a try, I'm on my second bottle and my hair is getting thicker again, cheap enough to try.I also have my throid checked every year and take meds for it, I'm 72[/quote]

Do you need a prescription for the Pre Natal Vitamins?? I'm also on thyroid meds.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 AM

Don't know your age, but this is very common with older women like myself. I don't fret about (the Lord knows the number of hairs on my head), instead I pull it all back and add a hair piece. I felt pretentious at first, but my daughter has encouraged me.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 AM

I recently had biatric surgery to lose wt. I went to a support group and they had a hair dresser there. Some women have thinning of the hair with the rapid wt . lost. This is even great for those who have lost their hair do to Chemo. It is called Biotin Forte and you don't need a prescription for it but do need to ask the pharamacy for it. As it is kept behind the counter. it comes in 3mg and 5 mg. Wal-Mart sells it for 3mg 60 talbets. $10.17 5mg 60 tabs for 12.38. They usually can get it for you within 24 hours. It will take 2-3 months for new hair growth. The pharamist told me that it is full of vit b and others that help with hair growth and strenghten your nails. Hope this helps
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 AM

I recently had biatric surgery to lose wt. I went to a support group and they had a hair dresser there. Some women have thinning of the hair with the rapid wt . lost. This is even great for those who have lost their hair do to Chemo. It is called Biotin Forte and you don't need a prescription for it but do need to ask the pharamacy for it. As it is kept behind the counter. it comes in 3mg and 5 mg. Wal-Mart sells it for 3mg 60 talbets. $10.17 5mg 60 tabs for 12.38. They usually can get it for you within 24 hours. It will take 2-3 months for new hair growth. The pharamist told me that it is full of vit b and others that help with hair growth and strenghten your nails. Hope this helps
Old 08-23-2010, 10:12 AM

well i take thyroid meds every day plus i'm well past menopause and my hair has always been fine. had a lot of it too. i was wondering if Rogaine for women would help. any know?
Old 08-23-2010, 02:05 PM

I am 74 and virtually bald. Always had fine hair (inherited from father). The only time I had good hair growth is when I was taking supplemental female hormones to try to maintain a pregnancy. When I lost the baby, I also lost the hair. I believe it is caused by all the factors mentioned. I hate wigs (too hot) so I cover my head with a doo rag (for want of a better name). Buy them at WM...come in all colors. When I take it off grandkids don't like it..say I look like Darth Vader when he takes his mask off. GS is really rude and insensitive(ADHA).
It is something I have just learned to live with...don't have another option. And yes I have taken all the meds/supplements and vitamins in the world. Got tired of that after a while.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:12 PM

Biotin is very good to help with hair.. My DMIL lost most of her hair after and very serious illness.. After she got out of the hospital she was really sparse.. She began Biotin and her hair is now beautiful again, and she'll be 91 next month!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:44 PM

Age'll do it, heredity (THANKS a lot, Gramps!), and stress can all play a part with regard to hair loss. You might want to have your thyroid checked, even a reading of normal but in a lower range can cause havoc!