Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you choose coordinating fabrics? >

How do you choose coordinating fabrics?

How do you choose coordinating fabrics?

Old 05-13-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lisas
I have a hard time choosing fabrics for quilts. I'm worried that once I put a quilt together it's going to be terrible looking. I've been looking at fabrics that coordinate in a line so that I know they match. How do you go about choosing coordinating fabrics?
I Always follow the Line :oops: I'm such and Organized Quilter it just kills me if it does not match!! I'm so envious that people make beautiful scrappy quilts and it's like Chalk on a Blackboard for me...
Old 05-13-2011, 05:38 AM

If you run these through a copy machine, I think you will find you have four mediums and 2 lights. Color does not show up as well as actual intensity.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 AM

It's hard to mess up when you only pick three colors! LOL! I am the worst at color selection, so for my personal quilts I use red and tow other colors- always!! Most of the time it is red, yellow and white, or natural ! I know zero color sense, right?
Old 05-13-2011, 05:42 AM

since I am not into using collections, I just use what looks good to me. I have a good sense of what goes together so I trust those instincts. I like some order to my quilts.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:03 AM

I usally take my hubby along because he is much better at choosing colors than I am,but I can do it myself but am always more confident when he helps me.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I found this site a while back and its sooo much fun playing with the different colors.

http://colorschemedesigner.com/
Oh, this site is wonderful!! Thank you!!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 AM

Diana
wow this is cooooool. Thanks for sharing
peggy
Old 05-13-2011, 06:39 AM

Diana
I found the scheme I wanted with the color chart you posted, but when I went to print it out to take with me to the fabric store it wouldn't let me print it or do copy/paste in word, nothing. How can you print your color scheme?
peggy
Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 AM

I take a long to the store a small kaliscope this helps me
Old 05-13-2011, 06:54 AM

I choose a focus fabric and pull from my stash before I buy more fabric. I love selvages, but honestly don't look at them when I'm choosing fabrics. I tend to have a lot of movement in my quilts, whether that's from the prints in the fabrics, the project pattern, or a combination of both. I don't think there's an exact science to it.

Maybe it would be easier to do some small combinations from your stash to get a feel for the playfulness of choosing before committing to a whole project. You could always do a sample from fat eighths or fat quarters before spending the money on yardage. After you do a block, let it sit for a couple of days as others have suggested to see if you'd like to change anything. Many quilters find their projects develop over time, that they are tweaked from the original plan.

We all have projects we loved at one point but didn't quite turn out the way we'd expected or we outgrew. Choose fabrics you love and have fun. If you are becoming frustrated, look up the color wheel online or head to the paint department at one of the home improvement stores. You can look at solids together without the distraction of prints.

Also, I assign a color based on the overall look. Sometimes people get lost in the various colors within the print. If it is overwhelmingly yellow, I call it yellow despite the fact that it also has blue, orange, and black on it. I may consider some of the other colors from the focus fabric, but only if I want to accentuate them.