Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc..... >

Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc.....

Buying fabric at Walmart, Joann's, etc.....

Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 AM

I worked at Joann's for many years and bought tons of fabric, never knowing the difference between that and LQS fabs. OH WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Next time I need big yardage, I will bite the bullet and buy from my LQS, without a doubt. Joann's "designer" brands are good, but priced about the same as LQS. You can almost tell the quality of Joann's fabs by the price - and they have a big range of prices.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 AM

I touch it and feel it. If I like what I feel, I buy it. It is that simple.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:45 AM

Quality fabrics will give you a quality quilt. A quality quilt will last longer through washings and wear. Cheaper fabric from Wal-Mart, some of JoAnns will be a cheaper looser woven fabric.
A better quality fabric is thicker, a closely woven fabric. Hold a cheap fabric and then a good quality fabric you will be able to tell the different easily by the feel. Better quality fabrics from a quilt store will produce a better quality quilt, you will be able to look at the finished quilt and tell right away if the fabric is a cheap fabric or a better quality fabric.
I prefer to buy good quality fabrics, buying when they have thier sales. I would rather buy fewer yards of better quality fabrics than more yardage of cheaper fabrics.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:45 AM

ditto
Old 08-25-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Some folks on here will tell you to buy only LQS but I won't. I shop Walmart fabric and have been extremely happy with the quilts I make. You just want to make sure that the fabric isn't too thin. Honestly I've seen fabric at the LQS that I wouldnt put in a quilt. Every place has their good and bad fabric. For me it's all about the price tag, I can't afford the expensive stuff especially when I can find the same item cheaper else where.
I too am a cost conscious fabric buyer; but I make sure it is of good quality before buying; I even find many beautiful fabrics at the thrift shops - sometimes almost full bolts of it - be sure it does not smell smokey, stale or moldy before you purchase it - it is hard to get them smelling nice and sometimes you can't... but be a cautious buyer, and seek bargains of good quality - wherever you might be...
Old 08-25-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
Buy where you find what you like and can afford. I love my LQS and spend quite a bit there. I also buy from JoAnn and WalMart. I try very hard to use the same quality fabric throughout a quilt. Where it comes from is not important.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:13 AM

I was told by the owner of my LQS that they make 3 runs of fabric. The first goes to quilt stores, next a store like Joanns and the third to smaller stores I am not sure if you have heard of Ben Franklin that would be a place it would go. I am not sure where Walmart would fit in.

I have noticed lately the LQS fabric is not as good quality as it used to be
Old 08-25-2011, 05:14 AM

It's wonderful that you feel confident enough to embark on a Baltimore Album quilt. I have admired them for years, but have not made one yet. My feeling is this type of quilt is destined to become an heirloom; I would buy the best fabric I could afford for this project. Having said that, I agree with some of the other responders that it is possible to get good fabric at JoAnn's. You just have to touch and feel. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

I've found that how a fabric is like AFTER it's been washed and dried is a good thing to know.

I like Kona cottons for some things, but I think it's unwieldy for applique work.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:17 AM

I have purchased fabric from Walmart, JoAnn's, rummage sales, flea markets and about everywhere else. I agree that I don't like the thinner or stiff fabric. Once you start "feeling" the fabric, you'll see what we all mean. I have found that I can buy very good quality fabric online that is in the price range of Walmart and JoAnns. Buy what you like and can afford. Good Luck.