Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Alternative patterns for quilts for Vets? >
  • Alternative patterns for quilts for Vets?

• Alternative patterns for quilts for Vets?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 PM

Where did you get the extra large Carpenters Star pattern. It looks really nice and I think I could make it quickly enough to give away.???????? Thanks for the info. I found some prefer a blue jean type quilt and I leave the pockets in it for keeping various things easily. Its always a hit with t he pockts.
    Old 09-16-2011, 08:33 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltapillow
    Where did you get the extra large Carpenters Star pattern. It looks really nice and I think I could make it quickly enough to give away.???????? Thanks for the info. I found some prefer a blue jean type quilt and I leave the pockets in it for keeping various things easily. Its always a hit with t he pockts.
    Here is a pdf that was written to show the layout for the Carpenters Star.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-152544-1.htm
    This is a tutorial that will give you the size of the finished squares required to make different sized quilts. Just go to the bottom of the tutorial.
    http://www.quiltfrog.com/fourhour.html
    Old 09-17-2011, 04:46 AM

I love the Carpenter's star made with HSTs. It goes together fast. If you want it rectangular, you can add inner borders top and bottom only, and then add a finishing border.
    Old 09-17-2011, 08:41 AM

I am a vet. I am not a returning vet from though, but when I was in VA hospital to have surgery I was given a lap quilt and it was not red, white and blue. I just love it and when I sit down at home of evening I cover up with it. It reminds me that someone cared enough to make it. I was in service during Vietnam Era.
    Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 AM

I am a vet. I am not a returning vet from though, but when I was in VA hospital to have surgery I was given a lap quilt and it was not red, white and blue. I just love it and when I sit down at home of evening I cover up with it. It reminds me that someone cared enough to make it. I was in service during Vietnam Era.
    Old 09-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Unless things have changed recently, they would like the majority of quilts that are red, white, and blue--but there are are a certain amount of servicemen and women who would like other colors.[/quote]

This is from the QOV website: As they say not all prefer RWB quilts and they accept quilts as long as they are within the size guidelines and have a presentation bag to go with them.
    " The most popular colors are Red, White and Blue. Patriotic themes are loved and most often requested. Although 10% of our military are women, when given a choice, most of them choose patriotic colors or designs as well. BUT...be advised that not all recipients want Red, White, Blue, patriotic.

What NONE of the recipients want are fabrics which are inappropriate...such as juvenile fabrics intended for children. What will happen if you choose to go this way is that your quilt may sit on a shelf gathering dust."
    Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 AM

I dont know of any organizations for the quilts but I have a daughter in the air force and she told me whatever quilt I make her do not use red white blue. She sees it everyday and doesn't want to decorate her home in patriotic colors.
    Old 09-18-2011, 08:39 AM

I have a question for you all. I have just been asked to make a quilt for a friend's son who just got a medical discharge after 15 years in the Marines. He also just returned from his last tour "over there". He definitely wants Marine colors and/or the red white and blue. My question is, what are Marine colors? I just thought they were blue like the Navy. Does anyone have a Marine logo I could copy and applique onto the center block of this quilt? Or a Marine Sargent Patch of Rank photo, even better perhaps?
    Old 09-18-2011, 09:16 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by wildyard
    I have a question for you all. I have just been asked to make a quilt for a friend's son who just got a medical discharge after 15 years in the Marines. He also just returned from his last tour "over there". He definitely wants Marine colors and/or the red white and blue. My question is, what are Marine colors? I just thought they were blue like the Navy. Does anyone have a Marine logo I could copy and applique onto the center block of this quilt? Or a Marine Sargent Patch of Rank photo, even better perhaps?
    When I googled it said the Marine colors were red and yellow.
    Old 09-18-2011, 09:23 AM

gosh, I was way wrong, I thought it was navy blue, red and gold... sheesh lol