Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I doing wrong? >

What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:02 AM

this was happening to my brother while using my machine and the thread was working loose from the take-up arm then it was working loose from the bobbin catch It was exasperating was actually seeing RED After changing thread in top and bottom the problem was solved when I went to throw the offending spool away I noticed he had put a spool of Hand Quilting thread in the bobbin and top So now he knows which thread drawer to stay out of
Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 AM

Rethread your machine. Cut your top thread at the very top of your machine and pull the cut thread from the bottom so that it will drag any lint out of the machine with it. Make sure your pressure foot is UP. Now thread your machine. You can lower the presser foot to thread the needle. When you start quilting be sure to hold the end of the top thread between your fingers tightly. Hope this works; it usually works for me.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

I was assuming you were pulling the bobbin thread to the top before starting to quilt. That is standard operating procedure for most quilters. Typically you then hold both threads for the first few stitches so they don't get tangled and create a thread nest. (Some machines are supposed to be non-jamming, so maybe this doesn't apply to them. I'm too old to change my ways, though, I think.)

I do think it's a good idea to fill bobbins at half speed, at least for most machines.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:31 AM

Check to make sure your bobbin is threaded and inserted correctly. Check your top tension, is it too loose? Also, (this happened to me just yesterday) make sure the presser foot is down before you start sewing. All of these things will cause the thread mess underneath.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:36 AM

Bring your bobbin thread up from the bottom before you start to sew. That way you can hold onto it as you start to sew and no more nests.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
I get so frustrated with machine quilting.

At the moment I am "trying" to machine quilt a twin sized quilt for my son. I have three more UFOs that are all stalled because of the machine quilting.

The one I am working on at the moment is a blue and white eight point star alternating with a red and white nine patch for a nautical themed room. The backing is a dark to medium blue bumpy minke. I sew with a Husquevarna 425 Fresia so there is no bobbin tension for me to adjust. It was very recently sent to get cleaned and adjusted and hasn't really been sewn with since I have been doing hand applique latey.

The biggest problem (if you have gotten through all that) that I am currently having is getting "nests" of the top thread on the back. I am quilting staight lines currently so am using the walking foot. I get a similar problem when free motion quilting but suspect that in that case I am just moving the quilt too fast. Also, I seem to get the problem almost exclusively in the last third of the bobbin.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? I don't like to waste a third of a bobbin every time.

TIA
Tara
A thread nest on the bottom means you have a problem on the top. Rethread the machine making sure the presser foot is in the up position. Be sure thread slides into the tension disks when threading. You can check this by threading the machine but not the needle, put the foot down and pull gently on thread just above the needle. If it pulls through your thread is not in the tension guides or your TOP tension is set too low.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 AM

If you already are using a quilting size needle, the problem could be the size of the bobbin. A friend had given me bobbins to use in my Pfaff machine which looked the same as what I had. However,they didn't work properly..you should be able to freely pull out the bobbin thread whenever it is in the machine. The "offsize" bobbins would catch and cause nests. Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:02 AM

good luck happens to me too thanks for asking and all the tips
Old 05-10-2011, 12:48 PM

I have a Husquavarna Sapphire 870 and had problems when using fleece for a backing. I found that I had to switch my fabric selection from woven to stretch and used a sz 14 strretch needle and all worked great. Try those changes. Hope you have better luck!!
KathyKat
Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
I get so frustrated with machine quilting.

At the moment I am "trying" to machine quilt a twin sized quilt for my son. I have three more UFOs that are all stalled because of the machine quilting.

The one I am working on at the moment is a blue and white eight point star alternating with a red and white nine patch for a nautical themed room. The backing is a dark to medium blue bumpy minke. I sew with a Husquevarna 425 Fresia so there is no bobbin tension for me to adjust. It was very recently sent to get cleaned and adjusted and hasn't really been sewn with since I have been doing hand applique latey.

The biggest problem (if you have gotten through all that) that I am currently having is getting "nests" of the top thread on the back. I am quilting staight lines currently so am using the walking foot. I get a similar problem when free motion quilting but suspect that in that case I am just moving the quilt too fast. Also, I seem to get the problem almost exclusively in the last third of the bobbin.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? I don't like to waste a third of a bobbin every time.

TIA
Tara
Old 05-10-2011, 01:57 PM

,,,,,, the bobbin from "whipping" the thread around, something that can cause a bird's nest.......

Sometimes the thread whips around when the bobbin is inserted backwards. The thread either goes off to the right or to the left when inserted into the bobbin case. It makes a difference.