Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop! >

August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

Old 08-12-2011, 01:47 AM

Good morning everyone. It's Friday!!!!! Gotta love those Fridays

Had a good day yesterday. Went with my quilt guild to view some quilts that were on display, visited a LQS that had expanded, then had lunch. Didn't get any "exercise" in unless you count walking around viewing over 60 quilts and visiting the quilt shop exercise. We did have a good time and my lunch was a salmon patty, green beans, broccoli and Mexican corn bread and lots of water. Overall, a good day.

Everyone have a wonderful and blessed day.

:)
Old 08-12-2011, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by JHolm
I love the quilt and I agree that a little more yellow would be nice. How do you get your quilts done so fast. Perhaps you'd like to come to WI and teach me how?

Well ladies I'm depressed. My walking buddy and good friend is moving out of town tomorrow. She is moving closer to where she goes for dialysis and I understand her need but I'm still sad. She will be living in the next town down the road so I can still see her sometimes. We are planning to meet every Thurs for brunch but I'm afraid that those plans might not work out.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers for my medical sisuation. Please keep up the good work.

I'm trying to get motivated to start walking again (by myself). The doc wants 30 min of exercise per day and swimming is questionable because with the hypoglycemia I get light headed and sometimes disoriented so they aren't so sure they want me in the water.

Well, I think I'll go work on my paper piecing. I'm getting good at pp the trees for my Seasons of Change quilt but I'm not sure I've learned the technique well enough to use in a different design. Anybody have any simple pp patterns. I want to make something small to practice the technique.

God Bless everyone. Have a great day and know my prayers are with you.
Well,your friend will be just down the rd a ways and not moving cross country,so that's good.you can still call every day,or email too of course.so you won't be with out her completely.I guess you could walk in a cool mall back and forth.Our walmart is so big,a couple laps around it,I'd be tired.And you have many friends here with all of us.I know it's not the same,but your still not alone in your trials,and struggles that we all have from time to time.I'm hoping they can get your medical things straightened out so at least you feel half way like a human again.It's not fun having psychological problems on top of your medical issues.Every time you get a bad depressing thought,go and do something to get your mind off and not dwell on it.I think if we feed those thoughts,they grow and become bigger.If we starve them,they pretty soon die out and leave,cause nothing it keeping it going.Kinda like a plant.If you water it,it grows,but you don't water it,it dries up and withers away and dies.Our thoughts work the same exact way.I guess it's like losing weight,we have to take care of the most urgent one first and get it fixed,then move on to the next one on the list.And work our way down.Till hopefully you get to the bottom of everything.And you may not be 100% now,but at least you can start to get feeling better.Which is always good.As for your thursday brunch,well I'd keep that open all the time for you to get out and do a little something.If something comes up,tell them no,I have plans on thursday,but any other free day would be fine.That way you don't have to worry,unless it's a medical appointment,about not going to your brunch with her.As far as the paper piecing,there is a lot on this forum about that that shows how to do it easy.Look it up in the tutatorials,or put paper piecing in the search box to get it.It's fun and easy to do.Most use the wonder under iron on,and just cut them out and iron them on and stitch around them,or not.Up to you.I always use freezer paper,no matter what,as it controls the material and makes it like a piece of paper,and you can cut it out really easy.Esp the harder cuts.I love paper piecing.We are all here for you,so may have had a friend move a ways down the rd,but we are always here and your making more friends every day,as we are too in this forum.That's why we like it so much is it's personal and we do learn a lot from one another,and about ourselves.So hang in there.we are with you,and will see you through and will keep you in our prayers.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:42 AM

I wanted to encourage everyone and share. For two days now my weight has been at my wedding weight--26.5 years ago. About five years ago, when both kids were headed to college, I decided it was time to lose the baby weight. I was 20 lbs heavier and not comfortable with that. I joined WW and lost 17 lbs in two months. A bit crept back on--about 5-7 lbs. I promised myself that in my 50s I would get it back to the 130s and never leave. I'm 51 now. I haven't seen the 140s since the end of June, and now I'm at 134.5. My goal is 132, but most importantly my goal is to never reach 140 again. Feels good.

I strongly suggest WW. I have pizza (I make it) and ice cream and even chocolate covered pretzels now and then. I eat out at Subway and have grilled veggie Panini sandwiched at another restaurant. I don't feel I've given anything up and even last night I was drinking a smoothie with a yogurt, two bananas, a cup of frozen blueberries, and a tbsp of peanut butter at 8:00 because I had more points to use.

I haven't been to a WW meeting for five years--but when I stick to their points, it works. My daughter-in-law has lost over 70 lbs so far. She attends meetings and is on-line. She is so happy and we are so proud of her. It took her three tries to be ready to stick to the plan. She and Justin have been married a year and she says she never wants to see her wedding weight again. :lol:

Think of weight loss as a gift to yourself. You're worth it.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:42 AM

wow! first to barnbum! i'm trying to get down to my wedding weight and then lower! i'd like to look scrawny for a little while. yay for you! good job!
jholm--you know we're only a finger touch away! one of us is on here nearly 24/7. and a pm would get you a phone number to call if you want a human voice to respond to. you will remain in my thoughts and prayers.
xylie--how are you doing? you haven't said a whole lot recently. are you and dh making it through the heat alright? it has been pretty comfortable here. of course, next week i will step into an inferno! can't wait for that blast of intense heat when i step out of the airport! it literally takes your breath away! i miss it! no, that is not a symptom of craziness, just homesick!
i am ready to give one of the baby quilts away. a dear friend's son will be a daddy in september and his son will be the recipient of my first completed quilt. i will take the other two for show and tell. i may even deliver them to the baby daddy that has the 2 little boys they were made for, one is born the other in the works. i still have not convinced myself i can quilt olivia's. my stitch in the ditch needs work! i have finished a doll quilt and mug rug for a swap.i did sort of abstract quilting on the dq. it was fun, easy, and i like the way it came out. i dared myself to do it! guess i need to get the camera out and take pictures before y'all yell at me to show you. lol
time for a little somthin' somethin' as pooh would say. i've nearly missed elevenes. i will be back. i am losing, etc.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-240507.jpe  
Old 08-12-2011, 09:22 AM
mim

Well I'm back to my highschool weight -- and I was fat then -- but it was a goal to reach. And I took up a notch in my watchband. Little "gains" -- losses -- are important
Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 AM

Keep on posting thosr precious pictures of Olivia Kate. ;-)
Old 08-12-2011, 11:10 AM

Nancia - what an adorable picture of little Olivia Kate!! She is just beautiful!!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM

It's been 115.We are in the heart of the heat,115 degrees and 60% dew points.Hot and muggy.I even burned a smidge,which I haven't done all summer cause we're in it every day some.We have to wait till 7 pm to go out side in the evenings.A couple days it was just too hot to even do that,so I napped on those days and caught up on my rest.I'm 8 pounds up.Don't know if it's water or what cause I am drinking more water so think that's it.I need to go on spirutien for awhile,it will take the water off and get me going again.I am a procastinater and put things off because I just can't get motivated in this heat to even leave the house. That is a cute picture of Olivia.She sure is a pretty baby.And of course she's not going to be spoiled or anything.LOL.Well,guess missy is just busy with her life.She should be back soon I'd think.I wonder how Irish rose is doing?Hope her break out is better.I think we'll all be glad when august is over and things start to cool off a bit.I know I will.All tho it's been a cooler summer than usual.Guess cause it went up north.I've seen it 124 in the shade.And by now we should be 118.Ok,I got to go check on my phone line,it isn't keeping online for some reason.I saw one of the lines pulled out of the box because hubby laid a board down on top and it pulled out.So,no big deal.So,chat with you later.Everybody have a good weekend.And keep with it lets get this weight off and keep going.I still got a ways to go yet and am freaked out about my stand still,I know it happends,and need to do something different.I think we worry we'll gain it all back,of which we don't,but can't help but fritter about it.I am losing weight,I am in control of what goes in my mouth........
Old 08-12-2011, 03:00 PM

Hi everyone been busy so not much time to sit and catch up on whats going on here. Nancia I love little Olivia she is sooo cute.
Xylie, I still remember those 125 days from my time in Bullhead Az. Don't miss it at all. It gets hot here but nothing like what you have it always cools down in the evening It's 101 today and no breeze so feels hotter than 100.
Been doing pretty well at keep on program but will know more tomorrow when I weigh in. But I will not give up, this is the rest of my life were talking about and I need to be healthy to enjoy it. DH is losing too, he has gone from 215 down to 191 over the past year. I am so proud of him. He really has done well.
I am keeping you all in my prayers each day to overcome and deal with all the stress in your lives.
God Bless you and sending a BIG Hug to all
Gail
Old 08-12-2011, 04:15 PM

big thank you to MJ for letting us know about the pedometers. I ordered one and it came yesterday. I wore it all day today . I probably won't hit the 10,000 steps today. unfortunately I sit most of the day at work. so far I am at 5639. Hope to hit at least 6000 before bed time. Tonight isn't one of my walking nights. Monday I walk while my GS practices for soccer. Can't wait to see how many steps then. I am going to try to fit some walking in this weekend.
Has anyone read clean eating magazine. I just picked one up at the grocery store. It has fabulous recipies and tips. They also have a lot of gluten free recipies.Found quite a few recipies for local produce.here is the website

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/