Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)? >
  • What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)?

• What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Ding, ding, ding. The bell rang in my head, too. How simple! And I was trying to make it so hard. Thank you everybody!!
    Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 AM

i noticed that you have a lot of hexes with the same fabric grouped together. I think they should be scattered to create more interest. Just a suggestion.
    Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 AM

This post is so good! I've had my OBW fabric sitting there, staring at me, for several weeks. I haven't cut into it yet because I could not understand how I was going to sew all those "whole" octagons/hexagons together. - Thanks for giving an "AHA" moment to many of us.
    Old 04-07-2011, 07:55 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Joyce29
    This post is so good! I've had my OBW fabric sitting there, staring at me, for several weeks. I haven't cut into it yet because I could not understand how I was going to sew all those "whole" octagons/hexagons together. - Thanks for giving an "AHA" moment to many of us.
    I've been more worried about stacking and then cutting it wrong. Can't wait til the 15th for my course!
    Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
    Originally Posted by saf
    AHA!! - EUREKA!! - SHAZAAM!! - BINGO!! I dwaddled around out at the kennels, hoping that one of these comments would click when I returned and reread. Trapezoids from RebeccaVLQ gave me a mental picture, amma's pic of her OBW let me see what I needed to see and then dunster put the cap on it. It turns out that my main problem was that I had laid out the hexes without regard to where the pinned centers were facing ...... some were right and most were wrong. Every one of you helped me and I'm forever grateful. This board is fantastic ----- I belong to a few forums covering several different subjects and none of them would have gotton me out of this jam so quickly and so well. Thank you, thank you, thank you ...........!!!
    Out of interest - are the dog kennels nice and clean? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Yes, but you know this is an on-going chore - they get done morning, noon and evening. Not what you would call a fun thing, but it keeps me moving and reasonably agile ............

:XD:
    So glad you are on a roll with the OBW now. But I have to ask! How many dogs and what kind?!
    Old 04-07-2011, 08:18 AM

Ok I think I have the how to lay out and the sew and I have some fabric but what and how do you start to cut it out
    Old 04-07-2011, 08:24 AM

Does this help? This is my quilting challenge for the quilting group I'm with. Not a typical OBW but the concept it the same. I thought I'd be slick and sew the hexs together then join....oops....not going to work so I had to ripe out the center seam and lay out like I should have in the first place. Good luck!!! PM me if you need to talk this through, I'll help as much as a newbie in OBW can. Helen

half of it is sewn together, working on strips and then add to remaining unit
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]180834[/ATTACH]

close up of main unit the next strip and 1/2 hexs that have to be sewn together to create strip
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]180835[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-180826.jpe   attachment-180828.jpe   attachment-180829.jpe  
    Old 04-07-2011, 08:24 AM

I have read the book and read CuteBuns' tute 'til I'm blue in the face and I STILL can't figure out how to sew this OBW together. Is there anyone out there who can help me here? I'm a visual person - I guess just reading the instructions isn't penatrating
    You sew three triangles together to make a half/hex (HH). Sew the other three triangles together to make another HH. Do not sew the two HH together, you can either tape them together with scotch tape or pin to make a full hex (FH). Put the FH on your design board. Keep making these units until you have all your HH made and pinned or taped. Now arrange them on your design wall with the taped/pinned unsewn seam running up and down on all blocks. When you have them arranged the way you like them best, take the tape/pins off/out and sew the rows together from top to bottom. Then sew the rows together from side to side.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-180824.jpe  
    Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
    it looks like you sewed thw whole hex together, you don't do that, only 1/2 the sew 1/2 of the next one onto the end, so you have a long row of halves, then when you make the next row of halves, you sew the two rows togwther, that makes the block complete
    Ahh I am so glad I read this now. It makes perfect sense and I haven't started mine yet. :-) Now if I can just remember this when I do get around to doing it.
    Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by amma
    Here is a close up of my OBW

See how each individual hexagon unit is off set? They do not line up in a row, they kind of zig zag.

I hope this helps :D
    WOW !!! For some reason of the many OBW quilts pictures I have looked at and still could not understand the process of connecting the pieces, this particular picture that you posted amma, finally turned on the "Got it" light.

Oh Suzi, I understand oh so well the frustration of trying to figure this problem out. I too am visual but, now that I see it, all the wordy responses make total sense.

I am humbled by the wisdom that is expressed on this board and the fact that everyone is so willing to help. Thanks to all!