Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Just returned from our 1st trip with a GPS. Wow. >

Just returned from our 1st trip with a GPS. Wow.

Just returned from our 1st trip with a GPS. Wow.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
I never rely on mine anymore. We used it to get home from a short trip and it ended up taking us on a "road" called River Road in PA that was nothing but curves. Ay one stop the incline was so steep we couldn't even see the road over the hood of the car.I said if I tried to tell someone where I was they would have never found me. It was a deserted back road through some park.. Another time it took us through downtown Richmond VA on a trip back from Florida.
You have to look at the overall route map in the GPS to determine if the route it wants to take you on makes sense. You have to be "smarter" than the GPS. Depending on the settings, it can and will take you on a route that does not make sense. they are not perfect but close. Check your settings to see how they are set up. They are not fool proof but I won't live without my GPS.
sandy
Old 10-13-2011, 04:25 AM

We have OnStar in one car and a GPS in the other. Like them both. When I asked my husband if he preffered the male voice or female voice he replied" i've been getting directions from a female most of my life so why quit now!"
Old 10-13-2011, 04:30 AM

we live in the country and when people come over from a distance, we have to tell them NOT to follow the GPS. I guess they are fine in the city but around here they will send you down a snowmobile trail or a cow path. Or take a very long way around instead of the shortest way.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:13 AM

Love my GPS, Jack. He went AWOL for a few months and I lamented for him so much that I had to replace him. We got a new one and, lo and behold, Jack appeared on the kitchen counter the next day. Go figure. So now we have Jack and Frank. The male voice is clearer than the female voice on both GPS's.

We gave Jack to our son at college "just in case" his "summer job" boss needs him to go somewhere and do something for him.

Frank is newer, better, has traffic and lifetime maps, and was significantly cheaper than Jack.

We do, however, look at a real map before using the GPS. We decide ahead of time which way to go knowing after a while the GPS will get in step with where we're going. The mute button is our best friend until the Jack or Frank finally agree with our route.

Love the GPS, but know how to use a map when I need to!

Also, if you're on a hike, the GPS will keep track of how far you've gone. Good for times when you only want to hike a couple miles out.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:44 AM

I don't leave home without it. It's been a lifesaver when driving through unfamiliar cities. Having it to direct you to the correct lane is great.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:52 AM

We like to get ours frustrated by not turning where she says to turn. RECALCULATING Sometimes she sounds like she is getting upset and gets a little abrupt. My husband calls her Bitchin' Betty.
I was really glad we took her to Florida with us. We had a rental car and no clue where we were going. She kept us on track but we think she secretly works for the Florida toll commission. We spent nearly $50.00 in tolls that week we were in the Orlando area!
She has gotten us out of some pretty rough situations. She was worth every penny.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

mine always says Recalculating!!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:05 AM

I have the knight Rider version for a GPS.... it lights up and even sounds like Kitt! I love it. when you turn him on he says your name and everything. "***, Where would you like to go today?" it's great.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:45 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

LOL thinking maybe I need to get one .. Even with a map I get lost !LOL so my hubby tells me all the time ! I am pretty good with directions tho !LOL
Old 10-13-2011, 07:31 AM

Our GPS's name is Martha. She can sometimes take the long way around. :)