Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I can't wear a thimble! >

Help! I can't wear a thimble!

Help! I can't wear a thimble!

Old 12-07-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by leaha
I was the same way, for years and years I never wore a thimble, then a gal told me, get a good fitting one, wet the end of your finger, put it on and wear it ALL day, you will find you really will get used to it, now I can't do any hand sewing with one, love my thimble, good luck!~~~~~~~
I had some 'seasoned' quilters to tell me to pop your thimble finger in your mouth to wet it. Then slip your thimble on. Your saliva glues it to your finger for the whole day, it works great! Love all the tips we learn from ladies that have been quilting longer than we have.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 AM

I have been reading all the negative responses. I think we have to teach the younger gals how to use the thimble. I was taught at the age of 10 by my Great Aunt who was a seamstress. I was not allowed to sew without one. Now at 80 I cannot sit and sew anything without a thimble. It is our duty to pass on to the younger women.,
Old 12-07-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I buy heavy gloves (the kind you buy to wash dishes) and cut the fingers off one by one to use. Protects my fingers just fine.
I do this also, but when one of the fingers was a bit large, I "lined" the inside with a bit of leather. It has formed to fit my finger over time, and saves me from getting pricked thru the rubber glove finger. I just have to make sure to put it in the right place each time I put it on.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:08 AM

I have never been able to get used to wearing a metal thimble...but do use a leather one...usually one of the heavier goatskin ones, but also the lighter weight one when I do bindings.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:11 AM

I had a problem too and my GM used to get so peeved at me. Many years later I found some little leather strips in a circle, about 3/8ths" wide. They are perfect for me.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
I have trouble with thimbles as well. I use a small piece of plastic cut from the top of a Christmas card box, and cut small strips of tape from the first aid box, criss-crossing them across my finger. I was sewing the binding on a very large quilt a couple of weekends ago, and had this on my push finger all weekend, and my DH finally asked what was wrong with my finger Sunday evening. LOL
Quilters are so inventive!! So many good ideas here other than a traditional thimble!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 AM

Have you tried one of the thimbles that has an open end so that your fingernail and top of your finger sticks out. One like a Roxanne thimble. Know there are many more out there like that. If you don't know what I'm talking about google Roxanne thimble and you can see the kind I'm referring to. They are a bit pricy but well worth it.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:21 AM

tellabella:

Take a look at this website: http://www.houseofquilting.com/handh...ng-thimble.php

I have not tried this one yet, but I keep looking at it, and someday will order one. No worries of slipping, and size doesn't matter. It may take a little getting used to, but so does anything new.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:27 AM

My mother used to have thimbles with rounded tips and little indents for the needle to "catch" in. I loved those and still have very old one. But I'm too fat to wear it now, and can't find any more. I hate the ones with the straight sides and barrel top. I can wear a leather thimble for a while. It's usually my OTHER fingers that get poked - you know, the one under the quilt catching the needle! Does anyone wear a thimble there?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 AM

I use white bandage tape. It doesn't get really sticky and protects your finger as well as a thimble would. I can't find a thimble that fits or feels comfortable on my finger.