Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on these fancy computerized machines >

Question on these fancy computerized machines

Question on these fancy computerized machines

Old 08-04-2011, 07:12 AM

The only time a power surge wiped out any of my electric or computerized equipment was when the power company generated a surge down our lines during a switch over. Then I lost everything, but the law says the power company is not responsible for loss or damage. Lightning has never damaged any of my equipment so I don't worry about it. I know there can always be a first time, but the only time I stop sewing in a storm is if the power goes out.

My machines are on surge protectors.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:14 AM

Protect that machine. Unplug all electronic devices whan a thunderstorm is going on! My surge protector is really a battery backup box. I also have one on my printers and laptop and one on my TV and the boxes that are connected to it. Like my DVR & DVD. I brought my battery backup/surge protector at BestBuy. You don't need a real expensive one.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Linda71
My machine came with instructions to unplug after use so that is what I do.
so did mine
Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 AM

I have the machine plugged into a surge protector and always turn the surge protector off when I'm done sewing for the day. But do leave it plugged into the wall.

If I'm going to be on vacation I unplug everything in the house practically.

But after reading all these power events, I may start unplugging my machine also. Just have to get into the habit.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:53 AM

use surge protector from wall pluged into another surge protector(computer grade) to plug in machine and be sure to turn off if not using. The other thing is magnets, do not have anything magnitized near machine this includes pins that have been in a magnitized holder. and if you live near an airport like i do and the planes come low to land from reverse direction if the weather is windy. Turn off your machine !!!!! Plane came over my house and fried the mother board when it contacted the tower. Fortunately BERNINA U.S.A. was able to fix it.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 AM

Hee hee, me too! My kids and I used to sit out on a porch swing during storms and get blown around and wet while watching the lightning. Probably not the brightest thing to do. My kids all still love storms.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 AM

yes i was sewing when it happened had eight inches to go on a decorative stitch quilting of a baby quilt for Guild charity quilt.
oh, and the plane landed safely, thank the Lord !
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Katy
Hate to say it but it never even occured to me to unplug. I use a surge protector because was told to as my beloved Janome is computerized but I probably deal with less thunderstorms in so cal too. When I think of considerations for computerized machines I think of no magnets (how do they use that new magnetized hoop I wonder!) and quality of thread. Cheap cotton frays more and more lint is not good. As for the serger part I am clueless. I inherited a Babylock evolve and a giant cardboard box of serger thread I have yet to use. What does a dedicated quilter do with a serger?
serge before binding baby quilts it helps the "life" of the much loved and washed quilt.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 AM

UNPLUG...... I've seen sparks fly out of the wall about a foot. I unplug everything now.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 AM

Unplug every electric appliance during a storm (maybe not the fridge or freezer depending on the storm warning). If you do have to unplug the fridge or freezer don't open them and the contents will be safe for 24 hrs. Escecially unplug computerized appliances, it would take little to "snark" them out.

I have good surge protectors for both PCs in the house, and my Janome, but a recent (rare) power outage here in OR fried some capaciters on my LCD TV. The TV was not on a surge protector.

I just read of a woman getting lightening through her phone and getting burned. She said her mom always told her not to use the phone, but it took this to get her to listen.