Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-27-2011, 06:45 PM

In the 70s with 6 kids, ~15, 13, 11, 9, 8, 4. I fed our family of 8 on $200.00 a month, including paper goods. That was tough, but we all survived.

I still dilute shampoo 50/50 w/water. I use small bars of Irish Spring to scrape (with potato peeler) to keep deer from eating my hosta and small trees. I use very little laundry detergent (liquid). Read somewhere that you do not need ANY detergent. Dye my own hair. Cut my own hair. Do my own nails. Mow the lawn. My husband and I remove our own dead trees and cut them up and stack the wood for winter. I don'' wear "designer" clothes.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Well I'm like alot of you guys I guess, I wash and reuse my ziploc bags and tin foil. I cut my dryer sheets in half. I reuse gift bags and tissue from gifts. I scrape all jars and cans clean. When we go thru a drive thru somewhere I bring the ketchup packets, dipping sauce and napkins home. We use the condiments when we take our lunches and I haven't bought napkins in years. I use cloth towels, not paper towels. I wash clothes mainly in cold water. I garden so I do alot of canning. I use old newspapers in my garden and flower beds to keep down the weeds. I put water in shampoo and conditioner when it gets low. I take the slivers on soap and put them in a old sock and use them to wash my hand when I'm out gardening. I use old socks to clean with and even my old towels get cut into smaller pieces that we use for working on the car or lawn mower. I cut off old sweat pants and jeans to make shorts. I'm sure there are more. If I can figure out a way to reuse something I try to. I guess I figure my pay for something when I can just use something else I have. Guess this all comes from being a single mom when I was raising my two boys and there was never any money so we had to learn to use what we had. Even though my boys are grown now I still have a hard time changing my ways.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM

I volunteer on Wed and Fri in "town", and I try to do all my errands while in town, post office, grocery store, tax office, bank, pay electric bill (save those stamps), and Wal Mart (saving gas).

Cut off lights when not in use, keep temp on 68, drink water in restaurants.

In quilting, I do not waste anything. I cut all scraps into some size blocks (1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4 in.) to use later in scrap quilt.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
[ We don't care, there's always food on our table, clothes on our back and we are debt free.
As in Dave Ramsey? I love that man! :)[/quote]

Not familiar with Dave Ramsey, but when we were both young we decided the only way to go was have 1 loan ever - a mortgage, then worked our behinds off to pay it off. When we met later in life we both owned our own homes...not many like us....and it's not for everyone....we don't have holidays or expensive cars etc. but we do have peace of mind and no sleepless nights stressing about stuff.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 PM

us either, we have gone back to using cloth napkins, so much nicer too, I use used dryer sheets for foundation for crazy quilt blocks, (thanks claudia!), use handmadeor reusable shopping bags instead of plastic bags, but, if forgotten, we use those in the small bathroom wastebaskets, also use the juice out of peppercini jars added in potato salad, macaroni salad and on pinto beans, mmm good! I send milk and OJ in those jars in DH lunch tote!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

I love all these tips!
I always do my own nails b/c I like to do them. I must save a lot b/c I always use polish. It's my little treat for me.
I've had a manicure maybe twice in my life and I really like the way I do them better :D
Keep the tips coming!!!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 PM

I keep my heat at 62 when I am home and 56 when I am gone or sleeping...I have gotten used to the cooler temps...add another layer if feel chilly, made fleece"wristies" to keep my hands warm.

Thank-you all who are sharing your ideas here. I do some of them too, but have added to my list many more frugal ideas to help.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 PM

I'd like the recipe for making my own laundry detergent.
Please pm me so I won't miss it. thanks much
Old 01-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Jim

my neighbors give us their sunday newspapers after they read them...I clip coupons that we would use from them (usual savings of about $75.00 a month on groceries)and then put the newspaper inour compost bin. Costs me nothing...I compost food scraps for our garden...and crush egg shells to add there too...all free to me
Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 PM

I also refill all my foaming hand soap dispensers. I buy a bottle of Ivory dishwashing liquid and use it in my bottles. It is concentrated and mild on hands, so it is perfect. It only takes a small amount, maybe less than a half inch and then finish filling with water. Shake gently.
When the bottle quits working well, I pitch it and buy a new one. I like doing this because it saves money, is not antibacterial, and one bottle of dishwashing liquid makes many refills.