Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how did you learn to quilt?  also, beginner machines. >

how did you learn to quilt? also, beginner machines.

how did you learn to quilt? also, beginner machines.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:38 AM

Hi and welcome from Long Island, NY. I am basically a self-taught quilter with help from library books and now from all the amazingly talented folks right here. This is a good place to start. Don't be afraid to ask any questions, even if you think it seems 'trivial'. Your new friends here will be the best source of encouragement and information. Welcome to your new addiction!!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 AM

Welcome from Florida! I started quilting only three years ago. My DMIL has made some awesome quilts and she was quite willing to help me learn. Unfortunately, she died only five months after I had started quilting. She had introduced me to a guild and I learned a lot there. After she died, I continued at that guild until I found one that was closer. I have also taken clases from various local people and nationally known quilters like Carol Doak. I looked at the page you referenced when asking about the 1/4" foot. Follow the page on down and the foot we're talking about is on the right hand side near the bottom. If you have any questions, I would welcome the opportunity to answer them. You can PM me (Private Message) by clicking on my name. I look forward to seeing pictures of some of those quilts before they go in the linen closet! We love to share pictures on this board!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:51 AM

I took a quilting class at my local quilt shop.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 AM

Welcome, I am new also and the information on this site is awesome. I just don't know when to get off.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 AM

I don't know where you are located at but most places have LQS that offer beginning quilt classes. I had learned to sew in home ec but then later when I wanted to learn how to do more than large blocks sewen together to make quilts I took classes. I still take classes and I'm always learning more things that make my life easier in the quilting arena. Your machine will depend on what you want to quilt. If you want to do large quilts get something with a 9in or above throat (if you are quilting as well as piecing it) and make sure you have a walking foot for quilting. If you thinking of getting a basic machine to begin with then there are alot of options. I'd still look at local quilt stores first since you are a beginner so that they can show you how to use the machine and answer any questions.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:02 AM

First of all, Welcome to the board and welcome to the wonderful world of quilting! Since you are very new to all this, my first bit of advise is this... Hand pieced and hand quilted quilts are nice but they are NOT the only correct way to make a quilt. Quilters have been using the sewing machine since the 1800's to piece quilts. They did handquilt most of them but if they had had the machines that are available to us, they WOULD have machine quilted too. Don't get me wrong, I've hand pieced and I've hand quilted (still DO) but that doesn't mean that it's the only correct way to quilt. Next, if at all possible, take a beginner class. You will learn the basics with hands-on, one on one help from an expert. Once you learn the basics, you can flap your quilted wings and fly. This board is a wonderful tool, but I really recommend a beginner class. It's well worth the cost and the time and will save you lots of un-necessary frustration that could discourage you as you start your new interest. Good Luck! You are among friends!!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:06 AM

Watch as many Quilt In A Day videos you can. Eleanor Burns is by far the best quilting teacher.
She has videos on her web site and on
http://quiltinaday.com
http://quilterstv.com
Buy a cheap Brother quilting machine. They come with a walking foot and a table. It will be a great backup machine when you graduate to a computerized machine. Mine was $129 at Tuesday Morning five years ago.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:09 AM

Welcome to the board. I have always sewn and wanted to make quilts forever but life got in the way. I already understood the basic concept. But, when I moved here I was invited to a County Extension Homemakers Club meeting and then the work day. They make charity quilts among lots of other volunteer work. I helped lay out quilt designs and piece a couple quilts and life no longer gets in my way. I just needed a start and they gave me one. I now am the president of the club and I long arm the charity quilts. You may have a quilting guild near you.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:24 AM

Hi, I am a newbie too. I just jumped in and never have looked back. Love colors and fabrics. I've started painting on muslin and and using that in my quilt blocks. recently held a baby shower and had everyone personalize a sq. Later applicated each sq. to a diff. colored fabric. Turned out great.

Best secrets: cut accurately, sew accurately, PRESS fabric so you do not stretch it... then let your creative juices flow!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by kristelwyman
hello!

i am looking for a good sewing machine i can use for quilts (the only thing i'm really interested in sewing, at this point). any suggestions?
IMHO, find a vintage machine. They don't have all the bells and whistles, but do a wonderful straight stitch and are easy to service if something happens. You can find these at second hand stores, garage sales and auctions. (Avoid the antique stores! the machines get way over-priced.) You might ask a local sewing machine repair person about machines that are rarely in for repairs.

Hope you find one you like!