Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Just returned from our 1st trip with a GPS. Wow. >

Just returned from our 1st trip with a GPS. Wow.

Just returned from our 1st trip with a GPS. Wow.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:18 PM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

GPS's are the bomb! They not only keep us from getting lost, usually anyway, but entertain us too! We travel many thousands of miles every year with our RV and use 2 at the same time. His and hers of course, but we've found getting 2 opinions from 2 different brands very helpful at times! Bear in mind we are 75 ft long with toad hooked up :shock:
And we still end up making u-turns! But that usually because DH refuses to turn when I tell him to or he changes his mind for the umptenth time!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-270325.jpe  
Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 PM

I'm a map gal. I've never experienced one except in a rental car. I didn't pay to have it turned on, but that did NOT stop it from trying to get me to get to the Dallas airport every blessed time I got in the car. Grrrr... No idea how to shut it off, so I just kept grumping at it. That didn't make it shut up either, but I felt a bit better.
The only time I wished it was maybe turned on was when I ended up at a four way stop deep in LA. Hmmm-it seems street signs were not a priority in the sticks out there. I went all four ways through that intersection; spent probably at least half an hour going back and forth and sideways. Oh-no houses out there either! I did eventually make it to where I was supposed to though. I still like my maps best.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 AM

We love our Garmin. It took us around a Huge traffic jam in St Louis- through residential area and we thought for sure we were lost. Came out exactly where we needed to be to get on interstate for our destination.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by emerald46
Don't travel without Maggie (my Garmin). New car has one built in. My first went in any car we were in - it has been all over Canada, Ireland and England. Got the update for UK/Ireland dated Jan 2011 before we left..only problem was part of the toll road in Ireland was not completed until March. I change the accent once in awhile just for fun. "Recalulating" is her favorite phrase because DH never wants to follow directions.
My DH takes wrong turns just to her the voice say recalculating. It makes him laugh. The first time we used it, in our own neck of the woods he took a lot of wrong turns. When we arrived at our driveway the voice said "Home. Finally". We just about died laughing!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 AM

My DH received a GPS for Christmas. When we go on a trip to someplace we haven't been, he'll set the GPS. And turns it on in the driveway, knowing he is not going to go the way the thing tells him to go. His short cuts!! Then the lady's voice says 'recalculating'. I got so tired of hearing her, I actually started calling her the Road B#$%H!! I told DH I am going to read the instructions and either get another voice or turn her down.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:17 AM

We love our "lady in the box". Been all over the US and she was amazingly accurate. We love to take an exit or head to something of interest, just so we can hear her get her panties in a bunch and say...recalculating, with a British attitude!!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:34 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ccrow99
We love our "lady in the box". Been all over the US and she was amazingly accurate. We love to take an exit or head to something of interest, just so we can hear her get her panties in a bunch and say...recalculating, with a British attitude!!!!
Errr - that would be 'her knickers in a knot'! :lol:

I changed mine from the woman to the man because I was sure she was getting a testy tone in her voice if I took a wrong turn - the man is much more supportive and forgiving. If I go wrong he has a soothing tone in his voice like 'never mind dear, I'll get you back on track'. And there's me, pretending to be a feminist! :lol:
Old 10-13-2011, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow
This is a funny thread to me. We used it last night in our roadtrip and I made some wrong turns because I wasn't listening to her. But she got me back on track pretty quick. Mine says "Take the motorway" instead of the freeway. I think she's British!

You can choose the language/accent/gender on the GPS! I could not do my sales job without my GPS!

In ragardvto my cell phone....someonewould have to e pretty to care what is on mine!
Sandy
Old 10-13-2011, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by tammy cosper
Lol...I realized last nite when looking at photos on my new phone, that it has a folder with pics that were taken at my house. And where the name of the folder is it has my address.lol Thats what stuff the gps on our phones can do. It will tell where I was when I took a pic. WOW!
Tammy
You can turn that function off.
S
Old 10-13-2011, 03:31 AM

I never rely on mine anymore. We used it to get home from a short trip and it ended up taking us on a "road" called River Road in PA that was nothing but curves. Ay one stop the incline was so steep we couldn't even see the road over the hood of the car.I said if I tried to tell someone where I was they would have never found me. It was a deserted back road through some park.. Another time it took us through downtown Richmond VA on a trip back from Florida.