Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset >

Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset

Quilting when you're angry/hurt/upset

Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I can't. For some reason, I would associate that item with the hurt I was feeling and never touch it again. I am weird like that.
I'm the same way.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 AM

I can't sew or quilt if I'm upset. I make so many mistakes because I can't concentrate on what I'm doing. Then I just get frustrated. I can clean like crazy though, work off my issues I guess.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I can't. For some reason, I would associate that item with the hurt I was feeling and never touch it again. I am weird like that.
That's me- I have to go do something else to make me feel better about myself before I touch the fabric. It's like there is this spiritual connection with the project- into it gets poured my love, my talent and myself, and I wouldn't want angry feelings poured into it. Like you, I would never want to see that piece again, because the colors or arrangement would bring up all those yucky feelings again. I can't even quilt when I'm feeling sick.

Now making bread is just the opposite for me- I can knead bread and pound it out with never a care that my anger is going to show up in the baked loaf. Maybe it's the cleansing part of it being baked.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:16 PM

I used to slam cabinet doors ... that always felt good. Not so hard as to cause them damage just enough to make enough noise to say 'I'm angry'.

Since my DH's stroke I do almost anything to avoid confrontation because he has so little control over his anger. He's not violent or anything but sometimes things come out with a 'look that could kill' or sounding really angry. Now when this happens, I just turn around and go into my sewing room and stay there.

Sometimes he comes in later and says he's sorry, other times he asks what's wrong because he doesn't even realize how what he said sounded. The stroke affected his 'complex thinking' skills and when he has to 'think' a lot he gets very tired and short tempered (much like a toddler who needs a nap). It's very hard for someone whose strongest gift was analizing data and implementing procedures to know he can no longer 'think on his feet'.

I don't always sew, often times I turn on the 'boob tube' and just sort of veg out! Other times sewing is therapeutic. I joined the 15 minutes a day thread and am trying to spend at least 15 minutes doing something sewing/quilting related. Last night I realized something that surprised. Although I sewed for more than an hour, I only got the front and back of my bag constructed but haven't started the lining or zipper yet. My mom used to boast that you could wear my things inside out but quality is important to me and it's OK if I take longer. However, I may not be able to make any money off these handbags to supplement our income unless I can stream-line my process.

But if I think of it as therapy ... I guess that counts for something?

Peggy
(brrrrrr in Fla.)
Old 12-07-2010, 02:35 PM

No, No, and absolutely NO WAY NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!! I realize that I am in the minority but experience has taught me that my accuracy of anything----cutting, drafting, sewing, you name it----is at best unreliable and at worst, downright comical when I'm upset. However....I will design something new if I'm in the mood (usually not!) but then I mark it with the date and the mood I was in, and a note to self to doublecheck absolutely everything before ever starting it!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:12 PM

When I'm angry or upset I can't concentrate. I'm here looking at all my WIP's and crying yet again.

Six years ago I left everything behind (career, family, support network and country) to be with a smooth talking guy (lot of vague answers to my questions and lots of vague promises). We married nearly five years ago and it's never been smooth sailing. Because we live in two places, he has work but I can't unless it's portable.

Married less than 1 1/2 years, he found a new g/f. I confronted him and he swore it was a mistake and would not be repeated. Along with that he began to drink progressively more heavily. It's now a very isolating existence and this summer I didn't travel with him (my nightly entertainment would be to listen to him drunk dialing). We met up for his daughter's wedding and he brought up divorce. Every time he's unhappy he decides getting rid of me will make him feel better. Oh yeah, and swore no new g/f, turns out it was a lie. So even though we didn't marry for the first two years we knew each other, it turns out I got a lying, cheating, drunk. The three things I swore I'd never have in my marriage. But I'm the problem, because I speak up.

And now that my future is gone (emotionally and financially, good luck getting my career back), I'm immobilized. I'm highly educated and had a great career going, just believed in someone else's view of the future. For the first time in a life that I've always taken care of without help from anyone, I'm scared.

But I'll do whatever it takes to not invest a single day more in this than I absolutely have to, I'm worth more than that no matter what he talks himself into believing.

And when I can finally concentrate on quilts, they'll be more special.

I suppose I spewed all this as my way of saying FVGoddess, NEVER look back at the man who doesn't treat you well. And keep expressing yourself by creating things of beauty to send out into the world.

And to everyone who sees this, thank you for indulging me, I have no one to go to and once in awhile it all just gets to be more than I can handle. I don't normally have a need to share my private life, but I guess this pushed my buttons today.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:44 PM

Quilting is my therapy, when I'm upset or worried about something or DH is trying to argue I just say I'm going upstairs. Sewing , cutting planning etc. relaxes me. The quilt in my avatar is one I just finished for my neice for Christmas.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by cjomomma
LOL!!! When I am angry I get the rotary cutter out and some fabric out and start cutting sq's or stripes. It seems to calm me down and with OCD and anxiety I need to settle as fast as possible.
I did that some of that myself this morning. My ex decided a couple days ago he was going to go on my Trench (the Kittie board's equivilant of a Personal Journal thread) and let me know what he thought of me (according to him, I'm selfish, heartless, and a bunch of other things that will get me banned if I say them), that he lied to me about his businesses going down the tube and that he has half a mil in the bank (not that I ever cared about his money, but that's a big thing to lie about), and that he was planning to dump me anyways (we never actually officially "broke up"---things happened and he got angry with me and stopped talking to me so I had to assume it was over). Why does he tell me this A MONTH AFTER we're over? And while he's badmouthing me he's trying to make himself look like the good guy...despite lying to me and saying that he was going to dump me (but he didn't because he "felt sorry for me"). I'm more mad than anything, but I'm also kind of hurt, too. And no thanks to him (and partially me because I exchanged words to defend myself), my Trench was locked by the mods so nobody can make new posts. Already vented to friends. Can't vent to mom without being critical towards me or going on a man hunt for the ex. Still feel angry.

Woke up this morning after having nightmares. Remembered the crap with the ex. Suddenly I felt like cutting the fabric I have been putting off. It was a little more satisfying to use that rotary cutter.
:thumbup:
Be thankful, you don't need a jerk like that. What he tried to do is disrespectful and abusive. Why is he bothering after a month has gone by? Maybe he couldn't handle the fact that you moved on.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:59 PM

Like your idea, have a bunch of scraps that need cutting and this time of the year, get a bit peeved at times..
Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 PM

Woke up this morning after having nightmares. Remembered the crap with the ex. Suddenly I felt like cutting the fabric I have been putting off. It was a little more satisfying to use that rotary cutter. [/color] :thumbup:
Be thankful, you don't need a jerk like that. What he tried to do is disrespectful and abusive. Why is he bothering after a month has gone by? Maybe he couldn't handle the fact that you moved on.[/quote]

Take your peace and run with it. Being peaceful in your own mind is revenge enough. You can't undo anything, you can only take care of YOU. Remember, it's not your job to fix HIM.