Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Say you have 13 dogs in your house... >

Say you have 13 dogs in your house...

Say you have 13 dogs in your house...

Old 02-01-2011, 06:24 PM

I've been playing "musical dogs" today. The little short-haired ones have been in all day (using piddle pads) since our high was 21 degrees. The bigger kids have been in and out. Brrrrrr
Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I am amazed that anyone would train dogs to pee on something in the house...
I know- weird. But- with these dogs, I have a blind dog that can't navigate 2 dog doors to get outside, and have had broken legs and casts over the years. Most of the time, they do go outside, but the snow here is over their heads, and they do not have the body weight or coats to navigate, so...

They all use the pads, even the ones that usually would NEVER go potty in the house. I trained the blind one, but putting him ON the pad when he needed to pee, and praising him to death! Giving them one place to pee eliminates peeing in secret in the corners. Ugh.

During days like this, the pads get changed 3 X a day, and into the machine. There is no odor because they aren't hanging around. Also, these are little dogs.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltDraggon
Your Iggies are precious and what great jackets. Did you use a commercial pattern or just make one up?
Iggies never fit into standard issue dog clothes. Too long and too skinny. So I made one up, based loosely on one I had hanging around. I have a friend who makes fabulous dog clothes.

She is on artfire and etsy and named spoiled bratzwear. She makes the best clothes, and has donated some, but I can't afford it with all these dogs. I hope it is okay to refer to her- because lots of you have asked about the clothes.

I detest making them, and don't make them to sell for that reason. Plus, others do it so much better than I could. I do it to keep the kids warm.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 PM

I love her stuff!!! I have bought several things for my Min Pin that she custom made for him. I know I could sew them myself but it is much easier to pay her to do it with just the one. My other 2 are chessies and they would NEVER been seen wearing clothes or need them for that matter.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 PM

Holly rocks. She has made most of my potty pads. And she runs a non-profit called Silver Hounds, which donates money and resources to senior Italian Greyhounds in rescue. She has been my rescue buddy forever. And her clothes are amazing. Her Halloween costumes for dogs are unbelievable.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:02 PM

She made a vampire one for Rickey Hill that was awesome. He was the hit of Halloween on our street. I just came across her stuff on Etsy one day and was so glad I did. I'm glad to hear she helps with the seniors. I've never adopted an Iggie but I have had several senior greyhounds and the seniors are special.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
And say the snow is way too high for their tiny little bones...

You might take a break from quilting to make blizzard sized potty pads. And some coats for the kids....
I have 4 dogs that's plenty thank you. 2 were rescues. Won't you have trouble getting them to potty outside when the weather is nice again? Sorry but I gotta ask. :oops:
Old 02-01-2011, 07:14 PM

WOW! I'm a major dog lover having two border collies to adore. I am the only person I know who owns two dogs. So I'm astounded that so many of you own numerous dogs. I think it's wonderful mind you, but don't you find it's extremely expensive to keep them all in good health. One of my borders has been sick, developing a chronic condition which has cost us majorly this year.... I just don't know how you manage. But bless you all for taking care of these beautiful, loyal animals.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 PM

I would like to clear up one thing- I have 5 dogs, which is alot of dog. I foster another 8 at the moment, which is way way too many. We are just in a crunch in rescue right now and there is nowhere for them to go.

So I don't actually own 13 dogs, though in another sense, the rescue, which I run, has 14 foster dogs, 8 of whom are here, and six are in other foster homes.

And yes, it is very expensive- most of the dogs we take in need complete dentals, complete shots and testing for heartworm and parasites and a spay/neuter. On average, we spend about $240- $270. on a rescue, and our adoption fee is $200. And that does not include Frontline, Heartgard, and food/bedding/toys, etc. We are a non-profit corporation, but almost half the funding for these dogs comes directly from Jim and I.

Each year, we have between 2-4 surgeries- broken bones, slipped patellas being common issues, and periodontic problems. When you wonder why a rescued animal costs as much as it does- these are some of the reasons.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM

gypsy is a cutie pie!!! looks like you had a very fun day!