Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 08-01-2011, 01:01 PM

Count me in as a proud owner of a Featherweight. I purchased my FW from someone who is into preservation/restoration of FW's in June. I paid a little more than I wanted to, but received a year's warranty and free shipping. She is in pristine condition and has a great stitch, however the case does have an "old smell".
She was born Dec. 9th, 1948, the same birthday as my DD, (not the same year). I named her Darl, after my husband (short for Darling), because he found her for me, after much intense looking, needless to say, I was thrilled to death.
I have already pieced and quilted a baby quilt for my new DGS born 7/7/11. I plan taking her to our monthly quilting guild sewing, where we make charity quilts for local hopsitals.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-235017.jpe  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 PM

Darl is not only beautiful -- but what a wonderful presentation of her in the photo. :)
Old 08-02-2011, 04:56 AM

Ok, so I have shared my story of how I acquired my Featherweight, Darl (short for Darling and nickname for my husband as he was the one who found her for me). I need some suggestions how I might get the "old" smell from my case. It is in very good condition or otherwise I would purchase a new one, but want to try anything and everything I can to rid it of the smell. It is not a musty smell, as I do not think it was ever in a damp environment, but just smells old. I did purchase some aquarium charcoal, and it seems to help a little. Hopeing someone can give a suggestion, I know as old as these machines are, mine can't be the only one that is smelly.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 AM

I am so excited - I just got my birth year FW from Ebay. I've been looking and looking and finally decided to just bite the bullet and get one. Hopefully she will be in as pristine condition as the seller states.

That means I will soon be selling Libby, my 1956 FW. I've had her for a long time and she has been a good sewing buddy. Libby was my first FW.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
I am so excited - I just got my birth year FW from Ebay. I've been looking and looking and finally decided to just bite the bullet and get one. Hopefully she will be in as pristine condition as the seller states.

That means I will soon be selling Libby, my 1956 FW. I've had her for a long time and she has been a good sewing buddy. Libby was my first FW.
That's my birth year!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:28 PM

I have my moms and love it.
- Harry
Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by redpurselady

I will try to find the answer. Just can't remember where I stored the info on getting the smell out. Sitting it in the sunlight helps, sprinkling with baking soda also does. But, I have heard of a few more remedies. :D

Oh, I think I have also heard of stuffing it with newspapers and changing it often.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:08 AM

I bought a feather weight and had to have new bobbin winder belt and bobbin case and foot control put on I have a problem with it it sews a great stitch but can not get the bobbin to wind have tried everything bought bobbins do not know what else to try can someone tell me how to get it to work thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by chergram
I bought a feather weight and had to have new bobbin winder belt and bobbin case and foot control put on I have a problem with it it sews a great stitch but can not get the bobbin to wind have tried everything bought bobbins do not know what else to try can someone tell me how to get it to work thanks
I know this may be a dumb question, but did you move the bobbin winder down towards the belt so it will make contact? Contact with the belt is what makes the bobbin turn. Also, have you turned the silver knob on the big wheel to disengage the needle shaft? That way the bobbin will wind without making the needle go up and down.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 AM

per redpurselady's response, the small silver knob on the big black wheel needs to be turned forward to disengage the needle for bobbin winding. when i got my featherweight, the small silver knob was "stuck" back -- and the repair man i purchased it from used a rubber gripper (like to open tight jar lids) to eventually move the silver knob forward and release the needle from movement. he told me to not "tighten" that silver knob when i changed its position. good luck :)