Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Has anyone seen replacement handles for the cases. Mine the leather is all worn off and it is wrapped with electrical tape. I would like to replace it. Maybe just take the handle to the cobbler and see if it can just be recovered.

Also, has anyone taken out the liner and replaced it to get rid of the mildew smell. I know it is caused by the old glue.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:52 PM

I just acquired another Featherweight and she is a beauty. I found her on Craigslist. The guy was asking only 180.00 so I took that much in, but when I got there I got brave and asked if that was the least he would take. He said 150.00 so I jumped on it. It is complete with the case but no extras. We met in a parking lot, so there was no way to test it, but it turned out to work quite well. It sounded sort of clunky at first but after a cleaning and oiling it works great. It is a Centennial Edition, 1951 birth.

So now I have three, a two tone green repaint and a black one, and now the newest youngster. The first two are 1936 and 37, I think. I do think they are like potato chips, just an not have one. My husband is so funny. He actually watches for them on CL and other places. When I found the last one I told him that I really didn't need another but he insisted I call the guy. He seems to appreciate the craftsmanship and the simplicity. I love that I can work on them pretty much all by myself.

Plus most of all, they are just so dang cute!
Old 08-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Originally Posted by GreatStarter
I have that stupid red belt too. She runs great with it, but the belt color irritates me....LOL Silly I know.
Your new fw is now beautiful!!!!

Kat (east of you)
:D I kind of like my red belt - I put on a matching red felt pad for the thread spool and my "Baby" feels like she is lookin' good... :lol:
Do you know where I can get the red felt pad for the thread pad?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 PM

to judymay -- re: the red felt disc ---the FW i got from a sewing machine repair man has a new one on it. you might go to a sewing machine repair shop to find one, or a singer store if there is one near you.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by judyjudyjudy
to judymay -- re: the red felt disc ---the FW i got from a sewing machine repair man has a new one on it. you might go to a sewing machine repair shop to find one, or a singer store if there is one near you.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to JoAnn's tomorrow, I'll check with them, then I'll check my LQS. They have a repair man.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by judymay
I have that stupid red belt too. She runs great with it, but the belt color irritates me....LOL Silly I know.

Kat (east of you)
:D I kind of like my red belt - I put on a matching red felt pad for the thread spool and my "Baby" feels like she is lookin' good... :lol:
I purchase all my vintage parts from Guy Baker at:
www.sewingmachineparts.net
Very reputable, willing to talk to you on the phone also.
:thumbup:
Old 08-06-2011, 12:14 PM

Kat (east of you)
Thanks I'll check it out.
Judy
Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 AM

Kat (east of you)
I've seen them on eBay, also. It's good to have extras just in case one gets sucked up your vacuum hose...:roll:
Old 08-07-2011, 07:59 AM

Ruby is a beauty!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:20 AM

I just got back fron a quilt show. They had an extension bed for the featherweight. Check out their website www.sewverysmooth.com. I just ordered the tray and the guide. I hadn't seen the "bed" before.