Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well? >

Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith
My DD and family bought a pitbull today. They have 3 kids ages 7-12 and I'm not sure what to think about it. They rescued the dog from a shelter. The original owner is in the military and was sent to Afghanistan, left the dog with his uncle, and the uncle is sick and can't take care of the dog.
My daughter says she is very good with the children, doesn't bark or jump on people when they come in the house, is lovable and cuddles, etc.
I know Rachel Ray has a pitbull and talks about how the dogs have gotten a bad rap but I still don't feel real comfortable about this.
Do you think I have reason to worry.
We had a pit bull and he was a loving protective 83 pound fellow. He was white w/brown eye, hense, his name was Petey. He lived 12 1/2 years, died w/cancer. I cried for two whole weeks because I had grown so attached to him. He never bit any one, was very protective of the g/kids, but loved for them to play with him. He thought he was still a puppy because he alway wanted to be held and loved on. We trained him to be a loving pet and he really was. When my husband was alive, those two were inseprable (sp). I had to get rid of hubby recliner because Petey would lay beside it and grieve. Your daughter and family will be fine. Just love their pet a lot and she will be fine. Mary
Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 AM

My Aunt raised pits and her son has always had them. My daughters has 2 pits and Naula just had 8 puppies ,they are so cute. Pits are very loving dogs.As with any breed you can get a bad one.My dog is a blue heeler most of them are very active ,high energy dogs not our Ky. He is a real couch potato,very layed back ,and he is afraid of the puppies OMG the puppies he runs and hide.Plus he has to have his boom boom shirt on during storms so he will stsy calm.It's a good thing I really really love him.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 AM

Our neighbor got a pit and it kept eating the wood privacy fence between us so it could bite our Malamutes. It finally got my big boys face. Was not pretty so we had to put up sheet metal between us & them over the privacy fence. The pit kept lunging trying to bite the sheet metal. One night DH heard a ruckus out front. He grabbed his pistol thinking someone was breaking into cars. No, it was the neighbors pit that had gotten loose & had our other neighbor pinned under his car. The dog was trying to get at the neightbor. When it saw my DH he came at him. DH tried backing up to the house, but the pit lunged at him almost knocking him backwards so he finally shot him. Police came and said we did everything possible to escape the dog due to sev neighbors witnessing the entire event. Hated it like all get out but.....an attacking pit needed to be put down. They did take him to the ER Vet and he did have to be put down. Now they have another one that acts the same way. Very same. I told her that if it got out, she best be on its heels trying to control it. I do think there are good pits. I guess the breeding would matter too. I am just very scared of them in general after the neighbors dogs. But I am also leery of some Rottweilers. Our DS had one that was just a big wuss.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:09 AM

My mother has a pitbul,that they found. She was a stray puppy. They don't live in the greatest of neighborhoods, and she is the sweetest, most loving dog I have ever known. And I have know A LOT of sweet dogs! Her whole body wiggles with happiness and love if you just look at her. If I didn't have a houseful of pets right now, I would own one in a heartbeat! I believe it's all in how they are raised as to how they act as adults. There are so many that are killed and abused because of their bad reputation, and they can be the most gentle creatures on earth. Care needs to be taken with ANY animal with children, whether dog, cat, bird, or whatever to insure well-being of the pet as well as the child. All animals are individuals, just like people, and not all are as mild mannered, but the majority are. I don't feel it's fair to label them based on their breed.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:13 AM

I'm with you Cheryl and there have always been dogs in our families. NO pit bulls. My DH was a law enforcement officer 25 years. You don't even want to hear some of his stories about pit bulls. Yes, ALL animals could bite, however, this breed is bred to latch on and not let go. Their jaws are like a workbench vice and not good on an adult, but they can kill a child and they do, frequently. We've had two German Shepards, one over 100 lbs., was never afraid of either.

A chihuahua can bite of course, but they don't tear off ears, gouge eyes,shred arms and legs, etc. Oh, and all of them are meek, mild mannered, quiet, until they snap. Many insurance companies nowadays will not issue homeowners insurance if they know you have a pit bull or pit bull mix.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 AM

I don't know much about pit bulls or any other dog breed for that matter. I once had a brindle colored mixed breed dog from the pound. I don't know what breed she was but everyone that saw her said Venus was a pit mix. Venus was a great dog. Now I have a large lab that was rescued from the pound. I wouldn't trust any dog alone with small children. As so many have said already any dog is capable of biting. Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM

It doesn't matter the breed. It is how they are bred, raised and trained. All animals can turn for one reason or another! Even we do when we're tired, etc.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM

It is not just pit bulls. Most dogs, under certain circumstances will act out. When I was little, my mother's dog (I disturbed him while he was napping and he was startled) bit clean through my upper lip (actually tore my lip in half). Thank god when I went to the hospital, a plastic surgeon was on duty and I do not even have a scar.

Pit Bulls are known for wanting to make the master happy. They will do anything for their owner. I am sure you have seen the Dog Whisperer... if the owners are nervous nellies, the dog will be too, etc. I really do think it is how the animal is raised. I have raised many many animals... not a one was ever vicious. Trust your daughter, and go and meet the dog for yourself.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM

I have had 2 shelter bullies of my own, and currently dogsit for one. I would adopt another one in a heartbeat, too. I've got young children, and have *never* had a problem with my dogs.

Not going to get on my pro-bully rant here, but suffice to say, every dog, regardless of breed, needs to be taken on a dog-by-dog basis. Making broad assumptions about any breed is just plain stupid (I personally have had more issues with chihuahuas than any other breed).
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 AM
crt

Originally Posted by Needles
Many insurance companies nowadays will not issue homeowners insurance if they know you have a pit bull or pit bull mix.
Very good point, and factual.