Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Just returned from our 1st trip with a GPS. Wow. >

Just returned from our 1st trip with a GPS. Wow.

Just returned from our 1st trip with a GPS. Wow.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:28 PM

We love ours!!! It saves a lot of disagreements!!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 PM

We have had portable ones for years. I got one in my Odyssey when we bought it last year, thought it would be the same. It has taken us out of our way, much longer distances, so now I don't completely trust it. I loved the others. We usually use the British accent and love when she says recalculating. And my husband does listen to her better than he listens to me. We named ours because she gets so excited if we turn wrong, we call her the B word.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:17 PM

can you tell me more about this GPS so I will know what to look for at our SAMS?
Jeanne in GA
Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM

We have one but my husband argues with it. Just can't bear to ask directions which is what he thinks he's doing when he turns it on.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:00 PM

Love the GPS in the phone....except that it nearly put us in an Alabama swamp last weekend while traveling. The road deadended but it told us to keep going 3.4 more miles. Then when we turned rather than to go into the swamp, it kept insisting that we turn around and go the "right" way.....
Old 10-13-2011, 02:04 PM

When they work, they're great. Mine has often tried to take me 40 miles out of the way and then take me to the dessert to leave me for dead.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis
Yes, I have one in my car and its wonderful - especially when you go out of town - you can look for gas, food, etc and if you take a wrong turn it will get you back on track.

Or keep repeating, "Make U turn when possible." I got so tired of hearing that until it became rather funny.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:57 PM

My husband and I have had 2 experiences with GPS
The first we were in San Francisco and ended up in a parking lot of a supermarket, and were trying to get to a dog show
Then, we were in Ha, and saw that the taxi driver depended on GPS to get us to where we wanted to go. Ok, we'll give the guy a shot.
We ended up being rescued by another cab and driver. I got the impression the first guy was going to do whatever the GPS said, whether it made sense or not.

Maybe I'm too old for these new fangled maps. I'll stick with the old paper kind
Old 10-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
Originally Posted by athomenow
This is a funny thread to me. We used it last night in our roadtrip and I made some wrong turns because I wasn't listening to her. But she got me back on track pretty quick. Mine says "Take the motorway" instead of the freeway. I think she's British!
When my fiance got his GPS, he chose the British accent because he thought the American voice sounded like it was shouting at him. ;)
You know a man has trouble following a woman's directions no matter what language she speaks, I know that's the real reason my DH resists getting one.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:18 PM

They are only as good as the maps that are loaded into them and sometimes they are not updated! I go to St louis a lot( I'm from there!) and even tho 370 was completed a decade or so ago it is not recognized on my GPS ...and I have two of them! Go figure. You have to look at the overview ap to see if the route makes sense. It will choose the first options to get you where you are going but it does not
mean that it is the best option.
Sandy