Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hi! I'm Stephanie or CruisingStef and I need your help >

Hi! I'm Stephanie or CruisingStef and I need your help

Hi! I'm Stephanie or CruisingStef and I need your help

Old 11-09-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
I make charity lap robes all the time. I have two finished sizes that seem to work fine so far, 30" x 36" and 36" x 42". These don't get caught in the wheels and seem to cover them just right. I use whatever batting I have on hand, some don't have batting if I use flannel for a backing. Thank you for doing this charity work that the residents will appreciate. From one quilter living in Lakeland to another!!!
I also make charity lap throws and enjoy it thoroughly. Mostly mine are 33-36" by 45-50". I figure they can double it up a bit at the waist level to keep it from catching in the wheels. When I delivered the last set, the lady thanked me many times because she said with the economy being as bad as it is they are way down on their donations and she so much appreciated the donation. Warms one's heart to know your work is so appreciated.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:05 AM

Hi! I recently made a lap throw for my son's father-in-law, a veteran police officer, that had a stroke. I knew he would be in rehab for a long time and in a wheelchair. The following are the things that I took into account:

First, I do pre-wash all the fabric because of all the chemicals used in the manufacturing of the material. The folks in the nursing home are there because of their frail condition and medical issues so I don't want to provide anything that could add one more irritant to their already compromised bodies. I wash WITHOUT any scented products for the same reason. What may smell good to one person could really bother someone else that has allergy or respiratory issues. (I for one get really bad headaches and my asthma acts up when exposed to chemicals and fragrances).

I used Quilter's Dream Cotton because it's very thin and 100% cotton with no scrim, glue or binders yet the stitching can be as far apart as 8 inches (though mine was closer). Since it's so clean it doesn't need pre-washing. It comes in a throw size which is 60 x 60. The finished size of my throw was 54 x 60. The light weight cotton adds plenty of warmth and yet breathes very well.

In addition, I used a flannel back so that it wouldn't slide off his lap when in the wheelchair. The thing I know about ties (having been an O.T. in a nursing home for many years) is that not everyone will take the time to tie a lap throw in place...and then the ties that were meant to secure the throw are the things that can get caught in various places...including the spokes of the wheelchair.

Regarding the size of the throw...you could vary the sizes for ones that want something that just cover the lap and ones that want a bit more. I was concerned at first that his throw might be too large but I realized that it was large enough to allow the staff to tuck it around him (and out of the way of the wheels) which he really liked. And...his daughter was thrilled to see that when he got home he liked to sleep with it and cuddle up with it when he watched his favorite football team on TV. (I made the quilt in the colors of his team with their logo).

I think what you're doing provides a wonderful service and ministry. One thing I noticed in all my years working in nursing homes was that people who had to use wheelchairs were less likely to be hugged than others who didn't because it's not always easy to bend down and hug someone. The wheelchair in some ways became a physical barrier for receiving much needed touch...which is so sad. The throws are an awesome idea...especially for those persons that might not even be able to place them on their lap themselves because it means someone else will need to do it...and in the process the recipient then feels the loving touch of someone as it is tucked around them.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:06 AM

what a lovely person you are - very thoughtful - not sure about size or anything but you could take a look at Bamboo wadding very light which might be better if they don't like alot of weight
Old 11-09-2010, 07:10 AM

Hi Stephanie! Welcome from North Central PA and God Bless your loving and giving heart.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:03 AM

Hi Stephanie, our Quilt Guild makes them 45" x 60 ".
Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 AM

Old 11-09-2010, 08:05 AM

Old 11-09-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
i would ask someone here who is in a wheel chair as to the size..it would be nice to cover up while sitting. i have also heard that cutting off the bottom corners, or rounding them out, would help to keep them for getting caught in the wheels.
but i am sure someone here knows first hand..
what a wonderful thing to do!

this info was found at :
http://bcquilter.wordpress.com/quilt...n-quilt-sizes/

WHEELCHAIR LAP QUILT – 36″ x 36″ to 38″ x 47″ or (91cm x 91cm to 97cm x 119cm )– adding ties is sometimes a good idea, so they don’t slip off.

LAP – between 52″ – 68″ or 132cm x 173cm wide and the length can be from about 52″ – 78″ or 132cm x 198cm. Although a lap quilt can be any size. A quilt that a child will want to bring along could be as small as 36″x36″ or 91cm x 91cm. A lap quilt that is 42″x 60″ 107cm x 152cm is great for cuddling up on the couch with.
I finally feel I know something that will really help here. I am in a wheelchair, and a perfect size I believe would be 38 wide, and 47 long. Don't make it to long so it gets caught in the wheels. This size would be for an average sized person. If someone is very heavy, a little larger would work better.

Another idea for those people that get really cold would be to make the 38x47, and make a matching Shawl with snaps at the corners of the shawl to hold them together without any ties. Ties could get caught in the wheels, and I've already been thrown out of my chair when I was taking laundry back to the bedroom when one of the long sleeves caught in my wheels.

I am missing a leg, which is why I am in a chair, but very capable of doing everything most people do. But people in nursing homes don't have all the capabilities to protect themselves. And I think this is a wonderful thing for you to do.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:32 AM

Our guild makes wheelchair quilts 42" square and lap quilts 45" or just one fabric width by 60" long. We also use Hobbs Polydown batting which is reasonable, washes very well and is easy to machine quilt. Happy stitching these wonderful projects!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:41 AM

Hi Stef, welcome. You just got me thinking about my hubby, who is disabled and his feet are always cold. So, I'm going to make him a snuggie-type sack that is closed on one end for his feet and long enough for him to pull up to his chin. You are helping more people than you know, what a special person you are. Thank you for getting me thinking. I'm going to the sewing room right now to make his.

Hugs, Gail in Utah