Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)? >

What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)?

What am I missing (or am I really that dumb)?

Old 04-07-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Here is a close up of my OBW

See how each individual hexagon unit is off set? They do not line up in a row, they kind of zig zag.

I hope this helps :D
I don't know about the original questioner, but I finally got it with your picture. Before that it sounded like they were talking in circles. I must be visual too.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:37 PM

Thanks, AMMA. Looking at your picture I finally see how they are set together. Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

Amma is good. You will be sewing rows together not six sided blocks
Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

And you are not dumb. WE learn things a little at a time and you haven't run across this method yet. Your mind was trying to put into some method you already knew or saw the six sided and was trying to put them together. We learn, but we learn in different ways. You definitely are not dumb
Old 04-07-2011, 06:19 PM

This all sounds like an alien language to me. Worse than Greek. Maybe Martian. I am glad I am not trying to put this together.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
AHA!! - EUREKA!! - SHAZAAM!! - BINGO!! I dwaddled around out at the kennels, hoping that one of these comments would click when I returned and reread. Trapezoids from RebeccaVLQ gave me a mental picture, amma's pic of her OBW let me see what I needed to see and then dunster put the cap on it. It turns out that my main problem was that I had laid out the hexes without regard to where the pinned centers were facing ...... some were right and most were wrong. Every one of you helped me and I'm forever grateful. This board is fantastic ----- I belong to a few forums covering several different subjects and none of them would have gotton me out of this jam so quickly and so well. Thank you, thank you, thank you ...........!!!
This is why I LOVE this board. EVERYONE is so kind in helping. No question is a dumb question if you do not know the answer. I learn so much by just reading.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by amma
You sew half hexagons, 3 pieces together. Lay them out as a whole block on a design wall, bed, floor, etc...

Sew 2 more halves together and place them next to the first one. You need to place the second one upside down to get the sides to match up.

Keep going until all of the blocks are sewn and switch the blocks around til you are happy with how they look.

Once you are happy with the layout, then you will sew the halves into strips vertically, and then all of the strips together :D:D:D
Suzi and Amma...I love you both! Suzi for asking the question and Amma for writing such a clear explanation! I was torturing myself sewing each seam together separately until I was almost finished and I began squaring up the piece. All of a sudden....voila! The "sew three pieces together etc" hit me! Where have you both been while I was struggling??????? THANK YOU BOTH!!!! SIGH............................
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 PM

I had to read the book on the pages where you put the halfs in rows before I understood. Your blocks are very pretty. You will get there!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 PM

Thanks so much for all of the help on this thread, i am still working with the hexagons and am almost done and read for my daughter to sort by color and then I be ready to sew halfs together. Suzanne
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Joyce29
LQS .... why don't you come?
(yes, a tad long of a commute! :))
LOL. Thanks for the invite (I've been known to do some crazy things - but my free flying priveleges don't take me to Canada

:)[/quote]

Now wouldn't that be something if you could organize it! Take a look for Waterloo Airport in Kitchener, Ontario... it's very very close to the LQS. I would gladly pick you up!