Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one >

Am I the only one

Am I the only one

Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 AM

I'm like you and yes, I do believe we are old souls ;-)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:58 AM

I guess I'm an old soul too because I love the old patterns. I make some of the new ones, like the new colors and combinations, even make an art quilt now and them, do love bargello, but always have to go back and make a basic anvil or some other old pattern too.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 AM

I love everything but tend to stay with the golden oldies. But I sometimes do them in very modern colors and patterns.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM

I love the traditional patterns mostly, and yet am a big fan of Yellow Brick Road pattern! I can appreciate the work that goes into landscape quilts, portrait quilts, and the like but a lot of the "fiber art" stuff just leaves me cold, like overembellished work. I have seen some stunning machine embroidery quilts, but admittedly they've been few and far between.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:12 AM

I have to agree with you. I tend to find many of the newer quilts looking all alike. I'm old-fashioned and love vintage and antique things. I think many of the newer fabrics aren't as attractive as the older ones, so the quilts made from them aren't as pleasing. I've always wondered what makes something that is beautiful to me seem downright ugly to another. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:33 AM

I approach a quilt the same way I decorate my house. I want someone to come in and feel comfortable. Don't ask me if you should take your shoes off (you're not going to hurt the hardwood floor)Don't wonder if it's okay to sit down on the furniture in the living room, that's what it's there for. :)

If I give you a quilt, I want you to curl up on the sofa watching a movie and spill popcorn on it, accidentally drip ice cream on it. Use it to make a fort with the sofa cushions. Curl up with it when you're sick. Use it on your bed and let your dogs sleep with you.

Whether the quilt is LQS fabric, Joann's, Hancock, old shirts from your father, or old jeans. :)

I would be delighted to see a quilt I gave someone 50 years later and it's completely worn out. (I know some of you are gasping right now :P )

Many of the quilts I have packed away have seen better days. Ripped, worn, and can no longer be used. But each one of them floods me with wonderful childhood memories, and that is the thing that makes them priceless to me.

Now I plan on taking them cutting them up and working them into a new quilt with new fabrics as well. Allowing me to remember the past, but also make future memories with them. :)

I know I've gotten a little off topic, but my point being I want a quilt people will use and is comfy. So many of the new quilts that are more like works of art just isn't something I would make. And while I completely RESPECT all the work and creativity that goes into making one, some of them are just too beautiful to curl up with and use.

It's a lot like music, I love ALL types except opera and rap. Not that I don't respect both, but it's not my cup of tea....or I should say diet pepsi :P
Old 04-12-2011, 10:56 AM

I love the old patterns.... I just like to spice them up a bit using bright colors.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:28 AM

I'm with you sister! i just love the old fashion quilts my Grandma and Great Grandma used to make. I still have a couple of their quilts that I cherish dearly.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:23 PM

If you aren't familiar with Hearthside Quilts, you should be....precut kits at good prices and all calicos everywhere!

www.hearthsidequilts.com
Old 04-12-2011, 01:32 PM

I also love the older quilt patterns and quilts. I am amazed at all the "art" quilts and fancy quilts. I am not talented enough to make those. I have over 2 dozen quilts my husband's grandmother made and gave us when we were married in 1969. Some of them she had made in the 40's and 50's. I use them and mend them from time to time.

I think in my other life I sat at a fireplace in a log cabin and quilted.