Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you choose coordinating fabrics? >

How do you choose coordinating fabrics?

How do you choose coordinating fabrics?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kappy
I think I have the tone and color part down, what I have problems with is the size of the prints, when to use big and little..that sort of thing.
Tone on tone prints work, batiks, small prints that coordindate, even plaids or geometrics as long as the colors are similiar.

Big prints can sometimes work, they can be fussy cut, or if the colors blend, can be used as is. That will give you a scrappy look, due to the fabric will change with every cut.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Most times I have the ladies at the quilt shop help me.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 AM

I teach a Learn to Quilt series at my LQS, and I suggest to new quilters that they use the dye swatches on the selvage of their focus fabric to help select colors. Another thing to try is buying from the same collection as your focus fabric, and/or using jelly rolls, layer cakes, FQ bundles, etc. When I was a new quilter I tried to buy from the same collection, but over time I have come to feel that buying only from that collection can be, for me, a little limiting. I prefer to select a variety of other fabrics that mix in well to prevent my quilt from looking like a kit from a fabric company.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:45 AM

Pick up a color wheel at a local art supply store. It will become your best helper when choosing coordinating colors.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:17 AM

Thnx for wonderful information...
Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 AM

I chose a bunch of fabrics that might work, then I back off from them and squint. Usually you can tell right away which fabrics do not go with the focus fabric. I almost always add a zinger fabric, just to bring the eye to the quilt. A touch or red, yellow, purple or blue will usually do it. Even a spot of silver or gold in small quanity\ies works as well. Jan
Old 05-13-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi
I teach a Learn to Quilt series at my LQS, and I suggest to new quilters that they use the dye swatches on the selvage of their focus fabric to help select colors. Another thing to try is buying from the same collection as your focus fabric, and/or using jelly rolls, layer cakes, FQ bundles, etc. When I was a new quilter I tried to buy from the same collection, but over time I have come to feel that buying only from that collection can be, for me, a little limiting. I prefer to select a variety of other fabrics that mix in well to prevent my quilt from looking like a kit from a fabric company.
I so agree with this statement. I seldom buy from the same fabric line. Jan
Old 05-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Lisa I just sent a tip into Marcus Bros about this. I was in walmart the other day looking at the paint color cards to pick out some paint to re-do my bathroom. When a light went on in my head...each of those paint cards has a graduated set of colors that match. Pick the color value you want and take the paint card to the fabric dept and pick out colors from each of the shades on the card. They will blend perfectly. Each card usually has 4 different colors on them. If you want more colors in your quilt just take the next card in line of that color family.
Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

Originally Posted by Lisas
I have a hard time choosing fabrics for quilts. I'm worried that once I put a quilt together it's going to be terrible looking. I've been looking at fabrics that coordinate in a line so that I know they match. How do you go about choosing coordinating fabrics?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Honestly, I lay them out on my cutting table (which is large). I can see my table every time I pass the room. Sometimes I'll look at them for a few days in different lights until I'm happy.
This is a great idea! I also have problems putting fabrics together...am going to try this.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:47 AM

I pull out way more fabrics from my stash (number 1 reason for having a good size stash) than I need for the pattern. Then I line them up on the sofa or table that can be seen from a distance. Keep looking at them for hours or sometimes days and pull out the ones I don't like until I end up with the right number and colors I like. Distance is the key!

mountainmammo