Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I out of line here? >

Am I out of line here?

Am I out of line here?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I would have done the same thing, they are just making money on the freight.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 AM

I agree shipping costs have gotten out of hand. I am a small business owner and hate to charge my customers shipping but it is either that or raise prices. As for the handling it can sometimes take us 1/2 hour and a lot of materials to get a box ready to ship. It is pretty much the cost of doing business.

Take into account how much it would have cost you in gas and your time to go to the store and buy what you were needing. Not taking into account how much more you probably would have spent on other "impulse" items while you were in the store.

I agree they should have told you that shipping was extra for the free yardage. Unless it doubled your shipping costs I probably would have just paid it. In the long run, it probably would have saved you money!!!!!
It is always a nice surprise to come home and find a package. I think it is better that coming home with a shopping bag.

I ordered most of my Christmas presents on line, some I paid shipping for, some I didn't. It comes down to how much you really want the item and was the shipping really that much in light of gas prices and time spent.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 AM

Wildyard -- good for you. I hate scheme's that cost us more money! We still have to get together and have that cup of coffee.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 AM

I got caught up in a similar situation. I ordered an item "as seen on tv" on line. They offered 1 free item if I ordered 2. The first 2 totaled $9.99. With postage ...I ended up paying $24+. The postage am't didn't show til after I'd clicked "pay". I didn't bother trying to cancel the order but I learned my lesson!
To add insult to it, I later saw the same item priced cheaper at our local Walgreen's.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by grocifer View Post
Wildyard -- good for you. I hate scheme's that cost us more money! We still have to get together and have that cup of coffee.
I'm ready when you are!! Hugs and smilesssssss, Linda
Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by brightmet View Post
I agree shipping costs have gotten out of hand. I am a small business owner and hate to charge my customers shipping but it is either that or raise prices. As for the handling it can sometimes take us 1/2 hour and a lot of materials to get a box ready to ship. It is pretty much the cost of doing business.

Take into account how much it would have cost you in gas and your time to go to the store and buy what you were needing. Not taking into account how much more you probably would have spent on other "impulse" items while you were in the store.

I agree they should have told you that shipping was extra for the free yardage. Unless it doubled your shipping costs I probably would have just paid it. In the long run, it probably would have saved you money!!!!!
It is always a nice surprise to come home and find a package. I think it is better that coming home with a shopping bag.

I ordered most of my Christmas presents on line, some I paid shipping for, some I didn't. It comes down to how much you really want the item and was the shipping really that much in light of gas prices and time spent.
It in fact more than doubled my shipping costs by a few cents. I was really surprised by that! It was not anything I needed, just a treat for myself so I didn't suffer in cancelling.. well, I didn't suffer too much. LOL
Old 02-14-2012, 09:44 AM

I think you made the right choice to cancel. I don't think you would have been happy with the material if you had over paid and you would not have been happy with anything you made with it.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by gotta-sew View Post
I just had a simular experience with just a little twist. Someone on this board gave a link to a well known company that was having what seemed to be a really nice sale. I clicked on the link. I found something I could really use at a nice sale price. I bought it through PayPal. It was free shipping or so I thought . I put in all my information and never once did shipping charges come up. So knowing it was a short term sale I presumed it was a free shipping weekend. Well a couple of days later I get an email informing me that they went ahead and charged my PayPal account with the shipping charges, without my consent. The shipping charges were more than the item I was buying. If I had known the shipping charges, I would never have made the purchase. At that combined price it no longer was a good deal, more of a rip off. I tried to cancell the order. I haven't gotten anything as yet to verify where I am at on this one. Nooooo I will never buy from this company again. I have some real concerns about PayPal allowing them to increase the total without my knowledge. I didn't know that could happen, but it did.
Contact PayPal. They should stand behind you with this one.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
the amazon's vendors cannot budge on their shipping costs per amazon's policy. shipping charges are per item and cannot be combined.
That isn't always true. There is a line on the shipping and handling page that allows you to select "combined shipping" to get as many packages per shipping as possible. I have been able to do this when bying books. Sometimes the shipment cannot be combined, but it is usually because Amazon has warehouses all over the country. It could be that one item is on the opposite shore. sometimes the vendors will not sell if they cannot charge for shipping on each item.

It seems to me this case was about misleading information concerning the cost of the shipping and handling. In this case, I would have cancelled my order as well.

Sorry you had this difficulty.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:46 AM

I am a Amazon Prime member for the exact reason of shipping charges.

After living overseas and having the high cost of shipping, I found that the Prime membership is really a cost saver. I buy a lot from Amazon because I like their return policy as well as the customer service. I know the cost up front can be a problem, but I find I save so much more over the year that it is, in the long run, a bargain.

As for the vendor that changed their ship price AFTER the fact. I would have canceled and reported to PAYPAL the problem. I only shop from vendor listed here on the board that have a proven track record. Money is too tight to be wasted!