Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Substitutes for batting??? >

Substitutes for batting???

Substitutes for batting???

Old 12-12-2010, 06:32 PM

My mom and grandmother used blankets from the dollar stores when I was small. And they quilted by hand. When my mother-in-law gave us some "itchy" blankets that my kids hated, I used them as batting. Since the blankets had a pattern, I turned them over so that the pattern faced the back of the quilt. I was using a cheap cotton for backing, which means the pattern showed through the backing. Not that it mattered, but it gave the backing some interest. The quilts were utilitarian, so using the blankets turned out to be a good idea--they were heavy and warm. My mil complimented me on my frugality. And I was able to put the blankets to good use at a time when we couldn't afford to waste anything.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:45 PM
PEP

Keep in mind that sweats are a knit and stretch, your cotton pieced top won't, could cause problems. I usually end up creating my own problems that I didn't foresee - I don't need to start with incompatibility in fabric, but that's just me! Good luck with whatever you choose. Might want to do a sample on say a sweat sleeve and a piece of cotton to see how it works. Be sure to let us all know. Patty
Old 12-12-2010, 08:00 PM

I like to use new materials for batting. I spend so much money on fabric, it is hard to put something that may wear out quicker than my my top.
I have used Polar fleece, especially for cancer quilts, they make a warm and soft quilt.
Poly is pretty inexpensive to use, purchase it on a roll, I think it is less likely to have thin spots on it.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 PM

Great ideas you guys. I know you are suppose to wash the flannel before you use it but do you wash the fleece first also?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy
My grandmother used to put old "sheet blankets" in some of her quilts. If you're not familiar with them, they were lightweight blankets.. sort of like receiving blankets only adult sized.
I have used these sheet blankets many times! Works great
Old 12-12-2010, 09:02 PM

I've picked up a few fitted mattress pads at the Good Will store and used those. Cut the corner stitching off so it lays flat. I p/u a King size for $3.00 and was able to do a few lap quilts. Very cheap... umm thrifty.. LOL
Old 12-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

I don't understand how sweatshirts could possibly be used as batting--wouldn't the sleeves, hoods, etc. just make huge bumps and valleys in the finished quilt? How would you join them together to make a flat batting? Old blankets,mattress pads and so forth sound great and surely it would usually be possible to find them at garage sales, Goodwill/Salvation Army, thrift stores.

Dana
Old 12-12-2010, 10:52 PM

i have used old mattress covers - the quilted kind. they make very soft and pliable quilts
Old 12-12-2010, 11:10 PM

I use ugly fleece.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by danade
I don't understand how sweatshirts could possibly be used as batting--wouldn't the sleeves, hoods, etc. just make huge bumps and valleys in the finished quilt? How would you join them together to make a flat batting? Old blankets,mattress pads and so forth sound great and surely it would usually be possible to find them at garage sales, Goodwill/Salvation Army, thrift stores.

Dana
Cut out the front and back flat areas to whre you have even squares, slpice it together with the zig zag stitch, don't over lap! Of course you'd have to have enough old sweats to be able to have enough for the size quilt you need. Use the rest of the shirt for dust rags. It really works. If they are well used then you dont have to worry whether or not if they'll shrink with the tops.