Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about making potholders... >

? about making potholders...

? about making potholders...

Old 10-29-2010, 11:54 AM

At the thrift store, I found a mattress pad/cover made of cotton. It was quilted, thick and in great shape. I bought this and use it for potholders, hot pads, etc. It was for a full-size bed so it will probably last me forever, LOL. So far, all the potholders I have used it for, the outsides have worn out before the liner did.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
At the thrift store, I found a mattress pad/cover made of cotton. It was quilted, thick and in great shape. I bought this and use it for potholders, hot pads, etc. It was for a full-size bed so it will probably last me forever, LOL. So far, all the potholders I have used it for, the outsides have worn out before the liner did.
The mattress pad are great for all kinds of things. I use them to make cusions for the outdoor furniture and kitchen chairs. Washable and easy to cut / sew. Love "recycling" from the thrift shops! 100% cotton sheets in good condition are great for backings on utility quilts.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Dee

I use 1 layer warm and natural and 2 layers insul brite then layer of w/n. Never feel heat.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:52 PM

as you have been told you use Islu batting and it is cheaper at a Hobby Lobby
Old 10-30-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i know one lady who makes pot holder and she uses old terry towels she cuts up and folds for the center. they work great, hold up to many many washings and i never burn my fingers using one she made. i am no good at making potholders and have given up...mine always burn your fingers and i even tried the insulbrite stuff...so i gave up making them i admire anyone who can make a cool potholder.
I, too. learned to make pot holders with all cotton terry cloth towels. 2 layers. I sew the front and back separetly each with their own towel layer. It's easy to quilt them individually and then I sew the whole thing together, tack them if needed and bind the edges. They work great. I especially love the towels that are like velour on one side, but any towel works.

Here's 2 I made recently. The bigger one was a large quilt square I made that I wasn't enamored with, so I just folded the 4 corners into the center, sewed them together (inside out) and turned it right side out. I cut 2 towel layers in the size it became,and put the towels in before I closed up the turning slot. When I sewed around the outside edge it secured the towels. What looks like a rainbow binding was part of the block-I didn't add it later. The yellow X was a border strip around the original block. The whole thing sure made a crazy pattern. :lol: :lol:

front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116037[/ATTACH]

rear
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116038[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-116032.jpe   attachment-116033.jpe  
Old 10-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

I used the insulbrite for 1 layer and W&N for another layer. I'm scared not to use the insulbrite when giving them for gifts.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
I use both, the Insulbright on the side that goes toward the pot and the warm and natural toward the hand. Makes a nice pot holder.
I agree with her the insul- brite keeps the heat out and i also use the layer of warm and natural the way she said and mine came out nice
Old 10-31-2010, 07:20 PM
e4

I just use several layers of mostly cotton batting (like Warm & Natural) or 2 layers of wool batting. I haven't used Insulbrite because it seems crinkly and makes a lot of noise when I handle it in my LQS. Does it always sound "Crispy"?
Old 10-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smtp5
There is special batting, called Insta-brite, and it is at Joanne's!
I am making pot holder and with insta bright it says it should be sandwiched between cotton batting./ My feeling is I will use 3 layers of cotton batting and NO insta brite.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:13 AM

My WONDERFUL mother-in-law, who inspires me whenever I have project ideas, has provided with me enough Insul-Bright to make several pairs of potholders, the instructions say one layer of insulbright and one layer of W & N, so that's what I'll do. Thanks so much for all the great tips and Ideas! I love you guys!!