Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Age" Related Slump >

"Age" Related Slump

"Age" Related Slump

Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 AM

My MIL is 80 she belongs to 2 church groups that get together -on Tues and Thurs-1 group does charity quilts and the other one they bring in their own projects She has a good time at both and it keeps her inspired and active She read that if you keep your mind busy that you won't become an Alls-hiemer Being a Half-hiemers is as far as she wants to go :D These ladies are all 80+ the oldest is 97 and she threads her own needles I use a magnifying glass and I'm only 55
Old 05-23-2011, 03:39 AM

I am grateful to Marcy J for asking the question because I can empathise with this lady. I think many of us go through a bout of age depression at times. It is helpful to know that we are not alone and it is forums like this that encourage us to put things in perspective. Age is irrelevant. Quilting is not just about creativity, it is also therapeutic and keeps our minds alert. If we give up our hobbies and the things that give us pleasure we are giving up on life and I have come to this conclusion after reading the responses on here, so thank you everyone.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:48 AM

Quilting can be lonely, I can get a boost by cleaning and organizing my stash. Just to touch the beautiful fabric. I just recently bought a different cabinet to keep my fabric in. It was fun to reorganize.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:58 AM

I am 76, and just purchased a midarm Bailey Home Quilter machine. My mom lived to be 92. I don't think of age. Just do it. Get busy.
Mary
Old 05-23-2011, 04:02 AM

I believe that each day is special and that I should live that day to its fullest. So keep on quilting! Who knows how long any of us have left to live????

However, I would suggest that in your personal papers (ie will, POA, etc...) that you leave instructions for your heirs as to how you want the leftovers (yes I call them leftovers) distributed. Family members who quilt, Guilds, a quilting friend, church quilters, Project Linus....

Now go to your stash and make a quick, lovely project- Hopefully that will inspire you to do some great things.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:08 AM

I just turned 74 and have only quilted for 5 years. I have a lot of fabric (half of which was given to me) but I have so many projects I want to do that I cannot think of going anywhere! Both my parents lived to 95 so I have 20 more years of happy sewing and quilting ahead. One must think positive and my family is looking forward to receiving any quilt I make them. Keep your mind open and try different projects to keep those juices flowing - right now I have made a few bags and am now working on mug rugs for Christmas gifts that my daughter asked me to do. Then I will go back to bed quilts. Variety is the spice of life so just go for it and enjoy each step of the journey.
:thumbup:
Old 05-23-2011, 04:09 AM

My mother is 91 and still works a job, bailif in a court, loves it. She still gardens mowes the lawn. Crochets, reads bakes etc. those things are to her what quilting is to us. Its what keeps her going. GET out of the house if you can and go to lunch with a friend take a break and things will look better. If you were near me I visit. Have no one who quilts. Take care DEB
Old 05-23-2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
What if you live until you're 90 or more? That is almost 20 years!! Live for today and enjoy your quilting!
That's right! My parents are in their 80s and still travelling cross country, going to the gym, etc. etc. You have many more quilts in you than you think!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 AM

Hang in there and keep sewing! I'm 67 - I have lots of projects in my mind and in boxes in my sewing room! Now that I'm retired I finally have time for the things I want to do. My parents are both in fairly good health at 92 and 98 so I'm hoping to have 20+ more years to enjoy life. You may be moving a bit slower and need a nap now and then (I know I do) but keep on doing what you enjoy.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 AM

I can identify with Marcy as I am 70+ and the oldest female in my family. Life is indeed getting very short. However it is way too short to not get busy and try to accomplish the important things I had planned on doing in my life. I had planned on being very educated, humorous, and leaving several handmade heirlooms to my children, while setting a great example of a compassionate loving woman. I think now most of my examples are of what not to do. I had wanted to be an effective Bible school teacher. I try to laugh a lot and pass on humor to others; I try to learn or relaearn something every day; I study my Bible in depth and teach when the chance occurs although ill health made me give up my class. I am working on the heirloom items: quilting and paintings. Time has been a thief and I don't have any time left to waste. If I am to finally become the woman I want to be I have to really work at it now. I don't have time to squander being bitchy or lazy or in a bad mood. I've already spent enough time in the years past doing that - now my time needs to be spent doing things that are productive. How will my children remember me? How will God greet me? I've got to keep my priorities straight because I have a lot less time than I did 5 years ago. And time is going by so FAST and I get so TIRED with so much LESS done each day. I'm truly sorry for the time I wasted when I was young and thought I was immortal and old age was so far in the future. I need to pray more - so much of me needs to improve - so let me wind up this discourse with one more sentence. When we are older we need to ration our time. It becomes as precious as water in the desert and should not to be wasted. So don't quit, don't give up. You don't have enough time for either one of those things.