Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone thought about this? >

Has anyone thought about this?

Has anyone thought about this?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:28 AM

I have already had this discussion with my children as I have waaaay too much stuff, including a storage shed of fabric (the girls come "shopping" here) and 11 sewing machines!

I am lucky that my youngest daughter and my daughter-in-law both sew and quilt (and I'm starting to teach my 7yr old granddaughter to sew also) so they are going to choose what they want to keep and what will be sold. I've told them of the value involved and not to sell cheap!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 AM

The Public Trustee will auction all of my stuff, pay the creditors and give the rest to charity.It won't concern me as I will be dead.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:23 AM

My husband and I were cleaning the house and packing stuff away in the attic (crawl space) and we told our son to come over and take what he wanted or to get his stuff and get it to his home. Well, you know sons!!!!!! We ended up packing the stuff and putting it in the attic, but before we taped down the boxes, I got out my stationary, envelopes and plastic sandwich bags and put a note in each and every box! "I know how hot it can be up here. You will remember I told you to come and get your stuff before we did this." Love, your Mother - or - "Are we having fun yet?" - or - "We love you, Gary." - or - "You never did listen to me!" So after we are in Heaven looking down on him and his family, we will watch him cussing us out!!!!!! And laugh!!!!!! I have to say this though, not too long ago he called and said "Do you still have the Pong game?" "Yes, it's in the attic." "Oh!" So when he has time, he can go up in the hotter'n heck attic and get his Pong - to show his kids the best thing since Game Boy or whatever it's called.

My sister will get my fabric. My memory quilt will lay on my coffin and will be flanked by the quilts my grandmother,mother and I made - in lieu of flowers! They will go to my son and my grandchildren. But I am only 73 and I have a lot more quilts to make!

OK, back to my sewing. Edie
Old 02-18-2012, 04:29 AM

My small quilt guild was contacted by a daughter of a quilter who passed. She donated the fabric to our guild. My garage is FULL of boxes with patterns and fabric in it. I'll be bringing it to the next meeting for people to take what they would like. When they are done with it, I'm planning on contacting nursing homes to see if they have sewing programs or not.
Our guild is planning to support the Alzheimer Art Quilt Initiative and most of us plan on making several wall hangings to send in. I know that the ladies will make a lot of donation quilts of different sizes out of it - and the cutesy prints I believe we are going to make pillowcases for that pillowcase project as well.
Every 3 weeks we have a Sewing Saturday and March 31 is AAQI day. I need to schedule a pillowcase day as well...
Old 02-18-2012, 05:50 AM

I too have talked to my DH about this. I told him that if I die. My 3 quilt buddies are to come and take everything in my room. Just so he doesn't have to deal with this part. He told me we will update our Wills. Just so he will not have to deal with my sister.(which we both love dearly).But she can be a bear at times.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:53 AM

The only thing I have told my husband is that all this stuff is worth a lot of money. I guess I need to get specific as to how to disperse it if anything should happen to me. I hate the thought. I plan to live long enough to use all my stash!! I could set a record for longevity.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Honestly, I don't care because I'd be dead and not it know it anyway, or maybe they could stuff it in with me?. But I think DH would call my friend and she'd go thru it, then donate the rest to my guild. DH won't bother with a yard sale
Old 02-18-2012, 06:18 AM

I have already told my daughter who sews, the other two do not, that when I am gone she can take all of it herself, if the other two don't want any. After reading the posts today, I suppose putting it in writing would be a good idea.

Lori, Tartan and Mom3, I like your ideas.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:35 AM

For health reasons, I had to move in with my DD, & had to find someplace for my extensive stash - not only fabric, but yarn, crochet thread, counted xstitch supplies, etc. After my DD took what she wanted of it, I split it up between several nursing homes in my area - they were all so happy to get the supplies. Everything I own that has any value also has a tag or sticker on the bottom or some obscure side, telling who it belongs to when I go. Some of those items went to their new home when I broke up housekeeping - others I just couldn't bear to part with at the time, so they are still with me.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:42 AM

I recently inherited my dearest friend's stash when she died from brain cancer. I loved her alive and love her still, but my dear God - what a mess! I've brought home most of what was yardage, but there's still a walk in closet full of scraps and boxes and boxes of I don't know what. And the Books!!!!! Holy Moly!!! There's a weekend coming up when a bunch of friends are getting together to finish the clean out and hopefully we can get it done that weekend. As I bring things home I am mindful of keeping it all neatly sorted out to avoid having someone come along after me and deal wlith the mess I have on my hands and I HOPE to use most of it before it becomes part of my estate. Thank you Julia - Love You, but not your mess! (She knows this, I'm sure.)