Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hi! I'm Stephanie or CruisingStef and I need your help >

Hi! I'm Stephanie or CruisingStef and I need your help

Hi! I'm Stephanie or CruisingStef and I need your help

Old 11-09-2010, 06:05 PM

My sister made some lap quilts for wheelchairs and she came up with the idea of using those "garters" that hold fitted sheets on the mattress (they remind me of the old garter belts women used to torture themselves with) hooked on the corner of the quilt, wrapped around a post on the WC & hooked again near the same place on the quilt. Stays on better & easier to use than ties.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:22 PM

This is a wonderful thing for you to do. I belong to a bee that did this one year for a local nursing home. The nursing home was so happy about what we were doing, they made it a special event for the residents by serving cookies and lemonade. The ladies in our bee went from one resident to another giving them their quilt. Of course, some were so out of it they never knew, but most did and were so appreciative. Although we hadn't planned to do it, they had an organ there, and one of our bee members was a church organist, so we ended up singing Christmas Carols to them! Truly we were more blessed than they were! It was an unforgettable experience. Since then my mother passed away in July in an out of state nursing home; just couldn't get her to move by me! I miss her so much, and I've been thinking of making lap quilts for the residents who have no family. There are too many for me to make by myself, but if I could do something for those who don't have family to give them presents at Christmas etc. it would help me deal with my mother's loss. Whatever size quilts you make, they are sure to be appreciated!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:49 PM

What a thoughtful idea you have.

The quilting program at the prison has made over 8,000 40" x 40" lap robes for nursing home residents. They just also happen to be perfect for little "nappers" at our local head start and other day care centers. No one has said anything regarding corners getting caught in the wheels.

God bless your efforts.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:51 PM

Hi and welcome from Alaska. I think what you are doing for the nursing home is superb. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:05 PM

I found a pattern for a wheel chair quillow.....I am making some with pretty quilted tops & also fleece..& denim...google & you will get free pattern
Old 11-09-2010, 07:10 PM

wonderful project. my quilt group makes quilts for local people who are ill. we put a label on the back that says " comfort quilt from the strawberry patchers" we use warm and naturel for all the quilts. it seems to be good for warm or cold temps. keep up the good work. hope your hubby is doing well. god bless
Old 11-09-2010, 07:17 PM

I just made one for my sister who is in a nursing home and in a wheel chair. I think I mad it about 45 or 50" wide because I wanted it to come around their sides (no draft). I used warm & natural and backed it with flannel. The reason is that she is always cold even in our hot, hot summers she wears a light jacket or sweater. I would make a variety because the nursing home will know who is hot and cold. Our sewing group also did some quilts, we made them 45" wide by 55".
Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 PM

I used to make them from my much loved Grandfather when velour first came out. At the time I crocheted around them and he loved them. I am sure all you make will be really appreciated.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:21 PM

I have made quilts for nursing home patients. The average in size between 38 x 48 to 42 x 52. This size range seemed to work well. If you have a small woman in a small wheel chair the smaller size is more appropriate but for a big man in a bigger wheel chair the bigger size might be needed.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:27 PM

I asked at the nursing home where I volunteer and they said lap sise to fit on their laps while sitting in the wheel chair. I was thinking of crocheting afghans and wondered what size. hope this helps.