Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding, binding,binding >

binding, binding,binding

binding, binding,binding

Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM

I love to bind it's like the finished project then I hand sew that's relaxing cause I crossstitch to.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
I don't mind binding, but sandwiching the quilt is another story! Doesn't matter now much I pin and pin and pin, by the time I start stitching in the ditch, everything shifts. I have much better luck sandwiching small projects like table runners or wall hangings.

Good luck with binding. The good news is that it's the last thing you do so you know you're almost done!
Hello Scrappy,
I am not very expereinced but I have used the Sharon Schamber's method of basting on 2 different projects and NOTHING HAS SHIFTED...it s amazing...go to you tube and check it out...
Old 06-22-2011, 03:17 PM

You will gain confidence with each binding...keep practicing :)
Old 06-22-2011, 04:56 PM

JoANn, Do you belong to any kind of group? If you do, I'll bet the ladies that binding does not intimidate would be glad to help you. I used to dread it like you do. One person sat down with me, showed me the easy way, and now I love to bind my quilts. Its that final step that says "I did this myself" If there is noone near, look through the tutorials here. Bet you can find the one that will make it click
Old 06-22-2011, 05:23 PM

I found it easier to machine sew it to the back side then hand stitch it to the front while listening to the TV.It takes less time this way and I don't have to rip it out a 1/2 dozen times And once I'm done I have 3/4 wide binding all the way around I hate to hand sew but a queen only takes 45-60 minutes- with commercial breaks
Old 06-22-2011, 05:52 PM

I am also a fan of The Binding Tool. It has taken away the dread of connecting the ends for me.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 PM

I don't particularly like to do binding either, but I have found that I would rather cut my binding on the bias. For me it seems to go on better. Many quilters use the straight bindings but for me bias is the way to go.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:29 PM

I find doing the binding relaxing and exciting as I know it's going to be completed. I do the ladder stitch which does not require clips or pins and the stitches are invisible.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:31 PM

I think you said it, practice will make it better after time, along with watching any tutorial and vidios that come up on the subject. It will become second nature after a while.
Good Luck!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
oh how I hate doing binding. I think its just because I really dont know how to do it and I dont like doing things that are alien to me that could ruin my project.
Is it just something I need to keep practicing till Im comfortable with it? I did do a binding on a wall quilt and a twin bed quilt. It was hell. LOL
it has been a long time since Ive finished a project to have to do it again and I feel like Ive never done one. I wanted to turn some blocks that I mistakenly cut off my 1/4" seam allowance into mug rugs. figured I would put a nice binding on it. sigh. Is there any hope for me? I wish there was someone local that could help me and give me lessons. just venting. JoAnn
JoAnn, I am totally with you on this one. I HATE binding, but I can do it, just don't like to do it. I have found a gal in my area who will do binding - she did two flannel quilts for a friend of mine and refused payment (she did receive a very nice gift card)